why upgrade to windows 10?

Started by markcwm, May 13, 2019, 02:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellownakji

Quote from: Xerra on May 16, 2019, 17:06:44
With Windows, I do have a licensed copy that I use with Parallels when I have to because some stuff I just can't use on the Mac. And I'm just going to have to completely agree with the original poster in stating that it is a fucking pile of bloated piece of malware attracting shite. I hate shit that forces endless adverts on you and hugs resources to the extent that using the machine is almost unusable - usually at key times. And the software updating is a bloody joke. MicroShite might think that people are pleased that they're constantly updating the product but what we're actually thinking is why didn't you get it right in the first place?

If I never had to use it again I could quite happily live with that but we're forced to endure because it's an industry standard. Probably why they get away with it :-(

This is exactly why i mentioned LTSC.  Microsoft included none of that and you can even uninstall Windows Defender.  No forced updates and even if you do update, you only are allowed to get security patches. LTSC blocks feature updates because it's a long term support channel, which is great.

Most Windows 10 ISOs are around 4GB, and LTSC clock in under 2GB;  It's great.  --  If you had to use Windows, this is the one you should get for modern machines.

I have a Windows 10 License, when i bought my MSI machine.  I choose not to use stock and i never will, ever again.

I professionally use LTSC 2019 and when i repair machines, and the client OKs for a refresh. i give my clients LTSC 2019.  Nobody should have to deal with bloat, ever.   never ever.

Henri

South-Korea is planning on replacing their current Window 7 machines to Linux after Microsoft support ends:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/south-korean-government-planning-linux-migration-as-windows-7-support-ends/

Personally this might be the route I'll go too. Although our company has adopted Windows 10 (being a US company and all), so I'll have to maintain a Windows environment at some level for development.

But Linux has come a long way, and is continually improving. For example, few years back, my USB-WiFi adapter didn't work out of the box and now it does. It's not easy for any desktop platform to support all the variety of devices on the market, if freedom of choice is allowed.

-Henri

- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Yellownakji

Quote from: Henri on May 18, 2019, 17:27:01
South-Korea is planning on replacing their current Window 7 machines to Linux after Microsoft support ends:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/south-korean-government-planning-linux-migration-as-windows-7-support-ends/

Personally this might be the route I'll go too. Although our company has adopted Windows 10 (being a US company and all), so I'll have to maintain a Windows environment at some level for development.

But Linux has come a long way, and is continually improving. For example, few years back, my USB-WiFi adapter didn't work out of the box and now it does. It's not easy for any desktop platform to support all the variety of devices on the market, if freedom of choice is allowed.

-Henri

The main gripe with Linux is it's dependency hell.  You need libraries for everything; Some have crap licenses. -  Distros make it harder to target a unified platform, so people just target Ubuntu-based and say 'Well, it works on Ubuntu and that's that".   It's also annoying that  you cannot embed meta and even an icon into a produced binary...  Linux is still very messy, even if you have a clean desktop environment like KDE or my favorite, cinnamon.  I think linux mint is great, but i enjoy development on a Windows much more.   BLide is Windows only, so for Blitzmax, it's definitely a deal breaker because MaxIDE is awful.  Does not even have tooltips.

Steve Elliott

There is no perfect OS.

For Server work Linux is solid, for the GUI user not so great at times - mostly, but it's just not as consistent like Windows or MacOS.  On Windows or MacOS everything just works without problems, on Linux sometimes you have problems that really shouldn't occur in 2019, at those times it feels like Windows XP so I've lost patience with it.  Promising, but a no from me.

The biggest problem with MacOS, is Apple.  Apple have to continually change everything - with no common sense behind some of those changes at times!  Despite that it's a very good system.  On Windows plus an obligatory Virus Checker it's a system hog.  But so much software runs on it.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MarkG

My primary desktop PC (my daily workstation) will always be limited to WinXP SP2 due to major AutoCAD 2000 add-ons which will never be updated. Plus, I just prefer XP to anything that came after (actually my all-time favorite OS is Win2K, but XP will do). My workstation has no wireless nor any internet connectivity (thus no AV or firewall), a decent PC for its time, now very fast and streamlined (with several similar PCs in storage).

When my online Win7 laptop died recently, I installed a dual-boot WinXP/current Linux Mint Cinnamon on my old Vista laptop, just for going online (and only in Linux). I use ClamTK for AV for checking Windows-based downloads before transferring to main PC (also double-check using Malwarebytes on the offline WinXP boot). It's been working really well. I have no need to go out and purchase a new Win10 laptop until my Blitz3D projects are far enough along to verify Win10 compatibility.

I'm pretty excited right now as I just purchased ($8.00 US) and printed the "Hands on Milkshape 3D" PDF, linked from the Milkshape website (it's great when these old program links still work). Also, I'm taking a 3D break at the moment and creating a small utility in BlitzPlus. Man, I still love BlitzBasic even if I've been "starting again" on my projects for years.

Every time I get down about it I run some of the demos that came with B3D and some others I've collected over the years, especially the cubewater demo included with the B3D Demo. I never understood why that water demo wasn't included in the full B3D demos, by far the most impressive.

It's like weight loss (which I've conquered about 80%), you just gotta keep getting back on the freaking horse. :)

Steve Elliott

Think pirated software isn't what should get promoted here in this or another way.

Bye
Ron

Yup, would get an instant ban from me.

Any software developer should be against using stolen software.

Yep SyntaxBomb can't be seen to be condoning software piracy.  A ban from me too.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

markcwm

Okay, well I'm not going to use pirated software (or admit to having it on a public forum) and I'd rather not get a bloated win10 if that's the only option for ordinary home users, I know it can all be sorted out I just don't want to waste the time on it so I'll stick with win8.1 and maybe win10 later or not.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I've learned a lot. It's nice to know some people are still using older os like winxp, I use it sometimes too but rarely, only when I need to use old software, for example I have a little slides/negatives scanner and the software for it only works in winxp.

Qube

I'd say everyone on here has used pirated software at one point or another. I know I was guilty in the Amiga days. However should any member share any links for pirated software of use this forum to share pirated software then that will result in a ban. I will also advise those that do use pirated software to refrain from stating they do as there is no excuse these days as there are so many alternative free open source variants.

In a nutshell please do not use these forums to justify the reason for using pirated software. Consider the slate clean but any further violations will result in a ban as I will not have this forum associated with such practices.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

RemiD

You don't need to use Bing, you can use Chrome.
for better "privacy" (nothing is perfect), i suggest to use the iron browser (moded chrome) or the epic browser (very good!)

imo hacking and piracy (2 different things) are sometimes necessary, 2 examples that i have encountered recently :
->i was not allowed to install a recent android os on my old tablet, and with my current android os i was not allowed to install an app from the play store, so i searched for an old / modded (pirated) apks... and it works.
->a device (access control system for a gate) that a client had, started to dysfunction, but the manufacturer did not want to repair the defective parts, they wanted to replace the whole system which costed a lot (too much). so with the help of an electronic engineer, i hacked the signal and reproduced the signal with arduino, then replaced the defective parts, which saved hundreds of EURs...

so when a company don't want to fix a bug / add a functionality / remove some unecessary limit, a combination of hacking / modding / piracy, is well appreciated ! (youtube now wants you to make you pay for being able to listen to a podcast / video with the screen off, wtf !)

Naughty Alien

..im wondering, how is considered a situation, where you 'observe' how other 'product' has been made and then you came with your version which basically has better performance than initially observed 'product'...for example, imagine that you take BLDC motor used for drones, then you disassemble it , and made your own version of it, but with much better efficiency, better bearing, quieter and two rotating shafts (coaxial)..but as i said, initial work is based on observing motor taken from other manufacturer (poles, number of paired coils/windings per coil, etc)..is this considered piracy, considering that final output is essentially totally different motor?

RemiD

what you describe is "reverse engineering" and copying / modifying an existing technology, and if it is protected by a patent and the modification / improvement is not significant enough, you would be most likely in legal trouble... (unless the technology is old enough / abandonned)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

Naughty Alien

..mm..reverse engineering i can agree in to some extend..im not sure about copy part as final product is completely different motor with much better performance, working voltage/current range, more poles, bigger rotor diameter and totally different set of bearings...i mean, final 'product' has basically, zero identical parts compared to 'observed' model at all..

Qube

@Naughty Alien what you are describing is as RemiD says "reverse engineering". You are gaining knowledge based on others often patented works. For the most part this is in law illegal but there are circumstances where it is not for example in certain countries you can reverse engineer softwares copy protection for personal backup purposes.

Taking apart something and learning how it works and then making a few tweaks is is not legal but what is really odd is that you can take a product and make slight changes to it and it is legal. It's a weird world and law is a very high minefield.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..i have disassembled bunch of motors prior to building one...every single motor disassembled has identical parts..literally...all BLDC's using same setup, exact setup..did they copy each other?

1) neodymium magnets fit on rotor
2) 3 phase coil on stator

Thats really all there is..everybody does it..every single motor i took apart has identical setup and in many cases identical number of parts placed identically ..i wasnt truly sure about bearing they use, so i checked it to see what kind of bearing is used, which indicated that cheapest one you could imagine is used, while in my case is used professional grade bearing from Bosch..

While you may be correct, i simply cant see where is patent here implemented as its literally nothing but standard BLDC motor with magnets at rotating stator(outside), while rotor is fixed with coils (3 phase)..there is no hall effect sensors or anything implemented inside but raw 3 phase coils credited to Tesla...I wrote this in several forums regarding BLDC for drones, and folks there doesnt seems to see an issue with building your own BLDC, which is basically Tesla's work..

Qube

I'm no patent expert but I would assume there is no patent on the basic principles of a motor. The knowledge of such a device is easily understood that I can't see which part could be applied to a patent.

So if you've come up with a tweak to the general design of a motor then I really can't see an issue. As said, I'm no expert but based on the common knowledge of a motor I highly doubt there is any patent relating to it.

Until the next time.