June 18, 2019, 07:17:35 PM

Author Topic: Adventures of AGK!  (Read 415 times)

Offline Derron

Re: Adventures of AGK!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »
My first art teacher was an old grumpy little one... He wanted us to imitate styles of popular painters. Grades were given on how good you "copied".

Two years later we had a new teacher, she was also an older person but a one who gave grades on your reason for doing things the way you did.
So I painted stuff in grayscale to express boredom or the lack of external influence... Got a 1 (or "A"). We had to create a cube ... I made one out of wool ...to express a soft border in social environments which you can push around but people still try to defend their state with externals not being allowed to join the "cube". Received another 1/A.
Almost any work I did there received a good rating because of my explanation of the reasons for doing so. The work itself were always more of the "create it fast to save time / gain sparetime" approach.

Of course I liked her more for judging that way. Interestingly other pupils did not share my way of discussing and tried the classic approach of "beautiful drawings".

Bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 07:40:37 AM »
In art school we sere set a holiday project - fill notebook with pictures/paint/drawings that represent you.

I didn't do anything (of course). but had a nasty personal break up. soo..... Night before college starts I get real mad, cut up lots of magazines. start a beginning of book, stick first bit of magazine down, next page, repeat FAST. Then get paint, from tube, spluge on first page hit with brush to spread about, next page, repeat. didn't have much money so only had old blacks and reds and yellows left in my box. finished in about 2 hours - looked a real mess - pages stuck together, but boy was I happy :)

Next day college. Everyone has note books filled with beautiful drawings of plants and beaches, etc. Mine sticky mess. I was laughed at, etc by the class - etc...

tutor came in looked at all the notebooks - threw then on the floor in disgust and berated everyone. then held up mine as an example of brilliance - enough to say I was not popular - but nothing changes?

Here's a random page from the notebook (30+years old) complete with rips stuck paint, etc :)

Offline therevills

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:28 AM »
Looking good Dabz! Just a little thing, Dizzy falls off the platforms faster then his jumping.

Offline Dabz

• Is it cos I is ginger?
    • dabzy.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 06:45:07 PM »
Dizzy falls off the platforms faster then his jumping

I know Steve, basically, I had him falling at the same speed, with the animations running (walking left and right), and even though that is correct with the original game, I was looking at it and it seemed a bit slow when dropping down step like platforms (Like the one in the HTML5 demo), like, he would come off the edge and just "float" to the one underneath (Or on a steps on a 45 degree angle or more he'd float over the whole lot), and, I wasnt keen, so when he's "falling", I speeded it up slightly and prefer that, I'll say one thing though, you have a keen eye as I thought noone would really notice! :D lol

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Offline therevills

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:56 AM »
I'll say one thing though, you have a keen eye as I thought noone would really notice! :D lol

LOL! I have this strange idea that "gravity" should be constant  :P

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 06:36:32 AM »
I spotted that too but I thought it was down to early development. I was more fixated with the technical side of walking over terrain which Dab'z method works really well so hats off to that :)

Crazy to think but it was around a decade ago I was sending Dabz Christmas tunes I was creating for a match-3 game. Great to see that the passion for coding and creating still exists ;D
Until the next time...

Offline Dabz

• Is it cos I is ginger?
    • dabzy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
Well, the verdict is out, looks like I'll have to put it back to normal then, even though I don't like it! :P Now I know how Bioware feels la ;) :D hehehe

Aye, a decade, doesnt take long does it to pass over, blink and you miss it!

I made a tile map editor lastnight, crude, no fancy GUI, lol, just a wysiwyg one, I just need tiles really so I'll play about with them!!!

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 8Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 05:45:09 AM »
I made a tile map editor lastnight, crude, no fancy GUI, lol, just a wysiwyg one, I just need tiles really so I'll play about with them!!!
He he, I have a crude tile map editor too which only took a night to knock up and I've used for a few games with the comps here. No fancy features and all key driven but I was amazed how well it stood up to being used with multiple games :P

Sadly it's being retired to become are more GUI based one but I'll always hold a candle for the little brute force beast ;D
Until the next time...