Monkey site down for maintenance or is it the end?

Started by Qube, August 10, 2019, 02:02:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

http://monkeycoder.co.nz is showing down for maintenance :

What could it mean?, is it closing?, is it getting an upgrade?, is there an announcement of a new language?

Theories a go-go :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Amon

Naughty Alien

sphinx

Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

plenatus

Quote from Mark on discord:Hi everyone, I've decided to shut down monkeycoder.co.nz for at least a while, possibly for good.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: c0d3r9 on August 10, 2019, 15:48:21
Quote from Mark on discord:Hi everyone, I've decided to shut down monkeycoder.co.nz for at least a while, possibly for good.
And the 3rd community site vanishes! - No big surprise there really. It's been on the cards ever since the development of Monkey2 ground to a halt. Nice that he gave the community time to save any info from the site they wanted to keep.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Dabz

A shame, but very much not surprising... A few Sibly worshipping forum trolls shitting on people that were pointing out genuine concerns a long time ago was the kiss of death for me personally, and these people, somehow, thought plonking a monkey logo on startup in 3rd party apps was the way to go and would set monkey2 on fire, as well as other half arsed ideas!

And the Patreon thing, which again, was based around bad advice from aforementioned Sibly worshippers, that didnt go to well either, alright at the start I suppose, but come the end, the figures were dire!

But hey, people clammered for decent updates to BlitzMax, people who actually released stuff and had hordes of code built up ready to go, they said they would pay for it, I would of paid because I loved BlitzMax, he ignored them, and proceeded on his venture for syntax gymnastics, basically reinventing wheels, instead of concentrating on what made Blitz good in the first place... Making games easily, freeing you from bullshite that other, more professional lines of languages bog you down with.

The beginning of the end was really when he took the cleaver to the BlitzBasic community, there was no coming back from that, which I've always wondered why he did that as he did have a large userbase, which was there, combined with his none marketing skills, it was a bit silly!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Steve Elliott

and proceeded on his venture for syntax gymnastics, basically reinventing wheels, instead of concentrating on what made Blitz good in the first place... Making games easily, freeing you from bullshite that other, more professional lines of languages bog you down with.

*this*
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Hezkore

He's going to shut down the site cause no one used it.
He'll be online in the chat more often.
And he plans to merge some SDL 2.0.9 updates to Monkey 2 soon.

I always told him that a GitHub pages site would be a lot better for him.
It would host itself and he wouldn't need to keep updating it.
But who listens to me.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

Steve Elliott

A few Sibly worshipping forum trolls

I would never use anything from that con man ever again, and wouldn't believe a word of what he says.  Getting people to give him money under false pretences to fund his syntax dream, then doing what he wanted (rather than what paid users wanted).  And yet again he's taken down a website that his users used and relied upon without warning...In the early days he was a hero, now he's very lucky he's not been in court.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Mark, if you're reading this....

1.. Make Blitz3D 2 for desktops.

2.. Charge for it and not give it away.

3.. After purchase it entitles the user to one year of updates. After the first year users can update their license for a smaller fee for a further 12 months of updates. If they don't want to update then they can still use the version they are on until they do want to update.

That way you get continued income from users who want to see it develop and grow and not just rely on one time payments or donations.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Yes, to allow free updates for life is financial suicide.  As for a simple to use language aimed at games production, well Mark now seems to think that is beneath him. So his languages have failed because he didn't listen to what people actually wanted.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteYes, to allow free updates for life is financial suicide.
It certainly is. To have a product that's constantly updated and improved does not work with a one off payment as you'll never get a decent constant flow of new users. Yet the users you do have there will be a good chunk of those who would be happy to pay a small yearly fee for updates and improvements. Make sense to me :P

Until the next time.

GaborD

Quote from: Steve Elliott on August 10, 2019, 23:55:29
Yes, to allow free updates for life is financial suicide.  As for a simple to use language aimed at games production, well Mark now seems to think that is beneath him. So his languages have failed because he didn't listen to what people actually wanted.

He probably missed a big opportunity to grow his brand and product portfolio back in those days. So many people were waiting for a modern Blitz3D version. Even just elevating it to DX9 would have done so much.
I was a huge Blitz3D fan, was hoping one day we get Blitz3D2 and can up the ante. But it never materialized.
Nothing against Max as a language, but the "modular barebones main product" approach is not that great without established addon makers.
All those half baked 3D addons that never worked or got dropped like hot potatoes before reaching release didn't do it any favors.
So I went to NB and had tons of fun with that, but it never reached a final truly stable release either and was also a victim of the "updates forever" nonsense. :P
Ah well, in the long run Unity and UE would still have steamrolled everything anyway.