Github sponsoring - first 5.000$ are doubled

Started by Derron, May 23, 2019, 11:59:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Github just announced a sponsoring programme...

https://github.blog/2019-05-23-announcing-github-sponsors-a-new-way-to-contribute-to-open-source/

The first 5.000 dollar of sponsoring a developer receives will get doubled for free. Also there are no fees.
Think this is a good chance to spend some bucks for your favorite projects / developers (like our beloved Brucey for the wonderful works with keeping up BlitzMax alive).

I registered now for their waiting list ... let's see how it develops.

bye
Ron

Pakz

How are the payments/receivements dealt with? Paypal? For patreon you need a creditcard, which cost you a yearly fee to have.

I am sure I am not going to go into a long term big project to be able to earn some money with that, but it is nice that the possibilities are getting better out there.

MikeHart

Quote from: Pakz on May 25, 2019, 06:01:29
How are the payments/receivements dealt with? Paypal? For patreon you need a creditcard, which cost you a yearly fee to have.

I am sure I am not going to go into a long term big project to be able to earn some money with that, but it is nice that the possibilities are getting better out there.

Mmh, I use Paypal in both ways.

Derron

With paypal @ patreon you seem to still have a credit card added to your paypal account.
I for example had my last credit card about 3 years ago. Most payments I do are via paypal (and this means via bank account then) or straight sepa/bank account via giro card (former EC card).
Am too few in foreign countries not accepting Euros so there was no need to have one.

Know also a lot of people who do not have a credit card - they could not help me via patreon then? think that is ... an artificial limitation I do not really like. Assume it has to do with the "monthly" sponsorship.

Hope github sponsoring is easier to handle - think especially with non-recurring sponsoring / "one time payment" things are easier.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Quote from: Derron on May 25, 2019, 09:37:52
With paypal @ patreon you seem to still have a credit card added to your paypal account.
Nope, bank account only.

Derron

The sponsors project left the beta.

So I now tried it out - and started sponsoring Brucey - for his BlitzMax NG projects, the modules and so on.

Payment can be done with credit card - or paypal (what I used for my "test" - and it connected to my bank account). Let's see if github really doubles the sponsored amount of money.

Means: if you are an NG user, consider sponsoring $1 (which means he receives $2).
https://github.com/sponsors/woollybah

Maybe you know of others worthy to receive some sponsors - so maybe it is something of interest for MikeHart (Cerberus-X) ?

bye
Ron

Kryzon

Quote from: Pakz on May 25, 2019, 06:01:29For patreon you need a creditcard, which cost you a yearly fee to have.
If your credit card comes from a checking account, it's the account that has the yearly fee ("bank charges").   
I have a credit card with no yearly fee. I wouldn't have it any other way. I can make online purchases on foreign websites etc. and only have to pay the credit card bill (i.e the cost of the things you bought), with no hidden charges. 

You should look for fintech companies in your country that offer a credit card with no yearly fee under the Visa or Mastercard platforms.

MikeHart

Ron, this is old news to me and i got accepted about 4 weeks ago. But yes, thank you for thinking about me.

Derron

Yes, I was "off the waitlist" on 5th september too - but did not bother setting up stuff to get sponsored. I wanted to join the list because I thought am able to sponsor others then (so I give 10 and they receive 20 for a year). Cannot imagine others to sponsor me for creating a handful of games.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Never underestimate your userbase. Even just one Person can make a difference.

Derron

Think as a Germany located user you know about the legal difficulties "sponsoring" or "donations" can have (eg we are not allowed to accept "Donations" in the legal sense: "Spenden" - as you need to be a "eV" for it). Also this potentially makes products "commercial" (depending on the declaration of the sponsoring/donation). Commercial products can be sued by competitors more easily than some private project (@others excuse the German: Supermarktbetreiber kann Supermarktbetreiber abmahnen, Privatperson kann keine Supermarktbetreiber abmahnen, er muss dafuer zum Verbraucherschutz). Maybe I am too afraid of it than I need but it might save a lot of time.

this is why I "sponsor" Brucey itself, not the NG project. So he should in the worst case only note it on his tax report. Sponsoring people might be more suitable - so "patreon" circumvents the issue of a commercial software just because someone sends you money as thanks for the tool/project/app.

bye
Ron