MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar

Started by STEVIE G, September 15, 2019, 17:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Spectacular explosions (Pixel fest + screen shake) are in ... it's now pretty satisfying to blow things up. 
Added life bars to all the ships and smoke bellows out if they are under 25%.
Added points for killing different ships and points off for missed shots (encourages accuracy).

Had a decent paytest with a friend which highlighted a few things that weren't quite up to scratch:

* You can now see more of the screen in the direction you are pointing + the direction you are traveling.
* Reduced momentum and increased thrust power - handling is much better now.
* Added mouse control which is great fun ... ship turns to face the cursor, left button thrusts and right shoots.  Think 'Zarch' but without the pitching. Can add similar for analog controller at some stage but keyboard is still there.
* Added a few sound effects.
* Stole the text functionality from Vanarchy and fonts.  May change these if I get time.

The obligatory recent screenshots ...

iWasAdam

Xerra

Come on, Steve. Lets have a preview video. See it in action :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Looks really good fun and great work on the chunky pixel work :) - I see you've nicked my quote from ExBiEn :P *cough*
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

Quote from: Xerra on September 29, 2019, 20:45:20

Nah, made that mistake before.  Youtube always seems to make 60+ fps video's seem choppy.

Quote from: Qube on September 29, 2019, 21:04:44
Looks really good fun and great work on the chunky pixel work :) - I see you've nicked my quote from ExBiEn :P *cough*

Ah, that's where I last saw it again ;D  It's only a test so it will change at some point. 

Wanted the background to feel more alive so added some ripple particles to the water standing stones and a few animation frames for the trees and bushes.  Not 100% sure about the later so might not make it in the final build.

Been working on the AI mostly - my favourite part other than the lowres graphics of course.  The enemies are far too good now so need to work on dumbing them down otherwise you won't last 2 minutes.   I'll need to stop watching them battle it out or I'll never get this done.  ;D

The Gunstar and a few battle weary Allies gang up on an enemy Generator ...

Derron

Water ripples: yes! good idea!

AI: maybe dumber AI players do less often redecide on what to do next / where to move next. Means they move longer in the direction they decided some time ago instead of reacting to target ship position changes right in the moment of the change. Give them a different "reaction time".

Also AI could contain some kind of "frightened"-level or "stupid bravity". It defines how aggressive a AI ship goes into battles regardless of how big the chances are to finish the battle as winner.

bye
Ron

STEVIE G

Quote from: Xerra on September 29, 2019, 20:45:20

Here's an AI stress test recorded at 640x360 and 60fps.  Not as smooth as reality but gives an idea of gameplay.

.. and yes, the ducks quack when you hit them  ;D

Derron

what is the reason for this pinkish "fountain" the circulating spaceships spit out into the air from their center? Is it some kind of "we need to pollute the planet to make it a comfortable living area for our species" thing?

Just think the whole thing might be a bit "particle overkill" already.

@ ducks
They look a bit "thick" because of their wings' vertical pixel amount (think this is because of the camera angle?).

Aside of the particle overkill it looks like some enjoyable frenzy ;)

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

QuoteJust think the whole thing might be a bit "particle overkill" already.

Nope, I think its a visual feast and makes you struggle (only a little) to keep up your spatial awareness. I likes it - a lot! As ever, Mr G's work has me transfixed, relishing playing it ;)

QuoteAside of the particle overkill it looks like some enjoyable frenzy ;)

Vote +1  ^-^ ^-^

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

STEVIE G

Quote from: Derron on October 06, 2019, 20:22:14
what is the reason for this pinkish "fountain" the circulating spaceships spit out into the air from their center? Is it some kind of "we need to pollute the planet to make it a comfortable living area for our species" thing?

Just think the whole thing might be a bit "particle overkill" already.

@ ducks
They look a bit "thick" because of their wings' vertical pixel amount (think this is because of the camera angle?).

Aside of the particle overkill it looks like some enjoyable frenzy ;)

bye
Ron

Yip, polluting the planet to kill the existing species and their germs.

The duck is chunky but it's a space duck and that's what they look like.  :P

It is a bit of a particle fest but that was the plan.  I like particles.

Quote from: 3DzForMe on October 06, 2019, 20:27:57
QuoteJust think the whole thing might be a bit "particle overkill" already.

Nope, I think its a visual feast and makes you struggle (only a little) to keep up your spatial awareness. I likes it - a lot! As ever, Mr G's work has me transfixed, relishing playing it ;)

QuoteAside of the particle overkill it looks like some enjoyable frenzy ;)

Vote +1  ^-^ ^-^

Cheers!

chalky

Looks absolutely incredible - loving the particles - brilliant work!

iWasAdam

Steve Elliott

It is a bit of a particle fest but that was the plan.  I like particles.

I never would have guessed  ;)  Me too.  It definitely has a Zarch-look, but also reminds me of a Jeff minter game regards the over-the-top visuals (which overwhelm at first, until you get used to them).  So you must also add an appropriate sound track to match the fast gameplay and particle mayhem.  The water particle effects are a really nice touch.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Coder Apprentice

This looks awesome! Please make this a commercial product after the compo. After buying POLYMANIACS I would be happy to be your customer again. Take my money Stevie!

:D