October 17, 2019, 05:39:09 PM

Author Topic: AGK - Getting worse over time?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
Re: AGK - Getting worse over time?
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
If "DrawSprite()" really is an "immediate" command then the benefit should be very noticeable in demos like Qube's (drawing only one asset a hundred of times, no other assets "inbetween").
I guess some systems just handle it better. I've tried 1000's of sprites at once and can't make Sync() faster than DrawSprite() / Swap() on Mac. I suspect with Vulkan it will show up more but I'm not sure if I want to go down the route of hiding / cloning sprites so I think for now I'll just force OpenGL rendering and be happy that the main vSync() bug will be fixed in the next version of Studio along with some tweaks for DrawSprite().

PS: I wonder why nobody blamed of that vsync() bug "Paul" just found after... how many months/years? Sometimes it seems the main functions are still possible causes of sleepless nights ;-)
I'm just glad that issues have been found and fixed / will be fixed. In the end it was worth compiling nine exe's across three OS's to gain a better picture of what was going on.
Until the next time...

Offline c0d3r9

« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
At least now Paul should make some benchmark/function test before he release a new version  ;)
Laptop: Win10@64bit - i3 2x2Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1TB HDD
Desktop: Win10@64bit - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G - MSI B450 Tomahawk - 8GB Ram - 240GB SSD

Online Steve Elliott

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »
At least now Paul should make some benchmark/function test before he release a new version  ;)

lol yes a very good idea, and a common sense approach.   :D
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »
I suspected screen refresh rate / resolution might have something to do with it so did a quick test.

On an external mon, with vSync on still gives same 30fps, while without goes well into the 500's.

Now the external mon has a lower res of 1360x768, so I lowered the resolution on the inbuild screen from 1920x1080 to that one and same thing there; 30fps with +500's without. However I also noticed both tries were having considerable  flicker on some individual items, which I never had seen before. Switching back resolutions didn't resolve.

Then when I messed about with the IDE refresh settings, such as Event based rendering (disabled cuts fps to a crawl!) and in Windows Settings>System>Display>Scale & layout 100%(changes size of text, apps and other items) then suddenly the flicker was gone!

Weird stuff.