itch.io traffic

Started by Pfaber11, September 06, 2019, 11:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Derron you game is also in on sale  popular as well as recent .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

iWasAdam

QuoteMy aim is to get 2500 views in 30 days
Currently you aren't going to get even a 10th of the way unless you listen to your son:
Quoteyou should make games like that it's way better than your maze game

view's and downloads mean nothing - unless you demand to be noticed at any cost.

My only suggestion to you is to improve the quality of your games and your presentation.

Pfaber11

Well I was Adam the last three days have gone like this 565 views 195 views and 51 views so far today what's that just over 800 views in 3 days . I would say I'm right on track to getting 2500 in thirty days . 1700  to go . And yes most of my games aren't that good but I think the maze game is pretty good and skillful and I myself like playing it from time to time . Yes of coarse I would like to sell my games but part of the fun is just getting them out there . Isn't it great when you finish your game and get it uploaded onto the internet . Two of my games from last year are in the sale and I made them when I first started using AGK2 so I guess don't expect too much. I am exploring other avenues to sell my stuff but need to get a couple more games under my belt and this might not happen for another six months . We'll see . I need to average 85 views a day and I think I can accomplish that. Looking at my first and last games I think my programming has come on leaps and bounds.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Unfortunately I spent a couple of months learning python 3 and could of used that time to write another game. You know I have spoken to people who have spent over a year working on a project and get little to no views and downloads. I'm inbetween projects at the moment but have used my time on my website and improving and updating my games. Anyway I don't think python was a mistake as the grass is always greener. I really think AGK tier one is better for me . I know quite a bit of python now and enough to know if you want to write games in it then Panda 3D is the way forward and I just didn't get on with it. Not very user friendly for me anyhow. So that was that back to AGK2 which I know and love.

Derron

Knowing Python is always good - it is one of the most "anticipated" languages these years.

BTW - analytics of your game on itch.io say what I thought: the "deal hunters":

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

NP :)
You're definitely on the right track. Use the stats to tell you which are being looked at and downloaded - this will tell you what people like and you can start to focus in that direction - don't be upset if the direction is not the one you would prefer. Just use it as a guide.

Pfaber11

Yes I think I could slip into python mode again quite easily and it may come in handy sometime . It's the sort of language where you could be learning for ever though because of all the modules which there are many . I did quite get on with it in the end but I just didn't want to learn Panda 3D . Apparently using Panda 3d in python is supposed to be as fast as C++ . I think though for the time being to carry on with AGK2 tier one .

Pfaber11

This is what I've done so far and most of it has been done in the last 3 days.

Pfaber11

Well guys this is of a few moments ago . Hey Derron I hope you are doing ok so far it'll drop off to a trickle later . This is my best day as far as views are concerned but only 8 downloads which is a bit disappointing although that could change.

Derron

Do not forget that you sum up your whole games views...and maybe people (or search engines) are all visiting all the entries. Means maybe only 150 different users/machines visit your games (they check them all).

What also benefits from this sale might be the google ranking as more pages link to your game pages.

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

Yes I see what you're saying Ron . If I only had the one game it would be much less . But this aspires me to create more and hopefully better games in the future . In the last 12 months prior to doing this I got 175 views in all that time . Today I'm looking at it must be a thousand by now and there's a few hours to go .

Derron

Follow the "referers" (analytics of your games):
https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeGameFindings/comments/d0xypw/itchio_game_current_100_sales/?utm_source=ifttt

And others.

PS: +230 views and +2 downloads till now. I even got a new "starred" for the GenusPrime github repo ... so if at least one of the downloaders enjoyed my game then this is already a little win.

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

That's really cool Ron . Still an hour or two to go . Looked at all the referrers very interesting . Tonight I got more views than I got in a year in one hour . Some people say views and downloads don't matter but I beg to differ. 
  I've just noticed that I just became a senior member on syntax bomb . This also pleases me . Just wish I had worked harder and got more games under my belt . The more the merrier I think. I recently pulled all my stuff from Game Jolt as the figures on there were very depressing . I kept up itch.io because they were better . not exciting but better . The last few days have been awesome though. When the sale is over I'll put all my prices back up until I feel the need for some more excitement .

Derron

Instead of creating masses of games without improving your skills (except managing your code and to create gameplay) I would suggest to improve on asset skills, game convenience (guide the player, welcome them to your game ...).

If you want to keep games "easy" then do some arcade or logic games - they do not need as much polishing as casual games (housewifes are demanding!) or eg. shooter games (too much competition).

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

Yes I will indeed . The only two games I really find fun to play are my maze game and attack by air 2 the rest are ok but could of been better . I might make a new maze game yet but we'll see as I think that is the best one I've produced . I play it quite often and it is a challenge even for me to complete it . Pretty good game . But yes presentation like title screens I just use a pic of the gameplay rather than some nice art work. I do see this but I am doing ok so far . I do think it's time to raise the bar though and introduce an element of quality. I really do like my maze game though and attack by air two the Android edition.
But there we go one mans poison and all that. I did get some more downloads tonight but not as many as I'd of liked but still pleased to be honest.
  One thing about my presentation though Ron and that's you see what you get .