AGK - Getting worse over time?

Started by Qube, July 27, 2019, 02:44:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

QuoteIf "DrawSprite()" really is an "immediate" command then the benefit should be very noticeable in demos like Qube's (drawing only one asset a hundred of times, no other assets "inbetween").
I guess some systems just handle it better. I've tried 1000's of sprites at once and can't make Sync() faster than DrawSprite() / Swap() on Mac. I suspect with Vulkan it will show up more but I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of hiding / cloning sprites so I think for now I'll just force OpenGL rendering and be happy that the main vSync() bug will be fixed in the next version of Studio along with some tweaks for DrawSprite().

QuotePS: I wonder why nobody blamed of that vsync() bug "Paul" just found after... how many months/years? Sometimes it seems the main functions are still possible causes of sleepless nights ;-)
I'm just glad that issues have been found and fixed / will be fixed. In the end it was worth compiling nine exe's across three OS's to gain a better picture of what was going on.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

plenatus

At least now Paul should make some benchmark/function test before he release a new version  ;)

Steve Elliott

At least now Paul should make some benchmark/function test before he release a new version  ;)

lol yes a very good idea, and a common sense approach.   :D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

I suspected screen refresh rate / resolution might have something to do with it so did a quick test.

On an external mon, with vSync on still gives same 30fps, while without goes well into the 500's.

Now the external mon has a lower res of 1360x768, so I lowered the resolution on the inbuild screen from 1920x1080 to that one and same thing there; 30fps with +500's without. However I also noticed both tries were having considerable  flicker on some individual items, which I never had seen before. Switching back resolutions didn't resolve.

Then when I messed about with the IDE refresh settings, such as Event based rendering (disabled cuts fps to a crawl!) and in Windows Settings>System>Display>Scale & layout 100%(changes size of text, apps and other items) then suddenly the flicker was gone!

Weird stuff.