Has anyone tried the ES version of OpenB3D?

Started by angros47, August 28, 2019, 20:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

angros47

OpenB3D, since 2016, supports also GLES (I compiled it for EmScripten). But so far I got zero feedback about that version.

Has anyone tried it? Has anyone ever tried compiling it for Android, or for other platforms?

markcwm

The Blitzmax wrapper is not fully ES compliant yet, I updated the wrapper to 1.25 but never got around to learning the ES differences and applying it in Blitzmax. Do you know any good tutorials or guides I could follow? I got a bit lost. ???

angros47

I can't recommend a specific tutorial. GLES is a subset of OpenGL... and WebGL is a subset of GLES.

The main differences are that in ES 1.0 you don't have glBegin... glEnd, so you must do everything using buffers. In GLES 2.0 you have the same limit, plus you don't even have glLoadIdentity, glRotate and so on... so you have to manage all the matrices on your own, and to pass them to shaders.

OpenGL, if you have no shader bound, uses fixed pipeline, GLES 2.0 doesn't.

WebGL is more or less like GLES 2.0, but you have to use VBO (in GLES 2.0 they are optional, in WebGL they are mandatory)

My version of OpenB3D can be compiled as WebGL compliant if you use "make web" instead of "make"

markcwm

Great that helps a lot, thanks. I'm not sure if I know my GL well enough to manage this though.

angros47

Well, each time code needs to be different between OpenGl and WebGl, you'll see an ifdef (or ifndef) GLES2 in the source code