May 31, 2020, 08:28:26 PM

Author Topic: BlitzMax VSCode extension  (Read 3309 times)

Offline LT

Re: BlitzMax VSCode extension
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 07:00:40 AM »
Derron, in another thread, also told me about it.  Left that part out.
I don't have time to experiment right now, but later I might like to take a look and was unaware of where to find it.
Yeah, I made the mistake of looking at the BMX github because I forgot about Brucey's other repository.

Thanks for the link, though.  At least you didn't just tell me to Google it.

Offline Hezkore

• Juicy 🍑
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »
The link posted by Skaven is the correct one.
You'll have to "compile" (transpile I guess) it yourself, which is super easy but understandable confusing if you're new to VSCode.
Some related info can be found here: https://code.visualstudio.com/api/get-started/your-first-extension
The goal is to eventually integrate it into my extension, and at that point it should "just work".
But I'm working on documentations right now, so it's not something you'll see happen anytime soon.
Keep it simple. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode

Offline Lavalamp

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »
Hi, can we have the default BlitzMax colour theme please?

Offline Hezkore

• Juicy 🍑
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 03:49:57 AM »
Hi, can we have the default BlitzMax colour theme please?

I don't really have time to manage a theme extension for VSCode. :(
Most of my free time is already taken up by this extension.

But there are thousands of themes available for VSCode!
And you should definitely try searching for a theme that suites you.
Just jump over to the 'Extensions' tab (Ctrl Shift X on Windows) and type @category:themes
You'll get a long list of all the themes available, and one is bound to be in your taste.
(here's an online view)

Alternatively you could make your own theme extension.
More info about that can be found here:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/getstarted/themes#_creating-your-own-color-theme
Keep it simple. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode

Offline Yellownakji

• No.
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2020, 06:01:39 AM »
How do you create a 'solution' or 'project' in VSCode, in the way BLide does?  I usually stray away from Microsoft stuff, so this is new to me;  Loooong time user of BLide, so it's really annoying how VSCode makes me set my NG preferences each time I open a file.   I'm using the x86 version of NG, and by default VSCode targets x64.

Secondly, can VSCode embed an Icon/Meta into the project, like BLide?  Or is it one of those painful Macintosh situations where I need a 'post' script....

Digging the red theme in VSCode, as well as the mini-map in the top right that shows the whole source as you scroll, but I really need a 'solution' to making a solution/project.  :P :-X

Offline Hezkore

• Juicy 🍑
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »
How do you create a 'solution' or 'project' in VSCode, in the way BLide does?  I usually stray away from Microsoft stuff, so this is new to me;  Loooong time user of BLide, so it's really annoying how VSCode makes me set my NG preferences each time I open a file.   I'm using the x86 version of NG, and by default VSCode targets x64.
There's so much VSCode can do to help you manage your project, I couldn't possibly tell you everything here.
I would instead recommend that you read through some of the "Get Started" help for VSCode:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs

What I can say though is that VSCode is made for very large projects.
Projects that span across multiple computers with different architectures, hard drives, networks and operative systems.
Things that MaxIDE and BLide could only dream of.

But because of that; VSCode isn't the best when it comes to just opening a single file.
So what you'll want to do is select "Open Folder...".
VSCode will then threat that folder as your very simple "workspace" and save any related settings in the new ".vscode" folder.
You can at that point configure VSCode to act, look or behave in a certain way just for that workspace.
For example; the simplest thing would be to just select which '.bmx' file to use as the main entry point when compiling.
You could also do things like use a special custom version of BlitzMax.
Or just use a different VSCode theme when working in that folder.
So always selecting "Open Folder..." is probably best for new users.

There's also a more advanced workspace called a "multi-root workspace".
This would create an actual ".code-workspace" file.
(pro tip: if there's a .code-workspace file in a folder; then "Open Folder..." will still open the .code-workspace file)
This more advanced workspace will allow you to grab source folders from many different locations.
But the "downside" is that you might have to start working with the task system, because VSCode won't know what to do with your new huge project.
The task system is great and I strongly recommend that you learn how to use it, instead of relying on the extensions default task.
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/tasks
For example; you could have a server and client as two separate projects in a multi-root workspace and have VSCode compile the server and client, then fire up the server for you, then start the client and connect to the server.
Or perhaps you're working a BlitzMax module while also working on a game that uses that module.
You could then use a mutli-root workspace to easily edit both projects and then configure a task to move the module into BlitzMax's "mod" folder, then compile the game and eventually run the game as well.

Secondly, can VSCode embed an Icon/Meta into the project, like BLide?  Or is it one of those painful Macintosh situations where I need a 'post' script....
I'm not sure exactly how BlitzMax NG handles icons on Mac.
On Windows I know you place an ".ico" with the same name in your folder.
So I'm afraid you might have to use some sort of black magic on Mac.
However, if there is a reliable way to do it on Mac that Brucey endorses; I could integrate that into the extension.

Digging the red theme in VSCode, as well as the mini-map in the top right that shows the whole source as you scroll, but I really need a 'solution' to making a solution/project.  :P :-X
I'm glad you've found a theme you enjoy. :)
Remember that there are several thousands of themes, and that you can customize things like how the mini-map looks to suite you even better!
Dig through those settings, and remember that you can configure VSCode globally, or for your current folder/workspace.
Keep it simple. 🚀
GitHub
BlitzMax for VSCode

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal