Let's see how many polies we can push in AGK

Started by GaborD, June 09, 2019, 04:05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

"Talking of shaders and AGK... GarborD, would you be interested in doing some AGK tutorials for the forum?. Paid of course at a proper hourly rate. If your interested in such a thing then PM me and we'll work out all the details."

This is a serious offer as I think some quality tutorials in this area would be great for many users both old and new.

Great idea.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

@GaborD.
QuoteThanks man. I am having fun playing with this stuff.
Can certainly see that. Awesome stuff.

QuoteGTX1070. The CPU is kinda irrelevant (midrange i7-7700, no OC)
Ghe-ghe-ghe, you're still topping my new Asus laptop though:
GPU: GTX1050 - 4GB, CPU: i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8GB.

On my old system I found Unity practically unusable; the FPS were making it come to a standstill, even at the very basic demo it came with, so I don't think it's very useful for the majority of players, probably only mid to high end gamers

With AGK on the other hand I at least could achieve something, even on an old low specced system, and even use shaders a bit and still would run ok apart from the average glitch: Wasn't really build to run shaders, but still could do janbo's water-for-all shader and dynamic shadows at the same time. The water had some black glitches here, but hey what can you expect from a 12 year old, non-gaming laptop.  ;D

Ow, and  +1 for that tutorial idea..
You just have too much skill not to write a tutorial!  8)

GaborD

Yeah, I used to have tons of issues on my old machine with some engines too. Not too bad, but annoying enough to make working a pain.

That's why I like AGK, you can just strip stuff down as far as you need to.
I was just testing a million particles on the old GTX950 haha. Only 200ish FPS :p. The good news is if I load the effect with 256K, I am back up to 700 to 800. Not too bad on that old card. Surely 4 years old or so. 
In a game I would prolly only run 64K or so, that has almost no impact even on the old card.

Anyway, back to the new machine :)
I like this effect, not sure why. Nothing fancy, just a small emitter and an outer sphere shell that pulls particles onto the sphere surface. As usual, add about 70 FPS due to recording. I really should get a capture card.

Re: tutorials
I could rewrite all the old NB tutorials for AGK I guess. I had everything from the anatomy of a shader to explanations of things like linear space and basic PBR, vertex manipulatulations in shaders, etc.
But those threads never got much traction back in the day, I assumed people don't care to learn shaders :)
Right now I have no free time, swamped with work stuff, lost too much time due to sickness and other crap, but once it calms down I'll look into it. Should be fun.
@Qube No payments necessary haha, we could put it into your prize pools I guess.

Derron

iWasAdam

Really nice looking plasma particles.  :o 8)

And a great resource from Derron about the shaders too  ::)

Rick Nasher

Almost one of those high voltage plasma balls. 8)

Qube

Love the growth of the particles at the beginning of the video

Why do the Tris stay the same between the scenes?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

Quote from: Qube on June 13, 2019, 05:49:44
Why do the Tris stay the same between the scenes?
It's the available budget, because the underlying geometry is not being altered. Would kill performance to constantly shovel that much geometry between CPU and GPU.

Some more game-ish tests, just for fun. I want to make a shooter with laser beams :)
Just a simple line emitter with realtime controllable end points (click to view big)

Burst laser with turbulence:

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GUOj3IELY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGhGWpQyvY

This is fun to play around with.

Derron

A kind of "pulse wave" (circle after circle after circle ...) following a line might look interesting too.

Like in cheap "mind control"-effects or if a 60s pulsar-weapon was fired.

How would you handle lighting (particles emit light)? Dynamic lights could be costly so would surely be faked (only some lights along the path) - but this might be interesting too.

bye
Ron

GaborD

Yep that's a good idea. Wanted to try more game like things anyway.
Also a good test for my "I usually don't touch code once the system is done claim." :p

Here is my first stab at it, just with settings, same code as the laser, the orbs and all of the stuff. Could be tweaked further ofcourse with better sprite images and whatnot.
I should also add a tube attractor for effects like this, only have a sphere. Would be more precise. Or maybe a speed offset based on where the particle spawns on the emitter ring. Haha you gave some good ideas for additional features :)

Low game-like settings (definitely fast enough for a game):

Maxed settings, still kinda fast-ish

Quick vid of low-ish settings

As to how to handle light, that's a very game or engine side thing, I guess it would depend on how the game is built and what lighting system it uses.
I have some ideas how to fake it for something like a top down shooter, could be fun to try.

Derron

The first ring should not "pop out of nothing" it should somehow come into "existence" (grow or fade in or "built up").

Else it looks similar to what I had in mind :-)

bye
Ron

GaborD

True. But that's an easy fix, coloring is based on a small gradient image, fading can be easily done in the image. Also have size fading built in, that would work too. :)

Derron

You can use this effect (with in/decreasing ring speed) for space ships using worm holes / warp tunnels / ....

Do not forget to build shaders for fuse flames of spacecraft vehicles.

Also planets could benefit from some auora thingies.

While it uses a lot of gpu horse power at the end...it at least saves on required assets (small apps)

Bye
Ron

col

A nice set of effects !

Looking forward to see what else you come up with next :)
Imagination is something I lack unfortunately  :P
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

GaborD

Quote from: Derron on June 13, 2019, 19:03:26
Do not forget to build shaders for fuse flames of spacecraft vehicles.

A simple disc emitter with some directional spawn-speed and a cylinder with falloff that applies a push (so that the center has faster exhaust than the edges) should do it.
Really fast too because we can use low particle counts and some rotated blob images to get a nice varied effect. The particle budget set in the example is high enough to have about 8 exhausts running simultaniously. Depending on use, one could dial per-exhaust count up for a more detailed effect, kinda like an effect LOD.
Could ofcourse also be done with less turbulent blue-ish flames for a more sci-fi-ish effect. Obviously, if someone wants a very straight cylindric effect, then it's better to not only use particles. Maybe have an outer modeled cylinder with a texture effect and particles in the center or such, that could look great. Anyways, here are some very simple purely particle based examples.