Bounty $200 - Blender .B3D Exporter

Started by Kippykip, August 03, 2019, 18:01:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kippykip

Hey guys, I find creating .B3D models is a bit of a painful process.
The most reliable exporters I've found is to use MilkShape 3D or FragMotion, but to be completely honest they're not great editors. An alternative way is to get the fantastic .MS3D exporter/importer, export your blender model to MilkShape 3D and then export again to .B3D. But it's tedious to be honest.
There's also some .B3D py exporters already for blender, but when exporting models with animations, it crashes upon loading in Blitz3D / OpenB3d / MiniB3D. Funnily enough FragMotion can read these perfectly fine with the animation.
The same thing happens when I get an older version of Blender that matches the version of one of the many python export scripts, but the same crash happens with animations. And some flat out don't export textures either. Although from what I gather on the forum archives it worked fine for other users? Not too sure.

Anyhow, I'm willing to paypal any skillful programmer $200 AUD to fix/make an up to date, exporter that exports with the animations and textures correctly.
Anyone up for the challenge?

EDIT: Whoops this was supposed to be in the MiniB3D section, would an admin be kind enough to move it there?

Hezkore

I feel like triyng to avoid B3D would be a better idea.
It's a very old format, and you'll have to update the B3D extension for Blender sooner or later anyways.
So why not add glTF support to MiniB3D instead?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

Kippykip

Quote from: Hezkore on August 03, 2019, 18:12:40
I feel like triyng to avoid B3D would be a better idea.
It's a very old format, and you'll have to update the B3D extension for Blender sooner or later anyways.
So why not add glTF support to MiniB3D instead?
To be honest I would love to have some new formats supported on OpenB3D, but .B3D has been used in a lot of projects I'd also like to modify to be honest.
Other old formats still seem to be doing well such as Half Life 1 SMDs and Quake MD2s.

Kippykip

Finally found a version that appears to work:
https://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?7509-Blender-B3D-2-6x-Export-script

Although you WILL need to use this version of Blender
https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.63/

EDIT: Nevermind, now there's a 50% chance of it crashing when LoadAnimMesh is used on the model. That's odd as h e c c
Bounty is still on though of course

EDIT 2: The MineTest script seems to work great on Blender 2.79 (although I will def do more testing later). I actually stumbled upon this one a while ago, but neglected it because it didn't export textures.
Turns out it was just one of the options on the sidebar ???
https://github.com/minetest/B3Dexport

Alternatively I made an edited version with texture output enabled by default.
https://github.com/Kippykip/B3DExport

I'll keep you all updated on whether it breaks/crashes randomly.
EDIT: I did find if you have the Blender animation time "Start:" set to "Start: 0" it crashed OpenB3D etc. So start it from "Start: 1"

RemiD

The most reliable exporters I've found is to use MilkShape 3D or FragMotion, but to be completely honest they're not great editors.
fragmotion is a very good mesh editor, you can do everything with it (modeling, materials, uvmapping, rigging, skinning, animation) 8) ,and the modeling can be really precise (see my demos of procedural generation of environments with premade parts), and the b3d export is clean... not sure what else you need ?

Kippykip

Quote from: RemiD on August 11, 2019, 18:47:24
The most reliable exporters I've found is to use MilkShape 3D or FragMotion, but to be completely honest they're not great editors.
fragmotion is a very good mesh editor, you can do everything with it (modeling, materials, uvmapping, rigging, skinning, animation) 8) ,and the modeling can be really precise (see my demos of procedural generation of environments with premade parts), and the b3d export is clean... not sure what else you need ?
Really? Maybe I should look more into Fragmotion. I've only used it really for converting models around.