Let's see how many polies we can push in AGK

Started by GaborD, June 09, 2019, 04:05:25

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

Let's push some polies in AGK.
Simple custom particle system setup, aimed at high speed and nothing else. Wanted to see how high we can get before the GPU gives up. Turns out, pretty high.

Very straightforward circle, box and sphere emitters into an animated noise field.
Particles use a simple dot as texture and are additive blended. They also use a gradient for lifetime-coloring and scale in and out smoothly.

edit:
To be perfectly clear: To do this you have to be able to write a shader. There. I said the evil S-word.

GTX 1070
1 million particles:

4 million particles:

GaborD

16 million particles. Just because we can.

1 million particles:

256 thousand particles:

Speed holds up really well unless going total bananas with particle counts. I mean.. 16 million is a tad much.

col

Hiya GaborD,

Particles always make for impressive effects, and these screenies don't fail to impress. It would be awesome to see it in motion  ;)

To give further justice to AGK I think it would be a good idea to also share the source code used? Oh and don't forget your hardware specs too - they play a huge factor in performance stats.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Qube

Very impressive stuff and looks spectacular :)

Not to take away from your work and I hate to bring this up as I love your work and AGK but this is shaders at work and nothing to do with the power of AGK. Sure you tell AGK what the shader code is and off it goes but the runtime of AGK has a tiny job to do compared to the shaders / GPU.

QuoteIf anyone tells me AGK can't render a lot of polies, I'll smack them with a dead fish.
Then smack me as AGK can't do this without shaders. Sure AGK has shader support but AGK does not have the speed to do this and this output is really nothing to do with AGK's engine as the shader code is GPU driven. For example you couldn't interact with these particles via AGK without a super huge frame rate drop to practically zero. Say, have a character walk through the fire and have an effect on it ( coded in AGK script and not all shader based )

QuoteAnd, just to be crazy, 16 Million particles. Try that in Unity
Are you saying that Unity ( or others ) can't run shaders faster than AGK. Are you saying that AGK has some magic that makes direct access to the GPU faster via AGK?

QuoteDing dong, 4 million particles. Well, not really fast enough for action games, but usable for demo stuff or cinematic experiences, lol.
Can you imagine when we get to the point where 4 million particles per effect in realtime are possible in games :o. We're just seeing the birth of real time raytracing and even though it's not the whole scene being raytraced it's great to see that tech has finally reached a point to bring that side into realtime.

Sorry for the whinge and not to take away from your work which is highly impressive but this isn't AGK's ability but more your personal skill with shaders. To put the praise on AGK is just wrong and injustice to yourself as I bet with your skill you could achieve this in any shader enabled language.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

I agree  Cube. And it will have the same effect like the art that he produced at first. Inexperienced devs believe that their will be able to achieve the same visuals like Unity and Inreal. Easily and out of the box. And that is simply not true.

Qube

Quote from: MikeHart on June 09, 2019, 06:38:18
I agree  Cube. And it will have the same effect like the art that he produced at first. Inexperienced devs believe that their will be able to achieve the same visuals like Unity and Inreal. Easily and out of the box. And that is simply not true.
The AGK Studio showcase video was superb, really top notch AAA stuff. I have no gripe with GaborD and his talent in achieving that. For that side it was that AGK can't produce that with its built in command set, it's misleading. Sure AGK has shaders but that's no different to using inline C++ or assembler and for me thats not AGK specific.

I can't stress enough that the work that GaborD does is awe inspiring and way beyond anything I can do. It's just that saying your highly skilled shader work is specific to a language does my nut in :P - Sorry, but I'm anal in that regard. If there is something with AGK shaders that others can't do then let me know and I'll hang my head in shame but from what I can see so far it's all down to your shader talent rather than AGK specific.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Quote from: Qube on June 09, 2019, 06:57:38
The AGK Studio showcase video was superb, really top notch AAA stuff. I have no gripe with GaborD and his talent in achieving that. For that side it was that AGK can't produce that with its built in command set, it's misleading. Sure AGK has shaders but that's no different to using inline C++ or assembler and for me thats not AGK specific.

I can't stress enough that the work that GaborD does is awe inspiring and way beyond anything I can do. It's just that saying your highly skilled shader work is specific to a language does my nut in :P - Sorry, but I'm anal in that regard. If there is something with AGK shaders that others can't do then let me know and I'll hang my head in shame but from what I can see so far it's all down to your shader talent rather than AGK specific.

No critics of his skillset from my side either. Top notch definitely!

GaborD

Yeah, but what's the solution? 
We can't post any cool screens anymore because some "I don't want to put any effort into game dev" guys could misinterpret it?
The thread I posted those PBR ones in said quite clearly what they were and further down even what they were originally developed for. So not only would they have to be uninformed but also too lazy to read. Why should we even care what someone like that thinks about any engine?
In any case I made it more clear in the OP of this thread.

Maybe I am just too old, but I don't get this new 0skill 0effort gamedev thing. I just don't get it.
When has putting some effort in become a negative thing we have to hide?

Naughty Alien

Yeah, but what's the solution? 

..i sense, gimme da codez.. hehehe

GaborD

Quote from: col on June 09, 2019, 04:54:23
Particles always make for impressive effects, and these screenies don't fail to impress. It would be awesome to see it in motion  ;)

Sure, no problem:

col

Thats awesome  8)
Are the particles updated using compute or a pixel shader?
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

GaborD

Quote from: col on June 09, 2019, 09:41:30
Thats awesome  8)
Are the particles updated using compute or a pixel shader?

Standard pixel shader (don't think you can access compute shaders in AGK), which makes this even more fun to do.

Here is another vid with a sphere emitter:

MikeHart

Quote from: GaborD on June 09, 2019, 08:51:34

Noooo, do whatever you like. My critics are towards TGC and how they presents AGKS. There are people on Steam thinking that AGKS is the next Unity and with the new editor and how it is displayed, they think it is a non coding solution.

Naughty Alien

..i think you misunderstood what people saying.. far as i can tell, your work is well respected and more than welcome..what was portrayed actually is situation, where such work is used for, so called, false advertising, where, army of Unity refugees, sees AGK as a holly grail of next gen game development, based on impression that, work you have been done, is trivial to achieve, which is obviously not..so it has nothing to do with your effort or skills, which are really really wonderful...thats the way i see it anyway..

iWasAdam

Yep, definitely waves of respect coming your way.  ;D

I do think that these examples are (in some ways) what can be done with shaders, rather than what can be done with AGK.

Also people might criticise because these are more 'tech' demo's and not things you would really do with a game or 'working' code. <- more than likely as you would need to know the shaders inside out, to get anywhere with them?

There is always a huge disconnect form what the technology and do, and what 'I' can do. GPU's are racing ahead and most of use are still wondering how to put a triangle onscreen - hehehehe

Personally I love the particles. There is something very organic about having millions of particles on screen at a time :)