June 18, 2019, 07:16:10 PM

Author Topic: Blender 2.8 UI Changes and improvements.  (Read 154 times)

Online Amon.

• What? There's no ceiling outside?
    • Amon.Pro
Blender 2.8 UI Changes and improvements.
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:03:10 PM »
I just downloaded Blender 2.8 beta. I have to say one thing; this is how it should have been from the beginning. The UI is brilliant and I know, thanks to the icons, where to find everything. It is such a vast improvement that all my 3D work is now going to be done in Blender 2.8.
Well done to the Blender crew for the UI fix. It finally resembles industry standards (icon wise) and everything is accesable via easy to navigate left/right click menus.
That's all. :)
Windows 10 Pro - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GEFORCE RTX 2070 8GB - AMD RYZEN 7 8 CORE - WATERCOOLING.

Offline Derron

Re: Blender 2.8 UI Changes and improvements.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
I think I am too used to the old interface to enjoy the 2.8 series for now.

Always gone back to 2.79 as I was not able to find some "not that regularily used" elements. Icons are for _beginners_ who need visualized help - I prefer texts as I know "what I am looking for" but not necessarily share the same "visual idea" with the icon designers.

Also 2.8 requires more GPU if you want to use the visual "sugar". On my active-cooled GPU this means the fans start to rotate which results in some noise I do not like (prefer a silent computer if doing some "modelling"). Not a fault of the devs though ;-)

It might attract more people now - but it's more to attract the masses and maybe so also the "mouse driven" creativity crowd instead of nerdy efficiency monsters (using shortcuts with their "other" hand and drawing with the main hand and a mouse/pen).

They (and other 3D suites) ALWAYS will have the problem of exposing or hiding complex stuff - somewhen you just NEED to access and modify certain values. This results in Blender having a load of tabbers and sub-panels etc. - to define params of a hair / particle system.
Dunno how to do differently but I can imagine how that puts off beginners.

If you ignore the UI changes you still get the (imho) best and almost most simply shortcut driven 3D editor for free. Select, g-rab, s-cale, r-otate.
Render quality should be more than most of us need (as our skill limits, not the renderer ;-)).

bye
Ron

Offline Rick Nasher

Re: Blender 2.8 UI Changes and improvements.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
I really used to like Google SketchUp for it enabled me to do a complete mockup (without any prior knowledge, very intuitive) of my companies building, inside and outside, in just 2 evenings! Staircases and elevator shafts included.

Shame it was so sloppy that the resulting model was really hard to export to B3D, not to mention the horrific pipeline I had to go through.

I'll have to try the new version of Blender and SketchUp to see if things changed for better or worse.