Anybody earning a living out of using AGK

Started by Pfaber11, August 18, 2019, 14:26:02

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

@Qube>>cool little arcade game :-) , it reminds me of the old playstation games like g-police or colony wars

Steve Elliott

Cool.  Plus you (and Dabz) made some cash from games too.  A real shame it's all free to play and in-app purchases these days though.  And yes, I know quite a few ex Blitzers who went the GL BASIC route, although I don't think it's as popular as it was.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteA real shame it's all free to play and in-app purchases these days though.
Yup, it's all very over saturated these days and you always see the same publishers. 

QuoteAnd yes, I know quite a few ex Blitzers who went the GL BASIC route, although I don't think it's as popular as it was.
Nah, it's not as popular these days as it's showing its age. Along with that it no longer supports Mac or iOS but they blame Apple and OpenGL but yet AGK still works fine with OpenGL on with Mac and iOS as do many game maker tools.

Also I found that after version 10.8.1 ( I think that's right ) alpha blending became broke and was never really fixed properly on the 3D side. Plus getting any sort of 3D particle effects was a nightmare to do.

But yes, over time I would say it's user base has dwindled as it's showing it's age now. Although it was recently released on Steam so good luck the them.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pfaber11

Went and took a look at GLBASIC on steam and it does look pretty good . Could someone who has tried both maybe do a quick comparison . It compiles to machine code which is a plus but I don't think it'll produce an Android app although I could be wrong .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Dabz

Even though I used it, and quite enjoyed using it, I couldnt really recommend it on the basis it has changed, and I dont know whats different, how sturdy it is and all that.

But, if I was going to make something for Android, I'd be venturing to B4A from Anywhere Software, I've used it a lot, it's pretty neat, the syntax is Visual Basic like so easy to get to grips with, loads and loads and loads of libraries to play with, the IDE is about the best out there for that level of dev tool, and it does now come with game dev [2D] specific libraries, I havent touched that specific part myself (No time), but Erel who is the creator of B4A does some first class stuff, and is always really helpful on the forums... Here is the main game dev section of the official forums for you to have a closer look at:-

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/forums/game-development.84/

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Xaron

Not making a living yet but my last game with Unity can be considered as success (for me). At some point my next one might be the one. But that's Unity (again), a 3d game.

Naughty Alien

..i used to score some very nice money with BMAX (Hoodwink)..ever since i havent did anything related to games..i did try AGK, and eventually i rediscovered Pure basic, which im using right now actively for my G-Code parser/feeder in to my CNC controllers while whole process for each axis is visible in 3D at machne control display. First choice was B4J, but i had no avail 3D module so there PB took place. So, it makes me some nice money now, its 3D but not games. hehe

Pfaber11

Just took a look at the B4A and B4J . B4A is about to become free and B4J already is . In terms of speed what is B4X like say compared  to AGK2 . You know I'm only looking at this out of curiosity really cannot start learning another language happy with what I've got for now .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

GaborD

Quote from: Pfaber11 on January 31, 2020, 20:35:48
In terms of speed what is B4X like say compared  to AGK2.
Speed is kinda relative, depends on how you use the engines and if they are a good fit for a specific project. AGK's biggest strength is that it's very flexible, you can basically use a completely custom render chain and have something tailored to your project that will look and perform very differently from other AGK projects.
As to living from it, I don't stick to one engine but I do live off 3D work, game contract work and engine addons. If the currently planned project gets greenlit I'll live off AGK based gamedev for the next year or two. Which would be great fun, love working with it.

Pfaber11

So far all my programs have been games until I dream up something useful to make . AGK is pretty awesome and only 1 game was uncompleted as It just kinda dried up. Ran out of enthusiasm . I intend to just keep going at it and am quite often learning something new . Practice makes perfect although none of my stuff is that . So it seems quite a few on here are making it pay which is quite encouraging and makes me want to press on . I might even get good at it in a year or two . In my latest game I have only used my own graphics and sounds although this is gonna take some time to finish. I'm on my 11th program in 2 years and 3 months and consider this a learning curve , finding a language I get on with and learning some of the ropes so to speak.

Pfaber11

Was just wondering does the B4X language do 3d graphics ? I did see mention of a 2d engine but not 3d . I guess I'll always be looking at other languages just in case the one I'm using goes belly up at some point . Hopefully never gonna happen and gonna steer clear of Mark Silby or whatever his name is . I would like to think what I'm using will still be current in a few years time but yes I know the future can change . I would not use my time to learn a language that might only have support for a year although I did start off with blitz3d  so I guess I owe that to him .