My Pixelart blog on blogger

Started by Pakz, September 03, 2019, 09:11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakz

https://pixelart001.blogspot.com/

In 2016 I started a pixel art blog on Blogger hoping I would really be able to fill it up with various game related pixel artworks. This did not really happen as I did not spend that much time pixeling sprites.

I have been adding works and there is some art there now.

I mainly am still learning how to get to a acceptable level of quality. Looking at how much I have used Aseprite the last few years(40 hours) it is not happening that fast.

I use the ipad, android phone and the laptop for artwork.

I use(d) asprite(pc), pixiestudio(ipad), spritesomething(ipad, now defunc), pyxeledit(pc), Graphics Gale(pc), pixly(android), Basic8(pc)

Derron

Think you improved a lot over the time.

Checked your last image more "indepth" and I will have to write something about them:
You painted nice outline. You also painted nice base colors. But on some characters I think the shading is "too much".
Magician, Pikenier, Club-Man, ... they all look stunning and nearly perfect.
That second dude in the first line - his hair is not identifyable (at least to me). Think the "base color" (here with shading already) variant looks more suitable.

Why? Do not forget that sometimes low res pixel art means to _not_ show certain details or just to "punctuate" them (eg a bright pixel on a belt for the bucket of the belt).

Same to say about (only) a few other characters: maybe do not try to create "fine grained gradients" but let the eyes do their magic interpreting stuff.

@  blog
For pixel art I think it would suit better to have some kind of "auto magnifying glass" or a 2x/4x display. So "100%" + some buttons to scale (or do it on mouse over or so). Low res pixel art often has to be presented scaled up.

Keep up working on them - there is some fine work amongst it and as said, you absolutely improved over the time.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Great graphics - hate the site though. I just wanted to be able to click and have a bigger view. The turning, etc was just too much  :'(

Pakz

Derron, thanks for the feedback. I have a lot to learn still. I hope that making a whole bunch of sprites I wil start understanding what works and what not. Lots of references to look up stil. There wil probably be a lot more failed sprites coming though.

I have put the blog theme to the default simple theme. This shows the image and that can be clicked on which wil load the full view in a new window. Blogger does not have that much to offer for pixelart sites as far as I can find.

iWasAdam