BMax NG Current Stable Version?

Started by _PJ_, August 17, 2019, 20:27:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Hezkore

Or, you know, just update and recompile the modules.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

Derron

Yes you could do that but forcefully recompiling all modules can take a long time (32 bit release + debug, 64 bit release + debug) especially if you have wx.mod installed too.

It is simpler to just remove all precompilate (these x86.i, .s ... files) and intermediate/temporary files (.bmx folders) from all folders and subfolders in "mod". BMK will then compile what is needed for your projects.

bye
Ron

Hezkore

As I've said; I've updated BmxNG using this method since March and not had a single problem.
(not saying things could go wrong though)
But perhaps a script for Linux (sh) and Windows (bat) to "clean modules" would be a simple solution.
Just have it remove those build files in the 'mod' folder.
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

Derron

Since march .... it depends on whether there are ground breaking changes in BCC which resolve bugs (they would else still lurk around in the precompiled module code based on potentially faulty C-code). See: some bugs fixed in BCC were never apparent to you until you saw the "fix commit" - still they could affect you somehow. Then this happens, you raise a github issue, blame to use the newest modules and BCC sources - but once you did a complete recompile (including modules) the bug is somehow vanished.

Precompilates are fine for quick compilation times - but as with every cache you need to make sure to invalidate on changes.

@ bat and sh
Yes, I think so too. Of course one could have a simple "maintenance.bmx" thing which handles downloading, building, cleaning" for you. A binary would be needed as the downloading requires functionality not available to ".bat" without 3rd party dependencies. A binary could just use "bah.curl" to fetch stuff from the httpS-urls of the repositories as github.

bye
Ron

_PJ_

Well that's a lot of posts. I get that the convesation has drifted and there's some discussion over various techniques and specifics but honestly, I'm a bit lost now...

I think what I'll do is wait and see if I need to update at some point in the future - and when I do, I'l revisit this and go through what I have against what I need and seek advice on how best to achieve.Luckily for now, it looks like I have a solid version.

Thanks again.

___

Derron

@ _PJ_
You can use what Hezkore kindly provided to you. But if you update, make sure to remove the "brl.mod / pub.mod" ... files which are also provided in Hezkore's downloads (just not compiled yet).
This means you will recompile the modules used in your project but this happens only the first time for the platform/architecture (64bit + windows) you are compiling for.

bye
Ron

_PJ_

Okay - Done!
I used Hezkore's most recent update (dated today in fact) hopefully this should be cumulative so I didn't need to perform each update in turn?

I removed the "standard" .mod files from my installation and replaced all the files with those from the downloaded update.

I then re-compiled a mock BMax code and a whole slew of files were processed.

Now the "About" documentation panel shows

BCC Version: bcc[ng] Release Version 0.113 --- Seems increased :)
BMK Version: bmk 3.40 mt-win32-x64  / gcc 080100 cpu x64 --- Seems increased :)

Everything else remains the same

The IDE is still 1.523 (ng) Is this correct?

Why are Menu\PROGRAM\"Build Modules" and Menu\PROGRAM\"Rebuild Modules"  options always 'greyed out'? Should I worry?

I also tried to Rebuild Documentation, and this gave a few errors...

Do I need to do anything else to ensure everything is now up to date?

(( I've not used any other .mod files ))

Derron

if you replaced modules and binaries - then this should work.
Rebuilding docs is ok but not needed for general "coding".

bye
Ron

Hezkore

The newest IDE source comes with the package, it's located in 'src'.
But you will have to compile the IDE yourself.
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

_PJ_

Quote from: Derron on October 25, 2019, 19:33:29
Rebuilding docs is ok but not needed for general "coding".
Yeah of course, but I prefer to have all the documentation in place for anything- wasn't sure if maybe some modules got updated or added etc. and the docs just don't exist generally or if there might be some error with my implementation here.

QuoteThe newest IDE source comes with the package, it's located in 'src'.
But you will have to compile the IDE yourself.
Got it.
(And Done)

---
So the BMK.bmx in the SRC folder ... is that also necessary to rebuild? Do I update the mods etc first then compile the SRC dir stuff? Or compile the SRC stuff to make a new IDE/BMK with which to compile the updated modules What comes first chicken or egg? :D :D :D

It all seems to work okay, so itäs not a complete disaster - that's a win in my book!