Code a game comp - MIX-IT-UP - Aug 25th to Oct 20th 2019

Started by Qube, August 25, 2019, 22:40:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

if you mix elements from various games and this mix was not used before, then it becomes unique - more unique (I know you cannot create comparative variants of "unique") the more elements it contains which are not contained in the game which is eg. the game you base yours on. So: the better the "mix" of various sources, the better.

Imho my game would be totally unique (for me) if I come up with a theme I am not aware of others ever having used it - or if they have used that theme then not in this genre with that gameplay ... and so on.

Also: I only wrote "unique" in context of "adding a twist". So having a base idea (think of "Tetris" or "Icy Tower"/Jump-to-top-of-something) and then add some gameplay mechanism NOT used in similar games. So in essence you do not need to make all parts of your game an visionary invention on its own which mankind never saw before. We won't be able to do that after so long time with computers and human entertainment at all (theatres, movies, board games).

And again: I wrote about what _I_ prefer (to not know about whether my game was based on something my conscious mind is aware of). And that using an existing game as basement allows to save some development/idea finding time as you already know that that specific gameplay will work and creates fun.
The more specific the (basic) gameplay is the more you benefit from having someone who developed it already.

Please avoid judging my posts on every word - sometimes I might use the wrong words which sound more harsh to you than I wanted or they do not mean the same that what I intended to say (false friends German->English). Would be nice if (all of) you could keep that in mind. Thanks.

Nonetheless: this compo here is for fun and while I appreciate discussing about certain parts I think we should concentrate back on teasering game ideas, wip shots, ...

bye
Ron

Derron

Regarding "endless game":
Is any start of a "game level"/"session" a complete "reset"?
I just ask if you could earn "coins" for each game you play. With that "coins" you could buy small upgrades to ease life in the next run.
While the "game level" itself would be endless the played character would have some persistent attributes ("progress").

It would help to not only concentrate the gameplay on learning eg "level structure" (so you know the traps), luck or reaction. That way even "slower" players could progress step by step (so they could play "longer").

But yeah, is that possible with "endless games"?

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Well... Today is all about updating tools  :D
A while back I created the "ColorTags" app, and the base functions need to be added to all the other editors so they can support colortag files.

So... (with that in mind). Here's the first WIP pic  :o

the colortagz (on the right shown as the little blobs) have been imported into the fontmap app correctly (just the major colors are imported) with the result on the left.

It's a small but useful resource that needed updating before any further work is started. But wait!!! what is that pink thing peeping through on the far right???   :-*

Derron

It is something requiring the letter "p" printed on it :-)

So for what are the "tagz" used? Some kind of color palette so to choose from or are you defining gradients there?

Bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Please avoid judging my posts on every word

I think you started this.  You instantly judge every person here, every post and every pixel in minute detail within seconds if it does not comply with your thinking!!  You're always very negative and generally suck the life out of this place - apart from the odd joke...Maybe alcohol was involved on those days.  Based on what you just said (above) you have forced your own view (yet again) on a pleasant thread about the competition - or any thread!  That's what we call being a hypocrite...Yes I find you very blunt, very arrogant (as in your opinion is the only one that matters and you think you are always right).  You are literally telling people their work or interests are not interesting on a regular basis!!  As an example, demos on the Raspberry pi aren't interesting - in your arrogant opinion maybe!  Stop it, who the hell are you to tell people what is and isn't interesting?!!  It's a matter of opinion!
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Read that post there ...and read it (together with the replies of me there) again.
I tried to explain why people seem not to be interested in doing such stuff for the raspi in the same amount as they do for other devices.

Bye
Ron

iWasAdam

the word for today is now "Calm"  :(

Game thought is: Every move has a consequence

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

Anyway, like I was saying before Rimmer charged in with a lecture.  That old 80's game will be quite different to my 'inspired by' version. The simple addition of bomb power-ups alone radically changes the game dynamic.  Do you go for the bomb power-up and risk getting shot?  Once you have a bomb where and when do you place it for maximum impact?  If enemy tanks are nearby then the potential for being pinned down by enemy fire and getting blown-up by your own bomb is a very real possibility!  Enemy tanks can aquire bombs too.  Chaos, and fun!   ;D

And there's no one shot and they're dead (they have a damage indicator instead) so you're going to have to be more tactical in your approach.  Comments were made without even playing my game, which I found tremendously annoying.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 29, 2019, 17:40:04
Comments were made without even playing my game, which I found tremendously annoying.

Sorry if that was me with my Drelbs comment. I literally just remembered it the minute I looked at your image. Not saying you're making a clone of that game by any means. No offense.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

No it wasn't you Xerra  :D

For me the competitions are a bit of fun and our games will develop under our own steam until the deadline.  I don't understand this constant 'heckling' from a certain self appointed critic as we are trying to develop our games (unless we ask for suggestions of course!)  I've abandoned doing any Worklogs because of this, one screen shot and bam!  You get a page of text telling you why your game needs improving...Er well I'm still developing it, it's not complete - hence a worklog.  If I write a game I do it for myself, a game that I would like to play - not the heckler who seems to think we should all code a game he would like to play.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Well I did say 'candy corn'  :o

The main figure is the base - it just gives the outline and concept figure (to be filled in later)

Xerra

I haven't made a huge amount of progress at all yet. I'm still mostly dithering on the game to go with although I'm 90% sure it's going to involve creepy crawlies in it. And, maybe, a grid. Maybe.

/Puts Thinking Cap Back On
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/