September 23, 2019, 03:06:26 PM

Author Topic: Need a new laptop...  (Read 99 times)

Offline ENAY

Need a new laptop...
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:42:44 AM »
Hey guys, I know I asked this probably a few years ago, but my 2009 Windows 7 laptop is dying, and it's only till January that the Windows 7 licence expires, so I am unfortunately looking for a new laptop and literally have zero experience in buying a laptop. This one was given to me.

I need it preliminary for developing in Unity5 and Unreal engine (so it needs to be 64bit of course, can you even get 23bit anymore?), that's really about it, multiple usb ports a bonus.

Do you any of you lovely guys have any recommendations?

My current spec is 8GB ram, 4GB of VRam and 1.6Ghz Intel Core Duo Pro, considered how old this Dell laptop is, probably any laptop is an upgrade from this one right?

I'm still living in Japan so if you know of a laptop that is also for sale on amazon.co.jp that would be great (as I plan on buying it from there)

PS Sorry I haven't been around on these forums for a while, life has been hectic in recent years..

Offline blinkok

Re: Need a new laptop...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:05:08 AM »
I have but one recommendation. Don't get a touch screen laptop. It adds heaps to the price and it's useless
Spec wise i'd say
i7 cpu
16 GB mem
8 GB graphics
512 SSD Drive

Offline Pfaber11

• FABERS GAMES
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
blinkok has the right idea if money is no problem but I would consider one with an i5 processor and half all the other specs for half the price . It really depends on your budget . Let us know what you settle on .

Online Kryzon

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
512 GB SSD seems a bit much, doesn't it?

256 GB SSD should be fine as your OS + software drive (see how much you're using right now on your 2009'er). Then you can get a 1 TB HDD for your data (files, photos, music etc.). 
That is what my notebook has.