Code a game comp - MIX-IT-UP - Aug 25th to Oct 20th 2019

Started by Qube, August 25, 2019, 22:40:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

I had a animal-tactical-rpg in mind too (so with skill tree based on the animals specifica). RPG part would be to define foes/enemies, goals ("be nice and they will be nice to you"). But it would need too many assets (forest, lake, ... worlds).
Maybe it give someone else an idea to follow.

Meat'em Up!
Insane butcher ensnails foes with sausage chains (or makes tbone steaks out of them) - dunno how to implement escape rooms there (except to get upgrade weapons). Too many assets required for the escape-room-part.

Now using the lunch time to find some stuff to incorporate the burning rain forest in south america (endless game?). Fire distinguishing thingy... hmm. Could even become a tactical rpg thing (sense how fire moves, predict stuff, increase extinguishing skill, ... and of course team up).

@ twist
Yeah, the interesting part of the games is always the twist.

bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Derron on August 26, 2019, 11:12:41

Meat'em Up!
Insane butcher ensnails foes with sausage chains (or makes tbone steaks out of them) - dunno how to implement escape rooms there (except to get upgrade weapons). Too many assets required for the escape-room-part.

:o :-X

Therapy required :-)

I had a little ponder on escape room/beat-em up too. Not for too long, however. I came up with some kind of Kung Fu master punch and flying kick your way along the corridor and at the end of each one you end up in a static room which starts closing in on you. The idea then is to punch out the bricks in one side to make a hole big enough to escape from.

I think the graphics resources for an idea like this would be too much, however.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

QuoteBloodwyche
- now that would be impressive if you could pull it off - no sniggering (at the back) Qube!

Hmmm... Just Hmmmm

Derron

@ kung fu escape room
Nah, an escape room is not something you can escape with "power/force". You have to solve riddles, find hints, follow clues ... so eg at the end you the the numbers to open the combination lock blocking the exit door.
This makes it kind of ... contrary to the "beat them up" game ("power/force" used to get rid of your foes).
Means you need to add something like "magic" so that you cannot just kick a door out of the door frame ;-)
Or if you are a kung fu dude - use steel doors and the likes.

But as you already found out: it uses a lot of assets - one room (+ assets for riddles) per world means for 10 worlds (1-4 levels = 1 world) you need already 10 rooms. Time frame will not be met for sure.

@ meat'em up
Like the title already :)

bye
Ron

Xerra

Question on

Option 5 : Retro / Endless

Is this strict where a game must be one level continuous and the whole game plays out start to game over all while on the same level or can it be broken up into levels where the gameplay remains exactly the same but the AI and speed of bad guys slightly changes as the game progresses each time you level up after completing an objective?

I've got an idea of what I might do now but need to check this. I do want to stick with the complete objective, brief score update and timer countdown to clock up score and then start again while changing game map probably. Nothing else changes but it does get progressively harder until eventually you fail and you can never actually complete it. Basically just rack up your score trying to make the high score table is the only objective.

An example of this could be something like Jetpac. You shoot aliens and collect the three parts of rocket and then enough fuel to enable you to take off and then the whole process starts again at a new level and do it all again.

No, I'm not making that game but the principle is the same :)
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Derron

An endless game is a never ending level.

So you should just translate your game to something which does not need a level restarts. The jetpac would then not do a final jump - but eg it allows to do some super trick giving more time (time run out = game over) or bonus score.

Means the idea is that the game gets harder and harder progressively (or when reaching certain "milestones"). New enemies could be added based on score / moved distance / ...
Any "restart" is more or less something like a "thrown back" thing.

To repeat myself now: instead of having level ends you change the "win condition" to something make you survive a little longer. Like the checkpoints in these racing games.

Edit: Just thought about "retro / endless" - I could use that for a "Meat 'Em Up" - as the "beat'em up" genre could be adopted to an endless level too (with stat increase, powerful weapons, ...). Hmmm ... and Retro with big pixels but all the colors (and alpha shading etc) could be a nice thing to try out.

