pentium or i3

Started by GrindalfGames, June 16, 2019, 17:30:33

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindalfGames

Im needing a new laptop as I have killed mine off and Im a little skint so I thought I would ask here.
Im currently using an i3 but I don't do anything special just Blitz3D really(I dont play any games on my laptop).

the price difference between a Pentium and an i3 is a fair amount(And like I said earlier Im a little skint) which gets me to my point....
Do you think, I would notice much difference between a Pentium and an i3 running blitz3D. Is the i3 worth the extra 100 pounds?

Derron

_100_extra_ pounds?

I bought my HP Elitebook for 170 Eur some years ago - and it is an i3 processor in it. So what would your pentium one cost?
Or are you afraid of buying a refurbished business laptop?
If the old laptop has a classic hdd in it, buy a 240gb SSD for <30 eur. Will speed up compilation time a lot.

AMD laptops had at least a bit more performant GPUs in it (new Intel generations will be better but all these HDxxx intel things were slow except for office or youtube video decoding). Yet they (the cheap and "older" generations) lack on some decent horse power (still enough for many use cases!).

bye
Ron

Coder Apprentice

I think current and even older Pentium laptops are powerful enough to use them for work in your case create Blitz3D games and underpowered enough to also be your "minimum system requirement" test machine. If you screw up something in your code that takes away too much CPU power will also be much more obvious on a Pentium while an i3 (or higher) might mask the problem. I have a few older underpowered systems. One is an ASUS laptop with a 1.5Ghz Pentium 987 and it's still pretty good for basic stuff and for development using Blitz3D...absolutely.

Also if you buy from a store with good return policy you might be able to exchange it, or get your money back if it turns out to be too slow...but I doubt speed will be an issue.

Yellownakji

Quote from: Kris on June 16, 2019, 18:44:21
I think current and even older Pentium laptops are powerful enough to use them for work in your case create Blitz3D games and underpowered enough to also be your "minimum system requirement" test machine. If you screw up something in your code that takes away too much CPU power will also be much more obvious on a Pentium while an i3 (or higher) might mask the problem. I have a few older underpowered systems. One is an ASUS laptop with a 1.5Ghz Pentium 987 and it's still pretty good for basic stuff and for development using Blitz3D...absolutely.

Also if you buy from a store with good return policy you might be able to exchange it, or get your money back if it turns out to be too slow...but I doubt speed will be an issue.

Considering i can easily code with Blitz on a Pentium 3 and have decent results/speed, i think you'd be just fine with a Pentium Dual Core laptop or a Pentium D.   You don't even need an "i" series.

GrindalfGames

well just to let everyone know I settled for a Pentium Silver and so far it has been fine. It seems to run my game at the same speeds as my old i3 so no issues here