Techniques up googles sleeve app store

Started by Matty, September 02, 2019, 18:13:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

From my journal..

Discovered this with a few other users apps...

---
Techniques google play uses to direct traffic - 2019-09-02
Techniques google play uses to direct traffic

Google play has a few tricks up its sleeve to prevent users from enjoying certain apps. Other than positioning out of view it can also throttle the download speed of specific apps which means many users will not complete a download.

Eg one app may be 100mb and it will download fast but if google doesnt want the app to succeed they will slow the download speed meaning that most users will not bother installing.

Such failed installs wont show up on the developer console but instead will show as views of the store page only.

In these cases the developer will simply believe their app has a low install rate.

I discovered this withca few different apps, not my own.

Page:7273

Xaron

Kryzon

Could this be explained by popular apps being put on a CDN or faster route or something, and unpopular apps not? 

(Edit: not for shady practices, but as a reflection of demand, although being Google they should afford a fast route for all apps, even the less popular)

LineOf7s

"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

Brucey

RemiD

i can install some apps on my recent enough smartphone (android 8.1.0) that i can't install on my older tablet (android 4.2.2), but i can still view the page of the app in both cases, maybe the answer is as simple as that ?

Derron

I had slow and fast updates for the very same applications - so it might just depend on what CDN server you get mistakingly (or because of traffic-load-balancing) redirected

As eg. for applications with a price tag Google earns a share for each sale, they would cut their own if they made user experience worse ("ohh ... always slow downloads on the play store ...").

bye
Ron

Kryzon

Quote from: Derron on September 03, 2019, 21:08:46As eg. for applications with a price tag Google earns a share for each sale, they would cut their own if they made user experience worse ("ohh ... always slow downloads on the play store ...")
Oof that's a good point. They want to profit, and they do so whenever an app on their Play Store sells, no matter the author.

Rick Nasher

Yes and no: Google isn't lacking money, no urge for making a profit, money is flooding them from all directions. Few years back they already had over 50.000.000.000 in the bank and not doing *anything* with it at all, simply because they can. Not anything?? No- not anything. Is that sound? No, but they're still doing it and who knows how much is on their account today.

Amon

As much as I like google, I hate them just as much when for 2 years they allowed the NSA to spy on everyone using the browser, google search etc. There were rumours but nobody believed it; google allowing the NSA to breach everybodies privacy, no way they would do that. Then, turns out it was all true.

Derron

It does not matter if google has cash money or not:  they need to generate income as else the share holders will rebel and say "chop the head of xyz for good!".

bye
Ron