AGK Studio

Started by Steve Elliott, July 25, 2019, 08:41:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

Sadly I have to agree with NA...The fanboi lot are not helping matters, and if they don't get their act together as I hope, then I'll move on. 
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

GaborD

Yeah that forum community is weird. Some negative nancies with 0 clue about 3D over there who are not afraid to openly show their ignorance and insult you based on it.

Anyway, so far I really like AGK, I hope it won't turn into another bloated engine in the future, we have more than enough of those. I hope they fix the Studio issues, it's still early stages.
But seeing the request threads, I have some fears about the future haha. Seems a lot of people want a UnityLight.
Perfomance and simplicity while allowing for relatively low level control and flexibility is basically AGK's big core USP. If people ask for that to be sacrificed on the altar of zeroskillness, not much will be left. Might as well use Unity or UE4 in that case.

Qube

QuoteAt least Qube's post on the AGK Forum is now being looked at.
Good good, I'm glad that at least it's been officially recognised and marked to be looked at.

QuoteSadly I have to agree with NA
It's true that a lot jump up and down with happiness over new shiny features which they can play with for 5 minutes whereas they'd soon be less happy when developing a game only to realise that a version from a year ago performs much faster and smoother.

Sure, it's easy to miss the performance degradation and only come across it during speed testing your routines and watching movement for ages to make sure it's smooth and flows well. So I can imagine most of the quick play with new features crew miss the most important core stability stuff.

Quoteand if they don't get their act together as I hope, then I'll move on.
Me to... I'll keep pushing the issue for a few months as no doubt the whole Vulkan thing is no.1 priority and they'll hope that it sorts out all the speed / stutter issues.  If it does then great so we'll see how it goes over the coming weeks.

If it doesn't get fixed and priority moves from Vulkan to the next shiny new feature and the next new feature then it'll be bye bye AGK and find something else. That something else will probably be me learning C, arrgghhh.

QuoteI have some fears about the future haha. Seems a lot of people want a UnityLight.
Yes, I keep hearing calls for a 3D scene editor and XYZ features. It's a shame there are not more calls to get the core engine bug free and current command set fully functional as to me it's more important to have a solid base than new features piled on new feature on top of an engine that has had issues creep in over the last year+
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I hope it won't turn into another bloated engine in the future

I hope they fix the Studio issues, it's still early stages.

Perfomance and simplicity while allowing for relatively low level control and flexibility is basically AGK's big core USP.

Oh definitely.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

@Qube
QuoteYes, I keep hearing calls for a 3D scene editor and XYZ features. It's a shame there are not more calls to get the core engine bug free and current command set fully functional as to me it's more important to have a solid base than new features piled on new feature on top of an engine that has had issues creep in over the last year+

Core indeed should be first. But I think I know where all this is coming from:
A while ago I checked out Godot, which looks pretty impressive at first glance, but is basically.. well 'Godot' as in the play:
waiting for something that will likely never happen(or not quickly), as I soon found it's 3D collision routines where far from acceptable, so that's where they lost me. Nevertheless looks good, nice and shiny with loads of interesting (competing) features  to attract newbies.

So now apart from any previous competition it 'appears' a beginner can now choose between:

A) Unity
Looks good, promises a lot, free partially, has a lot of nice features, is accepted by the industry and uses OOP/C#, but imho it's a b*tch to deal with if you want some more advanced stuff and soon spins out of control, like a spaghetti coded piece of work.

B) Godot
Offers similar features/promises, is completely free and has a friendlier basic-like script, but also is still a work in progress by volenteers, with all the side effects that come with that.

C) AGK
Similar, but with a bit of an old school, 'hard-core' IDE and has to be updated to stay 'up there' with likes and shininess of Unities & Godots, which takes time and investments, while the purchase fee is relatively modest.

Development has be financed and if they want to keep competitive they probably need hire additional personnel, which they apparently do not have the means for currently. So.. I'd say they had to make some tough decisions to stay afloat and alive, resulting in the flashy stuff to attract new users such as the more graphical IDE, which is very suitable for 1st timers.
I hope they'll manage to get through this though and then get back to the nitty-gritty, tackling issues that were lingering for too long. Might also be they automatically come across those while switching to Vulkan/Metal, which would seem logical, but not perse a priority for them currently: first things first.

