Code a game comp - MIX-IT-UP - Aug 25th to Oct 20th 2019

Started by Qube, August 25, 2019, 22:40:34

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

QuoteI disagree. It's the deadlines that give me focus to get on with it and complete the thing. if we break the cardinal rule on deadline day is deadline day then where do we end up?

Its the creeping approach of deadline day thats spurred me to get this far - what I love about this compo is that its made me finally realise how probable it is to create a tower defence game in Blitz3D - which I've always fancied doing - but its always fallen into the 'too hard' bucket.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

Another week gone due to other commitments :( - Not sure if I'll have the time to finish any sort of game yet. Hopefully nothing super urgent will crop up next week so I can spend some decent time on my entry.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

@Qube - I reckon you might be up for the :

QuoteOption 2 : Retro / Shooter

Using tanks or something, what are you inclined to go for when you put on your coding mitts?

BasicBoy

Quote from: BasicBoy on September 24, 2019, 18:05:56
I almost certainly won't have anything to enter after all - mostly because of bad time management on my part, too far behind, and too sleep-deprived to code. Wishing the other participants well with their projects.

Having scrapped my overly ambitious 'Bot Cave' project, I recently (October 27) started work -- from scratch -- on a new, simpler game which stands some chance of actually getting finished in time for the compo deadline. It's provisionally titled 'Tyoob', a play on the word 'tube', for a pretty obvious reason if you watch the short WIP video linked-to below. Not much happening yet, but there will be things to shoot, things to collect (power-ups, etc.), things to avoid, an end-of-level boss, etc. I had hoped to submit a cross-platform game, but there won't be time now for that - it will be Windows-only, sadly. (Bot Cave was cross-platform - it was running on Windows, Linux Mint 19.2, and a Raspberry Pi 4 (Raspbian Buster), and would probably have run on a Mac).

https://youtu.be/tXhC-EPLgHs

There's a short delay at the start of the video before anything appears.

Resolution is that of Acorn Archimedes's Mode 13 (320x256, 256 colours).

I really hope I can get this one finished, but who knows...

BasicBoy.
--

Steve Elliott

Nice.  A Tempest vibe, good luck in the comp.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Dabz

Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Derron

Quote from: BasicBoy on October 01, 2019, 16:11:33
Having scrapped my overly ambitious 'Bot Cave' project, I recently (October 27) started work -- from scratch -- on a new, simpler game which stands some chance of actually getting finished in time for the compo deadline.

Hey Future BasicBoy I am sure you would have missed the compo if you started on October the 27th ;)

I tried to watch the youtube video - but dunno, the spiral effect the gameplay has reminded me on some psychological induction thing ("hypnosis induction"). Might also make feel people a bit dizzy after a while. For sure nothing to play when drunk  8)

Aside of that: glad you at least try to come up with something even if time is short now. Good luck finishing it.

bye
Ron

therevills

Xerra

This is your "Two weeks to go warning" people. Ain't I great for pissing on your Sunday? :-)

I have my game mostly done - probably around 75%. It's the hard bit now as the last 25% is the most work to be done in the tightest time. Think I'll make the deadline but it's all the notes that I keep moving from the Include to the Maybe section that's a bit disheartening.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

2 weeks left :o - Hmm, me thinking not a chance with what I have so far :(
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

3DzForMe

Quote2 weeks left :o - Hmm, me thinking not a chance with what I have so far :(

2 weeks, bugger, could've swore it was three - now I feel better that I committed some time between 2  and 6 this morning - I know  - mad!

@Xerra,

QuoteThis is your "Two weeks to go warning" people. Ain't I great for pissing on your Sunday? :-)

I have my game mostly done - probably around 75%. It's the hard bit now as the last 25% is the most work to be done in the tightest time. Think I'll make the deadline but it's all the notes that I keep moving from the Include to the Maybe section that's a bit disheartening.

@BasicBoy - love the stuff so far - it really draws you in! I fear I'm going to be tripping over the deadline - again! I'm using dropbox as a backup medium this time - and my son's computer is quite new....... which is my current work horse! Yeah, I've had 2 dev machines die on me this year.

Thanks for the warning - been too busy on pink tasks (house work - youch) and coding to have clocked your warning until now. yikes!

BasicBoy

The chance of me submitting anything before the deadline is now about 30%  :(

Probably 20% by the end of today...

Qube

Quote from: BasicBoy on October 18, 2019, 04:03:28
The chance of me submitting anything before the deadline is now about 30%  :(

Probably 20% by the end of today...
There is still a chance then ;D

Unfortunately I'm on 0% chance as I've not had any time to work on my game since I posted the very 1st video :( - Ah well, maybe at some point I can resurrect it but more than likely rewrite it as I like to start afresh for the comps :)

Until the next time.