Need a new laptop...

Started by ENAY, August 29, 2019, 03:42:44

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

Hey guys, I know I asked this probably a few years ago, but my 2009 Windows 7 laptop is dying, and it's only till January that the Windows 7 licence expires, so I am unfortunately looking for a new laptop and literally have zero experience in buying a laptop. This one was given to me.

I need it preliminary for developing in Unity5 and Unreal engine (so it needs to be 64bit of course, can you even get 23bit anymore?), that's really about it, multiple usb ports a bonus.

Do you any of you lovely guys have any recommendations?

My current spec is 8GB ram, 4GB of VRam and 1.6Ghz Intel Core Duo Pro, considered how old this Dell laptop is, probably any laptop is an upgrade from this one right?

I'm still living in Japan so if you know of a laptop that is also for sale on amazon.co.jp that would be great (as I plan on buying it from there)

PS Sorry I haven't been around on these forums for a while, life has been hectic in recent years..

blinkok

I have but one recommendation. Don't get a touch screen laptop. It adds heaps to the price and it's useless
Spec wise i'd say
i7 cpu
16 GB mem
8 GB graphics
512 SSD Drive

Pfaber11

blinkok has the right idea if money is no problem but I would consider one with an i5 processor and half all the other specs for half the price . It really depends on your budget . Let us know what you settle on .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Kryzon

512 GB SSD seems a bit much, doesn't it?

256 GB SSD should be fine as your OS + software drive (see how much you're using right now on your 2009'er). Then you can get a 1 TB HDD for your data (files, photos, music etc.). 
That is what my notebook has.

ENAY

Sorry for the delay guys, in the end I got this laptop, arrived a few days ago. Tax in Japan goes fro, 8% to 10% at the end of this month so thought best buy one quickly.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07HRYQ966/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems all good and fine so far.

Pfaber11

looks like just the job . if you don't mind me asking how much was it in pounds including delivery.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Will be buying myself a new one in about 8 months . 8 gigs of ram 4 gig graphics not too fussed about having an ssd as long as it comes with a fast hard drive . But that's not for a while yet. Shouldn't cost too much . I can't believe i'm programming in 3d using what I have right now. It gets me by for now . And produced a few games on it over the last 16 months.  It's actually an HP stream 14 but you know it's not really that bad. I paid 225 quid for it new and it get's the job done . sometimes it gets a bit hot if I'm charging it and playing games at the same time and throttles the MHz down which is a pain but I think maybe the way around this is to under clock it . Hmm gonna try it  bear in mind it's only 1.6 Ghz in the first place.

ENAY

Sorry, did not realise there was a reply. Erm, it cost maybe about 120,000 yen in total as I added 10000 yen insurance. Delivery was free, to Japan of course.

Erm, I guess depending on exchange rate, let's say 150 yen to the pound, roughly about 800 pounds, at an estimate.
I haven't seen my bank statement yet so due to shitty exchange rate and conversion charges, might have been as much as 900-1000.