Let's see how many polies we can push in AGK

Started by GaborD, June 09, 2019, 04:05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

While it looks mesmerizing for a "fuse flame" it should be way way faster (the gas is "bursting" out). The current effect suits more for some kind of "torch".

particle count could of course be way way lower  - for "Maze Raider" (toonish fire effect) I had 10-20 particles per flame (textured then of course) ;-)

bye
Ron

GaborD

People can set it as fast as they want :)
The system is quite flexible, you could do anything. Manually make it thinner by reducing the emitter radius before it gets turned off, play with lifespan variance, whatever. Here is one with faster speed, less and bigger particles. Has almost no performance impact. The effect's set particle budget supports 16 of them simultaniously at these settings (having more than one would not increase particle handling time, only the rendering would be a tad slower with more on screen)

If you look at it zoomed in, it produces nice shapes without the individual particles being too obvious. So far so good. Let the further tweaking commence!

iWasAdam

Dabz

Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Qube

That looks like me going to the toilet in the morning :))

I expect more from you with shader work so how about some extra effects outside of the main thrust to give it that more realistic look, especially with the classic 32768 tris? ;D - Just messing of course. How many pixels is that pushing as it look like a lot :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Qube is right...the end effect needs to mix stuff...
So some sparkles here and there for extra realism.

Bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

Put a nice shiny SpaceX Starship on top of it.  8)

GaborD

:) Yep I should start doing real demos, just need more free time.

I did however improve some things, added more advanced options and improved performance for mid to relatively high particle counts so that those effects can be used for games (even if sparingly).

col

https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Qube

Looks really cool and detailed :)

QuoteI did however improve some things, added more advanced options and improved performance for mid to relatively high particle counts so that those effects can be used for games (even if sparingly).
I may be way behind the times but can effects with tri's of 524000+ be used in games real-time these days? :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

The actual triangle count is kinda misleading considering tricks like instancing, supersmall tris and very leightweight shaders. It all depends.
That said, I am not advocating for people to be wasteful and spam every area full of high poly effects.  ;D

RemiD

very nice !  8) congrats

i have tried to achieve the same "symbol emitting fire" effect using particles, in blitz3d, and then using "rectangle meshes" + animated textures

i am so old school lol