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on August 26, 2019, 11:57:15
QuoteBloodwyche
- now that would be impressive if you could pull it off - no sniggering (at the back) Qube!
Me? ;D

Quote from: Xerra on August 26, 2019, 13:12:03
Question on

Option 5 : Retro / Endless

Is this strict where a game must be one level continuous and the whole game plays out start to game over all while on the same level or can it be broken up into levels where the gameplay remains exactly the same but the AI and speed of bad guys slightly changes as the game progresses each time you level up after completing an objective?
Endless means that the game is continuous until you complete it ( some go on forever ) or die. There are no breaks in gameplay so if you plan on levels then you'll need to keep the gameplay going and transition to a new level without the game stopping.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on August 26, 2019, 16:39:50
Endless means that the game is continuous until you complete it ( some go on forever ) or die. There are no breaks in gameplay so if you plan on levels then you'll need to keep the gameplay going and transition to a new level without the game stopping.

Yup, that rules my idea out really so I've moved onto tinkering with another idea.

I was considering doing something like RallyX/Radar Rat Race but once you've avoided the rats and got all the cheese then it's a level up with a change of maze and start again. I could dynamically just add cheese and rats to the level as they are removed, and thus keep the player running around constantly, but I think a game like that needs a level break to stop boredom setting in.

I'll keep what i'm tinkering with under my hat for now in case that doesn't work out.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

STEVIE G

For 'Beat em up / Escape the room' can't you just have it that a door to the next level doesn't open until you've kicked everyone's arse OR that the last guy drops a key which opens said door?  ;D  Does it have to be like an actual escape room?  :o 

5 options is great - there are a few which take my fancy this time.

Santiago

Good! This time I hope to participate! I am trying to remember the essence of the old games, to see what idea I can think of, the contest is very interesting!

I think it would go retro / endless, but I don't know where to start

BasicBoy

QuoteI'll probably have a crack at Option 2 (Retro / Shooter).

The rough idea I currently have is that you're trapped at the top of a tower with a bunch of malicious and armed robots that have taken over the building (probably under the control of a nasty Big Boss Robot lurking on or near the ground floor). You have to get to the ground floor in order to escape to freedom. You have to shoot & destroy the robots to survive. I'm keeping any puzzle-solving elements to a minimum. Some of the robots are dumb and not terribly mobile, while others are pretty smart and perhaps capable of flight in some cases. It's basically a vertically scrolling platformer (but with lots of shooting). I intend to use the (fixed) 256-colour palette and typical screen resolution for games (320x256) of the Acorn Archimedes (launched 1987), which I hope satisfies the 'retro' requirement.

So, I'm sticking with Option 2 (Retro / Shooter).

Provisional title (subject to change): 'Bot Tower'

I'm going to keep this one very simple.

3DzForMe

Okay, going to give myself a week to mull things over, then - the rollercoaster of indie development begins ;) :o
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

@ basicboy + retro
There are no strict requirements: usage of big pixels (like in modern "retro games") should be enough:

QuoteRetro : Old school games mostly associated with 8-bit ( and to some extent 16-bit ) computers / consoles. Retro games sometimes emulate a graphic resolution from computers / consoles of that era. Retro games may also be palette limited or colour matched to a certain computer / console. Retro games may also not have colour / resolutions limits but instead emulate the look / sound of older games, i.e. large pixels.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

@ basicboy + retro

There are no strict requirements: usage of big pixels (like in modern "retro games") should be enough:

Even big pixels is not really a requirement, you could run in 1920 X 1080 but use a retro style of 2d art.  ie no photo-like graphics, but instead simple shapes and shading.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Steve Elliott

This is what I have so far, some graphics.  ok they were graphics I produced for a project a while ago that didn't get going, but I've spent the day tweaking them and seeing how they'll look in Photoshop.  They suit the retro shooter theme so I'll go with that.  Busy with work so I'll get coding the game when I can.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb