Demo Scene Raspberry pi

Started by Steve Elliott, August 12, 2019, 18:02:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

I've always admired the Demo Scene Coders that pushed limited hardware to produce cool demos, and what better time than now with the cheap fixed hardware of the Raspberry pi?  Some quick Google searches and some things emerged...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSJRzdj1rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwohARpaZo

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Wow!, from 3 years and 5 years ago :o clever stuff. I thought they were pi 4 demos ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Nope!  Imagine what the pi4 could accomplish!! :o
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 12, 2019, 18:22:47
Nope!  Imagine what the pi4 could accomplish!! :o
I know :o can't wait to see how it's pushed. Two 4K demo's running at once on dual monitors? :P

p.s. play nice people ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

p.s. play nice people ;D

Yeah, a nice little thread about optimization and guys producing amazing stuff on a £30 computer, and then some arse that sucks the fun out of anything, also comments with something irrelevant!!

The last straw for me, Derron is always far far too negative and overly picky on everything - therefore very irritating in my eyes.  IMO he sucks the fun out of most threads he comments on.  Arrogantly saying that's not interesting.  WTF??! DON'T POST IN A THREAD THAT DOESN'T INTEREST YOU THEN!!  So I've added him to an ignore list, which means I won't see any of his posts.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteYeah, a nice little thread about optimization and guys producing amazing stuff on a £30 computer
Yeah, I gonna try setting up my pi 4 with a minimal install of CentOS 7, install all the needed web stuff and put a mirror of syntaxbomb ( different IP address ) on it to see what members think of the performance.

I assume the Pi 4 can boot from USB 3 with an SSD?

Until the next time.

Derron

You could have simply removed the youtubevideo-link-embed-thing instead of purging my whole post.

So again: Demo scene stuff for the pi3 or pi4 are not interesting - else you just could check what an 2010 based computer was able to do (+ some more powerful gpu-features). It is not as limited as stuff people like to use for "in the wild". Nor is it so powerful that it allows stuff currently done in the "pc compo" entries.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteYou could have simply removed the youtubevideo-link-embed-thing instead of purging my whole post.
This is a pi based thread and not an old school demo thread, hence the removal :)

QuoteSo again: Demo scene stuff for the pi3 or pi4 are not interesting
Not interesting to you but to some others it is. Posting you don't think it's interesting is only going to come across as weird baiting and wasn't really worth posting.

Until the next time.

Derron

I did not mean to say it is not interesting for ME ... I just wrote what I think the "demo coders" are thinking (because you replied to Steve that the videos are old).

The hardware of the first pi might have reached a certain level in interest but the faster they got ... the less "different" they were to normal computers - so what reasons do you see for these demo sceners to code for that particular "mini computer" instead of a "normal home computer" - or a really limited hardware (classic consoles, handhelds, ...).

bye
Ron

Xerra

Those demos are fantastic - especially for 2014. Early PI's weren't that powerful so I always find it amazing what people can do with such limited resources. Owning a C64 in my youth and seeing what coders could do with so little resources for example.

These demo's reminded me of when the Amiga was just coming into peoples awareness and the demo coders from the C64 had such new, powerful hardware to let loose with.

Great stuff.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Those demos are fantastic - especially for 2014. Early PI's weren't that powerful

I agree, and as well as the impressive demos for the limited hardware and cheap price, another point is the pi is fixed hardware like the computers of old.  With a standard PC there are an unlimited number of configurations, where as if you draw a line in the sand and say I'm going to develop for the pi4, you know your code will run the same on all Raspberry pi 4's.  So it becomes a bit like developing for a fixed hardware games console, without the hassles of multiple hardware configurations.

Of course you could test your skills further and develop some demos for a Raspberry pi 1 or even the pi zero!
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Which pi4, the one with 1gig, 2gig or 4gig of ram?
A one with a fan to avoid throttling?

I understand that this worked for the Pi1 or maybe also for a PiZero - but the later incarnations/revisions added more options and do not work the same on all installations (see "throttling").
Which (in addition to the "computing power" of the new devices) is why I suppose that the interest in newer RasberryPi (or BananaPi or ...) is lower than before.

This is why some entries here:
www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform%5B0%5D=Raspberry+Pi&order=party
are just using the raspi to control stuff (while they could of course have just used a cheaper arduino/atmega chip).

@ "Impressiveness"
I am most impressed by these 4k, 8k, ... demos as it is astounding what they can create procedurally with some bytes pressed into an algorithm.
The videos above are showing something I am not capable of doing but I dunno - even for a 5 years old thing they visually look a bit dated already. Maybe they have other limitations (procedural textures, size limits) but if they did not have any limit I bet you could create visually even more pleasing stuff on that hardware (just check what smartphones of that time were capable of). But maybe I am just judging "passed time" wrong and mix up stuff from "4 years" ago with "5 years ago".

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

My SyntaxBomb settings mean I can't see what you said Derron, and I don't want too either.  Why are you still posting in a thread that you have said doesn't interest you?!

Derron - So again: Demo scene stuff for the pi3 or pi4 are not interesting

Qube - Not interesting to you but to some others it is. Posting you don't think it's interesting is only going to come across as weird baiting and wasn't really worth posting.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

I know you won't read my post but maybe someone quotes it sooner or later ;-)

The initial (but purged) post might have been more clear than my hastily added reply which skipped some introduction words. My posts contain two things: what I think about the videos posted above (that on the one hand I am not able to achieve such stuff but on the other hand it already looks a bit dated for "2014"). And the second thing: why I think that the demo sceners are not using the raspberry pi for graphical demos (too fast hardware, configurability, throttling, ...).

PS: It is a bit "childish" to block users. We are not 12 and I am pretty sure to have not insulted you (willently) while I was insulted/asked to commit suicide without blocking users for this now ;-). Neither did I spam you with messages. It just creates odd looking discussions as you miss the content people are potentially replying to.
Also do not forget: English is not my mother tongue so stuff like "are not interesting" might be wrong as you better write "are not of interest" to better distinguish "me" and "the people including me".

bye
Ron

BasicBoy

I enjoyed those demos. The principle coder (Blueghost) sure has some fine coding chops!