Ooops
October 28, 2020, 05:41:38 PM

Author Topic: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar  (Read 9941 times)

Offline STEVIE G

MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar
« on: September 15, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »
Basic premise is that you are the last Elite Pilot sent to a distant world to protect them from Alien Invaders.  You've got your Gunstar, unlimited bullets and some missiles.  The Invaders have the numbers and are trying to destroy what life remains on the planet.

Progress has been pretty good over the weekend.

* Random landscape generator built.  I wanted it to be simple so it didn't distract from the action.  There's still work to be done there with some foliage and buildings for variety.
* Designed and rendered 10 enemy ships.
* Implemented particle effects.
* Implemented mini map
* Implemented ship/Ship collisions.

Plan to work on the shooting and general gameplay next. 

A few recent screenshots..

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol 2021
Re: MIX-IT-UP Comp Entry - Gunstar
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »
Particle overload!  Marvellous.    :D

There's still work to be done there with some foliage and buildings for variety.

That would really bring it to life.  Looks good so far.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
Raspberry Pi 3 and 4

Offline Santiago

• Blitz3d
    • Indiesoft
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
Nice!!!!!! i allways love your style!!! , i wan to try it!!!! :)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
  • I mostly code at night... Mostly.
    • SyntaxBomb - Indie Coders
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:54 AM »
Liking the look of this, always loved chunky pixel art work which you are great at.

Particle shadows too :o - Now that's just totally over the top ;D
Mac mini ( 2018 / 2020 ), 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 1TB NVMe, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch
Commodore VIC-20, 1.1Mhz MOS 6502 CPU, 5KB RAM, VIC ( 6560 ) GPU

Until the next time...

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:58:14 AM »
Stevie chucks down the old indie coding gauntlet and everyone's thinking about raising their games..... Again. Great stuff so far

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
Added some buildings and trees etc... to break up the landscape.  It's mean't to be a Mars Colony so a bit of work required.

Offline GaborD

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
Looks fantastic!
Really really good stuff, love how much you get out of a few pixels.

Offline Steve Elliott

• elgol 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
Looks great, and I'm sure even better when you see everything moving.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
MacOS Catalina, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Linux Mint 19.3, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
Raspberry Pi 3 and 4

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:27:24 AM »
Triple shot powerup and new enemy ship ... the Attractor (drains energy and pulls you in).  I'm thinking gameplay similar to Zarch but in 2d.

Also, testing out offscreen enemy indicators at the edge of the screen, rather than a scanner.  Not 100% sure yet.

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
Finished all the enemies now.  Meet the Generator (launches enemy ships), the Repulsor (can fire in any direction)  and the Mothership (refuels and repairs you).

I've decided to stick with a small radar (top left) and I'll add other GUI info in the corners where require.

I think I've done enough on the background graphics for now.  May add a few more things nearer deadline if I have time.  On to the gameplay now.  Explosions must be spectacular!

Offline Derron

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »
do not forget to add some purple rabbits jumping around (in other words: alien animals .. ;D).

Looking good - albeit the "earth tone" for Martian aliens is a bit of a ..cliché ;D

bye
Ron

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
Just the attention to detail in your Radar gets my vote  8) Attempted a Radar thing a while ago - its fair to say it eluded mr pretty well  ;)

How about incorporating a tornado - TTL style (old spectrum game) ..... sorry for the random request, Couldn't help myself! Seems a little less relevant seeing as Typhoons have replace them! 

Offline Derron

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 06:56:34 AM »
Some "dune"-esque worms could be some dangerous "static location"-enemy.

bye
Ron

Offline STEVIE G

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
Some "dune"-esque worms could be some dangerous "static location"-enemy.

bye
Ron

Great idea - will leave that to closer to deadline ... maybe they jump out of these holes and attack your ship if it comes close (like the space worm in Empire Strikes Back)  ;D

Just the attention to detail in your Radar gets my vote  8) Attempted a Radar thing a while ago - its fair to say it eluded mr pretty well  ;)

How about incorporating a tornado - TTL style (old spectrum game) ..... sorry for the random request, Couldn't help myself! Seems a little less relevant seeing as Typhoons have replace them! 

The circular radar is pretty simple, the older offscreen one was a little more tricky with a little bit of linear algebra but give me a shout if you need some tips in the future.
The main ship is very like a Tornado minus the tail and took a while to get it the way I wanted so no plans to change anything.    ;D

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 07:04:53 AM »
I love the trailing smoke from the after burners - pixel art in stills, looking forward to playing on my big telly ;) ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal