itch.io traffic

Started by Pfaber11, September 06, 2019, 11:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Hi just decided to have a 100% off sale on itch.io . Got 565 views yesterday and 20 downloads . That's 400 more views than I got in the previous 12 months and half the downloads I got in that time . Tried a 90% off sale where you could buy them for 14cents to 24 cents and it dried up immediately . Back to 100% off now and so far 56 views today since I last checked . Seems my stuff is only good to give away. Never mind my next project with AGK2 is going to be an epic bigger faster more levels etc.
Thinking of offering my services as an app game builder on my site could offer some very reasonable rates . Can't hurt to put it out there. My site is searchable on google bing and yahoo now . Don't seem to of got much traffic though.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

iWasAdam

Pfaber11

https://pfaber1.wixsite.com/myfreepcgames
This will get you to my site . Sorry took so long to reply had to go out . Not sure how to do a link to the sale .Seems to of slowed down today only got about 85 views so far today and no downloads yet . If you go to itch.io and click on  sale my stuffs in there somewhere.
Upgraded my site today to say if you need an Android or  PC app building to email me . It'll probably never get a bite but you never know . From small acorns and all that.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Derron

Think the "putting on sale" is what brings in new visitors (it is listed in the "sales" extra page then). Have mine for free since begin - and the browsergame (Ape's Banana Conquest) got a whopping 26 views in 4+ months. Genus Prime (winner of last syntax bomb competition) has 157 views and 26 downloads.

So feel lucky to have gained at least a bit of awareness.

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

It certainly isn't easy to get stuff out there I think the thing to do is give a game a value like a couple of quid then offer it for sale at 100% off . That's what did it . People think they are getting something worth a fiver or whatever for free whereas if it's free in the first place they think it's worth nothing.

Pakz

I have got a couple of games in development phase on gamejolt. The traffic is not high there for me there either. The most views I have on one is around 40 with 5 downloads. This in a year or more.

I know that when you spend a good time polishing there is a positive effect in views and likes. When starting out early in a project nothing happens, but when you keep adding more and more into a project people seem to slowly get interested. Also things like creating a following by frequently creating quality content is something I am working(learning) towards(although slowly as I am not that in a hurry :D )

STEVIE G

As soon as you put a price on your work everything dries up.  Itch.io is primarily visited by folk that want stuff for free.  Only my experience  ;D

Steve Elliott

The problem is people started giving their software away for free, completely devaluing the software industry.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 07, 2019, 00:14:26
The problem is people started giving their software away for free, completely devaluing the software industry.
This is very true. While there are some great freeware out there, which is good. There is also a generation of people who expect everything for free but anything they do they want paid for. There is a big difference between freeware as a labour of love and users who expect others to work their arse off for them for free.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

Agreed.

Regardless of involved cost, you have to ask yourself "how does my 'stuff' compare with others?"

Treat it as a learning process. E.G
- Could I improve the way my stuff looks like (presentation)
- Could the game play or graphics be more inviting
- Could I learn from how others have done things - to improve my own
- Is there something that marketing (how you reach people), could improve

:)

Derron

Might have to try to put mine on "sale" too ... just to check what it changes. So I now ask for 2,95 ... where to put it "on sale" (0,00 - so free as it was before)? Edit: found it via google search: https://itch.io/dashboard/sales
Put it up on sale now ... let's check what happens (if it has an impact on a 4 months old entry or not).

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

Yes and I put mine on 100% 0ff.  It starts to get busy about 3 o'clock onwards .Good luck

Pfaber11

You know derron by some thing of fate your game is right next to one of mine just looked at the trailer and my son took an interest and said dad you should make games like that it's way better than your maze game.

Pfaber11

Something else to consider is some days will be busier than others also I've released 7 products . On the Thursday I averaged about 80 views per product . Fridays don't seem to be up to much . My aim is to get 2500 views in 30 days . I'm hoping that people who have viewed once may come back and view a second time and download on another day.

Derron

I also thought of all these "deal sites" which try to find stuff worth to to mention in their "apps for free today"-posts/deals.

What I wonder is: I clicked to create the sale, clicked then on the sales page and ordered by "most recent" - did not find my game. Had to scroll down a lot to find it - and yours is next to it. Wonder which criteria they use for sorting.

PS: Say thanks to your son (for the indirect compliment). Maybe he give's it a try (it's free ;-)).

bye
Ron