itch.io traffic

Started by Pfaber11, September 06, 2019, 11:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

I had a read and it seems if they claim it they can download it at any time like TGC giving AGK2 away a few weeks ago. I think that's what it means anyway. Well I've started a new game this evening . Maze 2 . probably gonna keep me busy for the next month or so . You know steve I've only started one app and not finished it . lost interest in it but it was a pretty good idea so after this one I may give it another shot. I only work on one at a time , think it would do my head in working on two or more.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

The way I see it is I'm learning my craft and hopefully I'll work out a way to earn a living along the way . I do have some ideas on how to make some money but it's pretty much out there and I need a lot more games in my collection first.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

RemiD

@Pfaber11>>so you are thinking about how to increase the traffic (visitors) on your game webpage and how to increase your convertion rate (sales), when your games look like unfinished prototypes ? well you have an interesting approach :P
but to confort you, it may work sometimes because i remember having bought a few "drafty games" (at 1-5USD), just because the weather was cold and i was bored. so there may be thousands of people like that during the winter days. lol ;)

to be more serious and helpful : if you like maze games, play the most popular ones, watch a few movies about that, and make your own similar modified version, but you need to improve your graphics style a little (it can still be simple shapes and fullbright colors np), but as it is now it looks like a messy draft. :-X

( let me try it (for free) and i give you others advices (for 2.99 USD or more) ;D )

Pfaber11

Yes remid  I know my graphics are not as good as some or most but I am rubbish at drawing . Used some imported graphics . Gonna put a Key on here so you can download the amazing maze game 2 to see what you think . I'm sure some people would like my style . well here's the free pass for itch.iohttps://pfaber11.itch.io/the-awesome-maze-game-2-android-edition/download/ikgOvM0ocuABYfHKqMdu4q68_BH2WqJj_4ao5ogW
Well here it is so you can take a look I'll be leaving it on here for all syntaxBomb folk. Is it really that bad? I actually quite like it . Maybe I'm deluded maybe .
sorry that was the Android edition here's the pc version.
https://pfaber11.itch.io/the-awesome-maze-game-2/download/Rc7hZIHZt9B7ekaIYE_3elqZalHdeAkbpoMuvmmu

Pfaber11

There you go remid have a look and tell me what you think . I think my maze2 game is pretty good maybe a little different to what you would expect but I actually like this game . I don't want you to hold back just say what you think . An honest opinion is what I would like even if you consider it to be total crap.

3DzForMe

Hi Pfaber,

I like your game, and it has potential. However, please do not take offence, I would consider your game as a good prototype to move forwards and improve upon.

For example, in my own little game I'm making at the moment, I used spheres simply as 'placeholders' with a view to replacing them with something a little more imaginative, arty?

Just some ideas to improve on what is a solid foundation to move forwards:

1.  Make some of the ghosts 'solid' so they have to move around the corridors like you
2.  (Not easy one this) Introduce a 'radar' top see where the ghosts are
3.  Texture the Spheres with a shiny gold texture

Good luck with your indie coding - I'm by no means an expert - every day is a school day for me too. RemiD may have come over as a little harsh, but his heart is in the right place  ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Pfaber11

Yes I see what you are saying basically I need to pay more attention to detail . remid I think it was you who bought my first game for a dollar that I released over a year ago . I haven't sold anything since . Given quite a few away though . Anyway I may do some more work on my maze game yet . Maybe I released it too early . I love it when I release a new game though.

Derron

As told you before (by IWasAdam): each game you "publish" has your name tagged on it. Release games which people would classify as "prototype" might influence if they follow your projects and buy a sequel/new game.

So try your best for each game - and don't be shy to update old games or unlist them if you do no longer feel they represent your capabilities.

@ pay more attention to detail
We are not talking about _details_ here but overall presentation. As already worked out the whole game looks (just judging visuals now) like a prototype game. Making the maze nice (add some lights for "mood" and atmosphere, make night levels, ... fiery places and so on) is what takes most time of the development. To get a prototype working is what takes least time (if you have a working _game_idea_ already).

