MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar

Started by STEVIE G, September 15, 2019, 17:01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Basic premise is that you are the last Elite Pilot sent to a distant world to protect them from Alien Invaders.  You've got your Gunstar, unlimited bullets and some missiles.  The Invaders have the numbers and are trying to destroy what life remains on the planet.

Progress has been pretty good over the weekend.

* Random landscape generator built.  I wanted it to be simple so it didn't distract from the action.  There's still work to be done there with some foliage and buildings for variety.
* Designed and rendered 10 enemy ships.
* Implemented particle effects.
* Implemented mini map
* Implemented ship/Ship collisions.

Plan to work on the shooting and general gameplay next. 

A few recent screenshots..

Steve Elliott

Particle overload!  Marvellous.    :D

There's still work to be done there with some foliage and buildings for variety.

That would really bring it to life.  Looks good so far.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Santiago

Nice!!!!!! i allways love your style!!! , i wan to try it!!!! :)

Qube

Liking the look of this, always loved chunky pixel art work which you are great at.

Particle shadows too :o - Now that's just totally over the top ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Stevie chucks down the old indie coding gauntlet and everyone's thinking about raising their games..... Again. Great stuff so far
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

STEVIE G

Added some buildings and trees etc... to break up the landscape.  It's mean't to be a Mars Colony so a bit of work required.

GaborD

Looks fantastic!
Really really good stuff, love how much you get out of a few pixels.

Steve Elliott

Looks great, and I'm sure even better when you see everything moving.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Triple shot powerup and new enemy ship ... the Attractor (drains energy and pulls you in).  I'm thinking gameplay similar to Zarch but in 2d.

Also, testing out offscreen enemy indicators at the edge of the screen, rather than a scanner.  Not 100% sure yet.

STEVIE G

Finished all the enemies now.  Meet the Generator (launches enemy ships), the Repulsor (can fire in any direction)  and the Mothership (refuels and repairs you).

I've decided to stick with a small radar (top left) and I'll add other GUI info in the corners where require.

I think I've done enough on the background graphics for now.  May add a few more things nearer deadline if I have time.  On to the gameplay now.  Explosions must be spectacular!

Derron

do not forget to add some purple rabbits jumping around (in other words: alien animals .. ;D).

Looking good - albeit the "earth tone" for Martian aliens is a bit of a ..cliché ;D

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Just the attention to detail in your Radar gets my vote  8) Attempted a Radar thing a while ago - its fair to say it eluded mr pretty well  ;)

How about incorporating a tornado - TTL style (old spectrum game) ..... sorry for the random request, Couldn't help myself! Seems a little less relevant seeing as Typhoons have replace them! 

Derron

Some "dune"-esque worms could be some dangerous "static location"-enemy.

bye
Ron

STEVIE G

Quote from: Derron on September 23, 2019, 06:56:34
Some "dune"-esque worms could be some dangerous "static location"-enemy.

bye
Ron

Great idea - will leave that to closer to deadline ... maybe they jump out of these holes and attack your ship if it comes close (like the space worm in Empire Strikes Back)  ;D

Quote from: 3DzForMe on September 22, 2019, 22:17:48
Just the attention to detail in your Radar gets my vote  8) Attempted a Radar thing a while ago - its fair to say it eluded mr pretty well  ;)

How about incorporating a tornado - TTL style (old spectrum game) ..... sorry for the random request, Couldn't help myself! Seems a little less relevant seeing as Typhoons have replace them! 

The circular radar is pretty simple, the older offscreen one was a little more tricky with a little bit of linear algebra but give me a shout if you need some tips in the future.
The main ship is very like a Tornado minus the tail and took a while to get it the way I wanted so no plans to change anything.    ;D

3DzForMe

I love the trailing smoke from the after burners - pixel art in stills, looking forward to playing on my big telly ;) ;D