A nameless Sprite editor inspired by the one in pico8

Started by Pakz, June 08, 2019, 14:10:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakz

I started working on a Sprite editor a couple of days ago. I have based it on the pico8 sprite editor. It has no save or import feature at the moment. It does export the current sprite to the clipboard buffer as a monkey2 array of arrays(c key)

The sprites at the moment have 16 possible colors which are the c64 palette. 8x8 in dimension. There are 4x*40 sprites possible.

There are a bunch of tools for editing. A map editor is also present.

https://cromdesi.home.xs4all.nl/emscripten/spriteeditor/Untitled1.html

Currently I stil need to update the selection tool to work with negative selections. Other quirks might also still be present.

On my github the sourcecode(monkey2) can be found. (user pakz001)

I have no idea how far I wil go with this editor. I wrote down several ideas in the code. I mainly want to use it to copy sprite data into my monkey2 projects.

Note that the emscripten version has no copy to clipboard option.

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pakz

Nice!

I actually was copying a tileset from one of the 8 bit competition games posted here. This made me increase the amount of possible sprite slots since they fill up quickly.

markcwm

I made a lizard man. It looks a bit like a Euro symbol. :)

Qube

@therevills - I was thinking of something witty to say but for an 8x8 sprite that's pretty impressive.... twat ;D my brick was way more impressive
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

great work :)

I went for a sprite block of 256 arranged in 16x16 in mine

Pakz

I want to add 16x16 and 32x32 dimensions later on. I think I set it up in the code so that it should be easy to switch. I use a different canvas and image for every sprite. Then a additional array for each sprite to store the color codes.

I went and started a little bit unprepared and the creation of hundreds of images and canvasses can take a little bit of time. Also the monkey default memory of emscripten was not enough and I had to double it to 128mb.

I want to look if I can make it work on the tablet also. But the itch version of monkey can give errors if you reload it on mobile devices breaking it actually.