BTW: I still like the old IDE better, even without the benefits of color preferences that I do not have to mod with every iteration and the new time saving scene editing, as I do not(or hardly) do 2D.

Would have loved to be able to disconnect windows across different monitors such as for instance paint.net allows. Then I wouldn't have nagged them about the wasted space of the top few rows..

Hotshot

I have been thinking about buying AGK Studio but holding off until they fixed issue and also I agree with people above on what they say that they make core of AGK Studio stronger :)

A) Unity?

I like unity 3D but it can time consuming when you want finished the projected.

B) Godot?

I don't like Godot to be honest as seem bit of mess and confusing.

C) AGK?

Seem ok but not great!

D) GLBasic?

OLD IDE(they need improve it). I am not fan of GLBasic on codewise.

E)  Thinbasic?

Terrible.  Avoid it!

F)  Purebasic?

Good IDE. Codewise? I like it apart from commands like StartDrawing(OutputID) and Stopdrawing which is not need

G) Blitzbasic?

It maybe Old but still the Best.

F) BlitzMax?

Same again but coding wise is bit more Advance than Blitzbasic.

So take your pick and stick with it and see where goes from there :)

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

I think I've just be asked to calm down too over there? :o

I do find some moderators on that forum very easily triggered into action like they're dealing with a bunch of screaming kids who need chastising at the earliest stage. Very weird with his bold writing and colouring in words in red to emphasise his point.

Decided I'll not post anymore in that thread unless the author of AGK requires it. Too many people willing to dive in and defend AGK or offer advice based on nothing to do with the reported issues like "have you tried delta time", "raw FPS isn't important, how fast do you want it to go?" and "new commands may have caused 400FPS drop but I'd rather that happen than lose the shiny new command".

Right, which language do I try next? :P
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

lol I think he was telling me to calm down, I'm calm, just irritated.  Sorry, but I do find it irritating when people don't read a thread properly and come wading in without reading - like the things you mentioned here.  Two people in quick succession did it after you told somebody they were missing the point.

And yes, heavy moderating is not required or appreciated by users.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on July 29, 2019, 17:08:04
lol I think he was telling me to calm down, I'm calm, just irritated.
He never referenced anyone but posted directly after my post so I thought he was on at me for something. If it was posts further up then you'd of thought there would be a @username to show who they are referring too. Ah well, I'm done with that thread now beyond Paul asking direct info so I'll just leave them to it.

Quote from: Steve Elliott on July 29, 2019, 17:08:04
Two people in quick succession did it after you told somebody they were missing the point.
Yup, it's tiring having to explain the same thing over and over again in multiple ways and the thread could / should of been so much help if users had just read the 1st post properly, understood what I'm getting at and then tested the difference on their PC and visual smoothness across the provided exe's.

I'll give it until the end of the year to see if things get fixed and if not then I'll frisbee AGK into the bin and move on.

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Customer service is certainly not their strongest point I guess  :))

GaborD

The "calm down" thing was so out of the blue.

I don't quite get their forum policing. They allow some select people to openly insult others and trash their work, but then tell others to calm down even though they said nothing offensive or even uncalm.

Derron

Seems Mr. Elliott shouldn't have played MR. CAPSLOCK to cry aloud :-)

PS: is it real vsync? I have pretty much tearing in the bottom area of the ball-scene.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

I had to shout because they weren't bloody listening lol.  :P
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuotePS: is it real vsync? I have pretty much tearing in the bottom area of the ball-scene.
It's supposed to be real vSync which will swap based on your monitors refresh rate. No delta timing was used on purpose for true output. Was the tearing present in all three binaries?

Don't suppose it could be down to me compiling those for Linux in a VM as I don't have native Linux boot.. Silly question I know but just throwing it out there.

Quote from: Steve Elliott on July 29, 2019, 22:23:46
I had to shout because they weren't bloody listening lol.  :P
I'm going to get a t-shirt with that quote ;D

I wasn't going to post anymore in that thread but with Rick's judder videos and someone on there making a valid post I thought it important to chime in once more :P

Hopefully and I'm really praying that when Paul see's that thread he takes a serious look into it. Even if it's fixed in Studio with the super Vulkan engine I'll be happy as at least "it'll be fixed". If it gets fobbed off then I'll that'll be a sad day indeed.

Until the next time.