Tom Cruise - Deep Fake by Corridor

Started by Qube, June 22, 2019, 07:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

While you can tell this is one of those "Deep Fakes" it's kinda scary where this is all heading. How long before it's impossible to tell the difference and how long before a crime is committed where the evidence is created with such tech to frame someone or even worse? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHvOyZ0GbY
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

@ Tom Cruise Video
Watch 0:30-1:00 and look at the face when he shakes his head ... it clearly does not look like Tom Cruise there (nose changes). Also back shots show different hair color then front ones (at least it looks so).
Dunno why they praise themselves with "best deep fake".

bye
Ron

Qube

@Derron, sure it's not perfect yet but it's scary what the current tech can do. Wonder how many years before it's flawless?.

Of course we'll always have you to highlight a pixel from frame 32768 which was wrong :P
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Let's not forget these guys are *not* doing it for a living and are using over the shelve(actually free) tech.

Aaaand, what they are apparently not aware of is that deep fake voice also exists which needs only a few phrases to fake a persons voice completely.

Derron

Yes, millions of people around the world will "trust" such videos. Yet there are always people who distrust everything - and such _flaws_ wont be unseen.

It's like: why were all bigfoot / alien / ... videos blurry, pixelated or taken with shaky smartphone cameras - while each "fail" a kid does with his bike when jumping over a stairway is filmed in sweetest hd with gopro, stabilisator ... and so on.

Deep Fakes lack one important aspect of "real video footage": side views. As soon as heads are facing away you will (for now) always see the current limitations of the approach. I think it is the next step to climb.
What many also do wrong: their data collection is "outdated". To have a "I am meeting XYZ" you need pretty current photos/footage of that XYZ person. Yes you can make one artificially older but it doesn't look realistic in many cases (especially if you can compare to the real person). Also something neuronal networks can learn ("how people grow up").

So do not get me wrong: future will be terrifying when it comes "what to trust" but this video here is not "the best deepfake on the internet". The best ones are those which are not marked as deep fake ;-)

@ Rick
Yes, faking the voice will have way more effect as with the lack of information (here: visual clues) people put in more trust in other senses ("what they hear") and people are still used to bad phone connections, compression, ... so that voices are kind "allowed" to change a bit here and there.
Also voice alternation can surely be done in realtime without too much horsepower (once the processing heavy training is done). Way more dangerous (allows "live telephone calls").

Regarding video: yes they might not do that for a living - but they claimed to have done the best deepfake.

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

Yep, it's not the best deep fake, just a demo of how easy it's to do nowadays with some basic mediocre stuff, not even close to that of a topnotch cgi-rendering farm. Things like this were possible already in the mid 90's, but only by secret agencies, so kinda makes you wonder where they are at rightnow. We probably do not even want to know.

Coder Apprentice

I think once these techniques reach a certain level of realism there will be laws against using them outside of legally controlled entertainment forms like movies, and they will go after people. The simple reason is that it can cause way too much damage. They allow it as long as it looks somewhat fake, distinguishable from real persons.

blinkok

I think the real danger is that people can now say something is fake even if it is real.

Amon

Quote from: blinkok on June 23, 2019, 00:45:13
I think the real danger is that people can now say something is fake even if it is real.
Yep, like the Earth being flat. We know it's flat but people still cry fake to it. ^.^

Qube

QuoteWe know it's flat but people still cry fake to it.
It's not flat or round. The fact that science can't even explain gravity suggests a serious problem. Let's not even talk about "time", that can't be scientifically proved either apart from it being described as "quantity of various measurements used to sequence events" or "time is relevant". Yeah, thanks for that so why is time perception different based on experience than actual scientific time? i.e. why is boredom so slow and fun so fast yet time is said to be the same?

Even human consciousness is such a mystery. How are we able to talk to ourselves? do we effectively have two consciousness's to allow a question / answer response?. Where is that part in the brain anyway?

Also why do we enjoy things like sunny days, fresh snow and looking at the stars?. Is there a pre coded array in the brain for "things you like"?. Before I dive out of here I have one more thought... Why do we dream?, isn't sleep said to recuperate the system?. If that's true then why do our brains works overtime making up weird and wonderful stories when it's supposed to be a relaxing time?

So many questions ;D :P

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Aaand so many answers.  ;)

Earth is not round, it's a sphere. However this applies only when observed by our limited senses.
Physics is merely a way to describe the effects that appear to be occurring (such as gravity) as they are regarded by the perception of our consciousness.
Consciousness is the ability of mater to reason about what 'self' is, which is an inevitable result of a reasoning being's survival in this perception, that appears to have some rules. Like if I cut my hand with this sharp object, it will threaten my survival.
This is if we think inside the box and applies when we think we are inside the box.

However if we strongly believe we're not in this box, does this also have consequences for our being? Do we seize to exist here and/or do we getting transformed like as in The Matrix? ( Mr. Amon reborn - Do you see?  :P )
It appears not to some, appears to be to some others. That is if there actually are any others and we (or 'I' whatever that may mean then) are not already living in a simulation.

Let's for the sake of argumentation assume we're in the here and now then developments appear to go ever faster. Moore's 'law' ie being replaced by Neven's:
https://interestingengineering.com/googles-quantum-processor-may-achieve-quantum-supremacy-in-months

From the article I get that a trillion-trillion-year-problem will be made into a 2-to-5-year problem with a quantum computer.
So let alone, the more simple problems...
In another explanation of quantum computing I read that just 1 quantum computer would have 1 million times more power than all the computers, supercomputers included, in the whole world, combined.
What if quantum computers would be as abundant as traditional computers are today??

What this means is an increase of AI evolution of the likes we cannot even begin to imagine. And not if, but when this gains self-awareness, which is fundamental to any being's survival as demonstrated above, then the consequences are even more unimaginable. No way never ever we're going to be able to put this kitty back it's bag if things go bad, or right for that matter.

Appears we are going to experience this in our lifetime if we manage to hang around for just a little bit longer. That's is if we are actually in the here and the now, for whatever that means.

All set apart from this:
I see sleep as a proces that restores the brain's capabilities, just like defragmenting and optimizing a hard drive or any database, which also takes processing power, but afterwards the computer can respond much better again, as has more space and quicker to find things that are re-indexed. However, it might not be as simple as that, for we still do not know exactly how the brain works. It might be using some form of quantum computing/storage itself, which would explain why everything appears to be connected to those who went climbing the steps of the pyramid of awareness, at which you can always look back down, but never see what's on the next step really, unless..  ;)

Qube

@Rick Nasher, you do realise that I was joking, right? :P

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Uhuh, of course ghe-ghe-ghe.  :))

Just having fun scaring the living daylights out the general population with a nice doomsday-is-coming scenario, which actually, might not even be that far off.  :P

"The end is nigh people! And it's.. beautiful.."  ;D