why upgrade to windows 10?

Started by markcwm, May 13, 2019, 02:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

plenatus

Indeed, but i mean the search in the startmenu.
That have nothing to do with chrome.
---> see pic

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

plenatus

There is no need to read it.
Type anything in the search field in the win10 taskbar.
Per default you see search results in the startmenu on the right side powered by bing.
And that have nothing to do with chrome or another browser

Steve Elliott

I never see anything from Bing, perhaps I've kicked it into touch early doors. We shouldn't have to fight our Operating Systems, sadly it seems we do.  My fave OS is Linux Mint right now, but some glitches still.  Windows 10 is very solid and runs AAA games but a system hog and need for slowing anti-virus software.  Mac OS is very nice but just seems to do things that are illogical and annoying - and an insatiable appetite for hardware upgrades.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteWindows 10 is very solid and runs AAA games but a system hog and need for slowing anti-virus software
I can still remember working in a computer shop in 2001 when the latest version of Norton Antivirus came out. Now that was a HUGE system hog with a very noticeable system slowdown. Luckily they fixed that in later years but that release was real bad.

QuoteMy fave OS is Linux Mint right now
It's funny as Linux is my least favourite desktop but as soon as someone mentions a server it's Linux all the way. The beauty of a Linux server is it's rock solid stability. Sure the latest versions of Windows Server are getting better for 24/7 operation but I'd pick Linux any day for such as task. I also prefer the instant remote command line access over a GUI for many jobs. It's odd how work / play varies in opinion.

QuoteMac OS is very nice
We have a winner \o/ :P - Been a big fan of MacOS since 2009. I think if Apple do something really dumb then I'll just go back to Windows but it'll have to be an ultra quiet desktop with no whizzy fans every time you do something.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Yellownakji

Quote from: markcwm on May 13, 2019, 02:46:08
The thing that stands out in this video is the spyware they installed (Telemetry). Well I like Windows but this is too much hassle, maybe I should just wait for a less bloated future Windows?

Sorry, I felt like venting a bit before I get a new windows (currently on win7).

So what tweaks did you make to win10? Did anybody find win8.1 better?

Should you use Windows 7 in 2019?

Pirate a copy of Windows 10 LTSC 2019.   Long Term Service Branch does not include any metro applications, nor does it have Cortana integration.   This is what i use.

If you want Windows 10 without even the first anniversary update or any of the later big patches, get LTSB (not LTSC) 2016.

Derron

Think pirated software isn't what should get promoted here in this or another way.

Bye
Ron

MikeHart

Quote from: Derron on May 16, 2019, 06:16:18
Think pirated software isn't what should get promoted here in this or another way.

Bye
Ron

Yup, would get an instant ban from me.
Any software developer should be against using stolen software.

Yellownakji

Quote from: MikeHart on May 16, 2019, 06:39:56
Quote from: Derron on May 16, 2019, 06:16:18

Bye
Ron

Yup, would get an instant ban from me.
Any software developer should be against using stolen software.

I only support the pirating of Microsoft products and sold open source mediums.   Ban me if you wish...

Derron

Quote from: Yellownakji on May 16, 2019, 11:47:32
I only support the pirating of Microsoft products and sold open source mediums.   Ban me if you wish...
I cannot and wouldn't ban.

Ok, so you tell me: it is ok to pirate MS products (Office, VS, Windows, ...) and you also "pirate" Open Source products which might be sold by teams to support their efforts while eg. compiling their products is allowed? So eg. Armory Paint.

And in the same forum you wrote to just have formed a company with some _employees_ you have? Hope all your products are real FOSS software, not that all others will pirate your stuff so you cannot pay your employees. Ah and if you are a service provider (eg designer) then I hope you do not mind if your contractors deny any design proposals but hand them over to some cheap students worker doing the job for 10% of your bill.

bye
Ron

Yellownakji

Quote from: Derron on May 16, 2019, 12:27:06
Quote from: Yellownakji on May 16, 2019, 11:47:32
I cannot and wouldn't ban.

Ok, so you tell me: it is ok to pirate MS products (Office, VS, Windows, ...) and you also "pirate" Open Source products which might be sold by teams to support their efforts while eg. compiling their products is allowed? So eg. Armory Paint.

