AGK Studio

Started by Steve Elliott, July 25, 2019, 08:41:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Did they provide Tier2 projects and libs in AGKs?

Yes.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

@ Mike
Feel free to report progress on Cerberus here too (so not about fixes but interesting new stuff).
Maybe some AGK-boys will try once they are a bit annoyed of AGK(Studio).

@ Qube
If you want you could provide binaries to test (am not owning AGKStudio).

Might the stuttering have to do with your display refresh rate? eg. "144 Hz" does not divide well and some rounding takes place?
Any maybe "classic" split update and rendering or does some tweening or ... ?

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteQube, it could be that the MoltenVK path will be an invalid solution in the next OSX release, which is scheduled for September 2019. If TGC is smart, their will go for Metal2 directly.
I'd wouldn't be surprised if Apple fiddle with the Metal API somehow in order to break MoltenVK on purpose from time to time. As for TGC going for Metal directly I can't see that as then they would be maintaining 3 different renderers. Be interesting to see if the Vulkan renderer on Mac appears within weeks ( as they say ) or months+

QuoteWhat I find more disturbing is that theiy said that AGKS 1.x is only about the IDE and the vulkan renderer. New features will  be added in V2.x which was a payed upgrade in AGKC. As the vulkan render doesn't give that much advantage, it would be smart and IMHO cheaper to wait for  V2 if someone wants to upgrade from AGKC.
So within a year they ask for people to pay again you think?. I say within a year as once the shiny new renderer is done on all platforms there really isn't much more they can do beyond adding new V2 features.

What bothers me is that after AGK Classic 2018-07-12 the raw FPS dropped significantly which has never been fixed. Also the v1 release of Studio has screwed up constant silky smooth scrolling with hiccups and judders happening at random times. Reporting these will just get ignored at the moment as it's all about the new renderer so I'll wait until things have settled.

TGC seem to be in an awful rush at the moment to have shiny new products and things to shout about whilst ignoring a full back catalogue of bugs and issues to fix. What I find scary is the amount of people that accept this and get excited that a shiny new feature is arriving instead. I guess it's the vocal minority that never really produce much that get excited rather than hope and pray bugs and issue are squashed first.

Hopefully things will sort themselves out over the coming months as things settle down or else it'll be goodbye to AGK.

QuoteIf you want you could provide binaries to test (am not owning AGKStudio).
Good idea. Later today I'll do some binaries of Classic and Studio for comparison.

QuoteMight the stuttering have to do with your display refresh rate? eg. "144 Hz" does not divide well and some rounding takes place?
Any maybe "classic" split update and rendering or does some tweening or ... ?
Nah, my iMac display is locked at 60hz.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Qube, IMHO there seem to be no real reason for the fps drop in agkc. Only to make AGKs new renderer look better  :P

Steve Elliott

Qube, IMHO there seem to be no real reason for the fps drop in agkc. Only to make AGKs new renderer look better  :P

lol Qube and myself have dicussed that 'theory' too Mike.   ;D
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Maybe they abstracted some stuff in the renderer class - like an API. And added a bit of overhead here and there - and a little compromise hidden in this or that corner so that Vulkan and the likes are possible.

Even switching from timers to events or whatever is possible can lead to measurable differences.

Yet we had the issue of this Geany-fork-thing ("editor") being sluggish after an update - it is open source and one could try to spot what change resulted in this behaviour. Yet this should not be the work of _paying_ customers.
An editor (which you use to code in that language) should work flawless - else it is a product defect (it is not useable as intended - like smoothly typing in code words in the editor). If it was sold in Germany we could give it back then - maybe this is similar to the UK or where AGK is coming from.
Especially with only some hundred of sales (or how many they have) each individual lost sale is something they miss.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Just received an email from them

We've had a few issues reported via TheGameCreators forums and we're working on a new build for next week
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

I got that email too but I don't think it's anything to do with the speed drop or jitters since AGK Classic 2018-07-12

Currently doing Mac / Win and Linux versions of AGK Classic 2018-07-12 vs 2019-06-11 vs Studio 2019-07-23 so they can see the difference. I'll post the source + downloads here and there too and hopefully they'll look into it without saying "wait for the Vulkan engine to be fully ready"
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Not to put the old cat amongst the pigeons, Blitz3D + Fastlibs still cuts my mustard  :P
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

I got that email too but I don't think it's anything to do with the speed drop or jitters since AGK Classic 2018-07-12

I agree, but they might notice some incorrect code as they look at solving something unrelated.  It's concerning though.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

QuoteBlitz3D + Fastlibs
Is no competition, even with the lag. Major shortcoming: it's not cross-platform, so too limited for my needs.

3DzForMe

I'm guessing AGK classic seems like the best choice for stable FPS for the time being then?
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

MikeHart

Quote from: 3DzForMe on July 28, 2019, 06:13:43
I'm guessing AGK classic seems like the best choice for stable FPS for the time being then?
I would bet money on it that it won't get any updates anymore. And the people that have projects depending on glsl shaders are screwed either way as you can't tell AGKs to use opengl. If it detects that the driver is supporting vulkan, it will use that.

Steve Elliott

I would bet money on it that it won't get any updates anymore.

That's why Studio is the only version I now have installed; hopefully they'll get their act together with this new version at some stage.  At least Qube's post on the AGK Forum is now being looked at.

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/224808
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..i think i can explain all this as simple as it can be..

1) They do not care for your requests or any critical thinker developer who want best out of platform
2) They want quick bucks (false adverts does this, fueled by hordes of fanbois, masturbating on to shiny screenshots of shader based work which they will never see)
3) They 'care' for fanboi base, which is as clueless as zombie listening Verdi's Aida, and very easy to milk out..

..thats all about it..how i know this? I bought damn thing some time back, got excited and realized that documentation is at Mesozoic, while existing one, available, demonstrate features which doesnt work at all. You go to dev web site and ask, and you get eaten by fanboi zombiez. So, it seems, nothing has been changed after all.