Soak testing my son's 27 inch curvy monitor

Started by 3DzForMe, July 20, 2019, 20:49:54

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Not his birthday for 9 days, soak testing his monitor in the mean time....
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

Just thinking that maybe you want to adopt me and get me a monitor like that?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Hezkore

That's an impressive birthday present!

I bought a 27" curved 144hz monitor last year. :)
And even though I was initially worried about it being curved; I must say that I really like it!
Especially since I sit a bit close to my monitor.

(Sorry for the RGB madness, everything modern has RGB LEDs :()
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode
BlitzMax for Vim

plenatus

Thats exactly the ikea computer table wich i want to buy in near future.

3DzForMe

Quote.Just thinking that maybe you want to adopt me and get me a monitor like that?

Sorry, we all ready have both flavours of children :)

And my 22 " monitors been married to his comp for a while now, which , tbh, is the families main PC.

3DzForMe

Well, the he 27 inch curvy one was a let down, with a default Rez of ONLY 1920 X 1080 (lower than the 1200 of my old one) and what with it being stretched another 5 ", looked fuzzy.

So, and extra tenner, dropped to 23.9 inch, and the Rez is up to 2300 X 1440, sweet.

Next time I'll check the Rezs, but, to be fair, I was punch drunk shelling out 700 quid for a cooker and washing machine at the time!

Qube

A 27" @ 1920x1080? Yeah, I bet it did look fuzzy whilst sitting at the usual PC monitor range. Probably fine for in game action but not for static text and images though.

Quoteextra tenner, dropped to 23.9 inch, and the Rez is up to 2300 X 1440, sweet.
Better ;D

QuoteI was punch drunk shelling out 700 quid for a cooker and washing machine at the time!
Don't get me started on modern appliances and just how much junk they are, grr.. Couple of years ago we bought a new dryer and cooker, had great reviews and such. The cooker gained rust within a few months of little usage ( the paint started flaking off ), the top hobs aren't powerful enough to even boil water without the pan having a lid on and the top cooker takes 20+ minutes more than recommended cooking time. As for the dryer, well that just stops at random times, the beeps when you turn it on are sometimes just out of tune and you really have to push the machine against the wall before doing any drying or else it just conks out. Terrible quality.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

We'd a condensing drier for a while, 400 bloody quid for something where the bloody thermostats with the drum kept failing, which meant the drier wouldn't heat up! So, we now use an inherited drier which must be around 50 years old and has a mechanical timer which is a bit dodgy (once clothes were drying for 12 hours, leccky bill went up a bit!).

Yeah, new white goods generally seem to have too much redundancy built in!

Derron

For what are you using a dryer? Not enough wind on the isle?

We had a "white label"-solution for many years but the cover became more and more rusty - yet the washing machine worked pretty well.
We had a "white label"-dish-washer for many years (gifted, so not paid a buck for it) which worked and worked but some screws inside became rusty, sometimes the "closing mechanism" was borked (a kind of lash which folded in either open or close position - but this did not work anymore). Got tired of opening the door-inside (screws!!).

Replaced both of them when a website had some kind of "10 earliest receive 250, 20 earlierst receive a 100€ coupon and and 50 a 50€ coupon" event. I was one of the first and bought some "brand" devices which were already nearly the best price on their shop. So I paid ~400 per device (instead of 600) and they work and work and ... do not rust or have failed for now.

But what I've recognized: they are all "full electronics" now. No wheel to configure the washing programme. Also EU reglements define eg. that the dish washer needs to automatically select "eco" programme (takes 3,5hrs for some dishes). Had a talk with a service employee of the brand/company and he told me to use a different programme as this is faster, less power consuming but uses 1-2 liters more water.
Washing machine is also full-"buttons" and I guess most probable defect will be the circuit board - or the contact coal (which you can replace more easily).

Next white devices we need to replace are fridge+freezer-combo and a solo-freezer. Both are only A+. Wonder what electronic "features" they include nowerdays.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Previous washer the buttons to select cycle failed, no spares, recent one the element failed, 170 just for the spare part so binned it. As for not enough wind, yeah, but it's handy to have wind without rain.