June 18, 2019, 07:15:10 PM

Author Topic: BlitzMax VSCode extension  (Read 295 times)

Offline Hezkore

BlitzMax VSCode extension
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:38:43 PM »
Current Version Changelog: Read on Marketplace

BlitzMax extension for Visual Studio Code.
Build and code your BlitzMax applications in VSCode.
Both the extension and VSCode are free, easy to use and install.

Installation is easy.
Just open a '.bmx' file and VSCode will guide you through installing the extension.
You can also manually install it via the marketplace: marketplace-hezkore.blitzmax
Or fork it on GitHub: vscode-blitzmax-support

Features
  • Syntax Highlighting (One Monokai Theme)
  • Build Tasks
  • Problem Detection
  • Snippets
  • Quick Build Buttons
  • Guided Install

Offline Hezkore

Re: BlitzMax in VSCode
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
Missing/Planned Features
Known Issues
  • Build Tasks should not launch the application by VSCode standards.

I'll probably never be able to implement proper debugging and other similar things.
So I'm asking YOU to head over to GitHub, fork the extension, and help this project grow!
GitHub Link: Hezkore/vscode-blitzmax-support

Offline fielder

Re: BlitzMax in VSCode (New 1.1.0 release)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »
The new 1.1.0 update lets you easily build stuff, without having to mess with any json files.
Just hit Ctrl + Shift + B and select how you want to build. :)
Great Job!

Offline Hezkore

Re: BlitzMax VSCode extension
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
Thanks!

I'm hoping someone with actual VSCode knowledge can help me out sooner or later heh.
I've not used VSCode all that much, and I've never written anything in TypeScript (nor JS) before.
But I feel like this could be something really great if we keep working on it!

In the meantime; I'll keep adding smaller features.
I've added a right click menu option for files, so that you can easily lock them as the build file.
And you can now just press F5 to quickly build your application.

Offline fielder

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »
Thanks!
i think that a small youtube video about creating the workspace/project and an Hello word application can be a nice starting point to use VSCode.

Offline Hezkore

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:41:41 AM »
So, when I started work on this extension; I wanted it to behave according to the 'rules' of VSCode - to follow it's standards.
I also didn't want to stray too far away from something like BLide or MaxIDE and maybe alienate some people.
But something that VSCode sort of requires is a "workspace", which might sound like a hassle and a lot to setup.
But it doesn't have to be much more than a simple folder, where VSCode will create its '.vscode' sub-folder containing your settings.

So really; once you start VSCode, all you have to do is go to 'File > Open Folder...' and select any folder you'd like to work in.
It can be an empty folder, or a folder containing something you're already working on.
Then the 'Explorer' in VSCode will show that folder and let you open or create new '.bmx' files.
And then you're done!

You can hit 'F5' to do a quick build and execute the application.
(will be replaced with proper debugging in the future... hopefully)
Or you can 'Ctrl + Shift + B' for more build tasks.
You can also right click any '.bmx' tab you've got open and lock the build file, so when you build; that file is the one being built.
(instead of the one currently viewed)
And all of these little settings and configurations are saved in your '.vscode' folder that VSCode automatically creates for you when needed.
Which you can manually edit by just opening the files in it, or just hop into VSCode settings and edit.
BlitzMax has its own section in settings with some basic options.
And there's a toggle in the settings panel for 'User' or 'Workspace', which lets you either keep the settings permanently or just for this workspace.

Give me a shout if there's any confusion.

Offline Hezkore

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
To avoid any confusion; here's how your very first BlitzMax project in VSCode might be setup.
It assumes you don't have the BlitzMax extension installed, nor configured.
If you DO have the extension installed; all you have to do is create a folder, a file and hit F5.

You now have a workspace setup and ready to use!
VSCode will store all your settings and tasks inside a '.vscode' folder for you.
You don't have to worry about any of that though, the extension does it all for you.

Some Workspace related things: