Code a game comp - MIX-IT-UP - Aug 25th to Oct 20th 2019

Started by Qube, August 25, 2019, 22:40:34

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Today's word is "lolly"  ;D

overriding thoughts are strategy and tactics... with a twist!

if you have candy corn, then you must have evil korn!
;D

Ray

I'd like to participate too if that's ok (hi all! first post :) )

Haven't seen it explicitly mentioned in the rules, but from what I see it is allowed to participate with an entry that uses parts of my previous projects (from handling input, managing models and so on to various assets like sprites/sound effects etc) (all made by me)?

Derron

The devil comes in all colo(u)rs ...
... even with a pink tip ;-)

Maybe spend it an worklog thread?

Bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Ray on August 31, 2019, 09:58:51

Haven't seen it explicitly mentioned in the rules, but from what I see it is allowed to participate with an entry that uses parts of my previous projects (from handling input, managing models and so on to various assets like sprites/sound effects etc) (all made by me)?

Do you mean some kind of framework which you've written over time and use as the starting project to build new games from? If so then there's nothing in the rule to stop you doing that. You can't however take an already written game and just use that, or reskin the graphics and then use it, for example. That doesn't sound at all like what you're asking though.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Quote from: Ray on August 31, 2019, 09:58:51

Of course :) - As Xerra says, you can use any framework you've already coded / bought, any media you've bought / created yourself. The only thing you can't use is re-skinning a pre-made game template or use a previous game you've done.

The spirit behind the competitions is to code a new game and we just trust that each of us does that for the fun of it.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Ray

Yeah I already have my library of shoot, hit/hurt, explosion etc sound effects, handling input, scrolling and similar things that I like to use for all my projects... there's no need to reinvent the wheel I think. Alright then, let's hope I'll manage to put something together in time for the deadline! Thanks for the clarification :)

MrmediamanX

Dang it, I wont be able to make this comp. I acquired a reasonably large land lot a few years back and have been building an off the grid residence. been busy with it all year so i'll be M.I.A for while.
best of luck to the participants. :)

It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Steve Elliott

I'm out.  AGK is pretty cool, but sometimes it's a pain in the arse.  Holding out for an upcoming language to code some games in instead.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on September 02, 2019, 15:44:06
I'm out.  AGK is pretty cool, but sometimes it's a pain in the arse.  Holding out for an upcoming language to code some games in instead.
What happened to be a pain in the arse? :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Inboxed.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

OK, think I've picked my category, need to mess about with some ideas next....
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

I'm still working on a player control system. I want the player to be able to use mouse/keyboard or game pad to play this game so can't just attach a player object to default mouse movement and move on. Apart from a menu full of test options on a mock title screen I really don't have much else just yet.

Although I've found a set of sprites that should work for some of the graphics and the design of the game is mostly there now.

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

Xerra, you need to move away from "if KEY_RIGHT then playerX = playerX + dx*speed".
Abstract "input" from "commands".

If KEY_RIGHT then movement.x = 1
If KEY_LEFT then movement.x = -1
If JOYPAD_LEFT then movement.x = -1
... or even abstract more and think of each input controller being of the same type and then just connect the appropriate one.

later you update the player and if movement.x is < 0 move to the left, if it is > 0 to the right and else you stand still (or fall/jump if you currently are doing this).
Abstraction (or using custom variables like MY_KEY_RIGHT) allow to reconfigure it once (key mapping) instead of having to check all your code files.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

QuoteI'm out.
:o

(Fires up the BBQ) Come on Steve - I wanna see your chops...  ;D

For today... I'm off to the dentist. So it's evil ice cream for me :)

Derron

"for today" - you plan a whopping day at the dentist - or is there a surgery planned to keep you in the bed/at the couch the rest of the day? I am going to the dentist 2x a year, they clean my teeth for around an hour long, then the dentist itself checks the teeth for holes and afterwards I pay 50 Euro (for the intense cleaning) and am going home. This for years now (thanks to daily brush usage).

Good luck to you and your molars :-)

@ coding
Still not pressed a single key or did a single mouse stroke for the game compo - awaiting bug fix reports by my users as I still want to release a new version before doing something else focusing my computer time on something like the compo.

bye
Ron