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

Yes I take in what you guys are saying and I will up my game (pun) with my next offering . I think I need to spend more time on my projects . My last one only took 2 weeks and maybe I should of put a couple of months into it . I do like my games though and do play them quite regularly . They are definitely better than when I started . I like to have my own style of production and do things my way . I still have a lot to learn as far as programming goes but think it's slowly all coming together . Very shortly some of my games will be withdrawn from the internet or at least rewritten and should be a lot better such as xfighterz . I produced that game over a year ago and think I could do much better now with multiple levels etc. In fact I think I'll be doing that next . It was my third attempt at using AGK and I was rather green at that time and maybe still am a bit . I could easily spend the next six months to a year rewriting stuff and making it better and that's probably what I'm going to do . I guess at least I know what I'll be doing for the next year. I've now got way more experience than 12 to 18 months ago so should be able to make some pretty vast improvements . Animated explosions etc. Any way you all have a nice weekend while I limber up to make a start on xfighterz new edition. It was supposed to be a take on defender but done very badly but was good for me at the time .

iWasAdam

ok. lets take this in a different direction for you:
what I'm going to do is take a single sceenshot of your game as presented and then (using some quick photoshop) show you EXACTLY the same image but with just a little thought:

Step 1. color. when and when not to use it:

Immediately the (shove and old color texture) look is diminished and calmer - it already looks a bit more presentable

Step 2. add some color, but only where it really matters.

This is actually a very big step for you as you are going to have to find a way to color the floor separately from the walls - that means you are going to have to learn more about 3d and how it works.

Step 3. Light and shadows. plus the ghosts are not obvoius with their sizes, so lets hie the ones that look like they are behind the walls?

Again this is another huge step, as both lighting and shadows are complex beasts - but if you can get your head around them and make things work - the results will speak for themselves.
Do not Ignore what people like RemiD says. His previous 3d work has been spectacular - he knows his stuff very well.

Step 4: the UI. Lets get rid of the basic text. it look basic people can see its basic. it says "IM THE BASIC TEXT DISPLY. MY PROGRAMMER DOESN'T KNOW OR CARE TO CHANGE IT!"

I just cut and copied some UI bits and made them work a bit. See about the levels - the orbs now become stars and you have to find 3 of them. The time becomes a visual reminder or even food/health status.

This is the same game the same screen. See how presentation matters?

Pfaber11

Yes I think you guys know what you are talking about . Gonna look into how to make the walls a different color to the floor today . I know how to do this with a model but haven't worked this out for a height map yet . I do appreciate your time and effort and I do know I've a lot to learn. I'm off to do some digging . Bonjour

RemiD

@Pfaber11>>don't make the mistake to spend many months / years making a game and never finishing it (like i did), but at the same time don't fool yourself that releasing many primitive drafty games is a better approach... (look at the app stores !)

my critic was mostly that you talked about how to increase the number of visitors on your game webpage and then to convert them into buyers when they look like prototype / draft (even games in the competitions on this forum are more polished)

but having the desire to make something, and making it happen is a quality in itself (that i have rather lost concerning video games...) so don't change that, however maybe try to reach a minimum "quality" concerning graphics, but at the same time stay realistic because you are a lone dev (for example it could be DOS / amiga / PS1 / Saturn / N64 graphics "quality")

also what is really important is to stay consistant in the graphics style (texel size, complexity of the shapes, way each texture is drawn, uniform lighting / shading)

I do like my games though and do play them quite regularly . They are definitely better than when I started . I like to have my own style of production and do things my way
that's good, don't change that either, but go play similar games, and take a look at the comments of players, and see what you can mod / improve for your games.

RemiD

so i have briefly played your game, a few coments :
->considering the graphics complexity, the game should not be slow, even on my laptop.
->the ghost looks like smoothed shapes, so they may have more tris than necessary, and i bet that you don't hide those who are not visible ?
->the ghost don't seem to have any AI (to pursue / flee / find follow a path)
->no way to customize the controls (i use ZQSD not WASD)
->no way to customize the sounds volume (can be a real problem depending on the "gain" (db) of your sounds)
->your maze seems to be a heightmap with some area lower (for the corridors) and and some areas higher (for the walls), maybe you can set a LOD to decrease the number of triangles rendered ?

about the graphics style, each his own tastes, my only critic would be that it is not consistent (complexity of shapes, way of coloring, texel size)

good luck for the next ;)

Pfaber11

Thanks for the feedback hopefully I'll have something new to release before Christmas and it'll be my best game so far. Also thanks for having a play on it.