And in the same forum you wrote to just have formed a company with some _employees_ you have? Hope all your products are real FOSS software, not that all others will pirate your stuff so you cannot pay your employees. Ah and if you are a service provider (eg designer) then I hope you do not mind if your contractors deny any design proposals but hand them over to some cheap students worker doing the job for 10% of your bill.

bye
Ron

Yes, i do pirate Windows.   Microsoft does not sell Enterprise/LTSC/P.O.S. to non-enterprise consumers and their definition of enterprise basically requires you to be Donald Trump.  Microsoft's products are genuine garbage, in 2019.   Their consumer and business builds for Windows, their pre-built hardware and tablets are junk.   I refuse to support anything microsoft dishes out, under Satya Nadella.  Their quality has plummeted, they're backdoored and 'as a service' is a joke.  -  I'm a ""basic"" consumer, to Microsoft and I use, and fully stand by the acquisition (at all costs) of, Windows 10 LTSC 2019.  No bloatware, no metro apps, no windows store, no cortana, no bloat background processes.   If you want Windows 10, it's the perfect version.  Want my money? Give it to consumers. (but oh wait, they don't even want enterprise to have it either.  They want to choke you with bloat, see.  You have to REALLY push for LTSC/LTSB and you just *might be considered) - I do know someone who  works at a company that has genuine LTSB 2016 and they're basically on Microsoft's shitlist, pardon my French.   They barely care to give them support; usually re-directing them to an Indian hotline and their actual "road-to-ltsb" was insanely slow and Microsoft pretty much held it off as long as possible. Their business practices don't deserve anyones wallet.

and yes, i also am perfectly fine with admitting to pirating office; Which isn't my fault to begin with.   When i went to university, they ONLY allowed Office.  I wasn't allowed to run LibreOffice in a VM, which is quite literally the same thing but open source.  Libre can read/write into/from MS documents and other varieties, but it was still not allowed for whatever reason.  Can you believe they require Windows too?  :)) - Parallels sure made some money for the MAC users in the classes. -  I personally have no need for Office anymore, so i haven't acquired it in a long while.

All our software is written by us; We've done contracted work but isn't our main department, nor did we approach.   If someone wishes to pirate our software and it's been uploaded, i'm not going to bother stopping them.  The more people that use a specific piece of software, the more it gets spread;  Just look a RARLab's WINRAR.

but yes, i'm not going to bother stopping them.  They most certainly won't get updates, if our software has that, or support without proof of purchase, of course. That's just how the modern world is. It happens.

And i'm sorry, of course everyone has their own opinion, but if something is open source, it should stay open and free.  I don't believe in selling open source, even with permission.  It should be limited to donations only.  Generally, i just blatantly steal the features i need, in imaging programs, by writing a paint.net plugin for them, which is my preferred editor, since you mentioned Armory Paint.  The scripting language is decent enough, so theres no reason to have bloaty photoshop or that weird gimp program.

Naughty Alien

..i dont think ban is necessary..hammering things, never fixed a thing, but break apart many..people have spoken and shared what they do or dont..unnecessary 'advertising' about piracy is happening right now by entering this sort of conversations...guy just said what he does and thats where it should end up..no need to teach anyone lesson about it, as everyone will do as he/she pleases, so lectures about piracy are not really necessary...im quite confident that almost all of us have had hands over some pirated piece of software at some point in time, and im sure that no angels lurking around here..

Derron

@ Naughty Alien
You have to differ between someone using stuff in private (and maybe in his teenager times while they now properly licence stuff) and someone who uses it for a living.

I am also more tolerating some kind of grey zone. Eg. Having licenced a version but using another one (licence English but use German) as this at least means you try to pay for what you are using.

If you did not pay but use it...then it is stealing (kind of).

Regarding advertising: I just meant that you should not leave such statements without clarification or arguing about legal issues.

@ office
If your university required Office then your course/subject was surely amongst those who paid for their students. In our university all MINT and economics (and sure more) course students were able to buy MS products for 0eur. There are special programmes offering a nearly unlimited palette of MS software (Windows, Visual Studio).

Office wasn't needed except for presentations in courses held by some doctorants. Thesis was always PDF ..so could be written in Latex or whatever you liked.
If they demanded a non free software you could sue them for equality.

@ Paint.net
Windows only... :-)

Krita is better imho but also more complec.

Bye
Ron

Yellownakji

Xerra

I don't have any pirated software on my computer and probably haven't in quite a while. In my younger days - particularly on the Amiga and C64 almost all of it was hooky. I even traded games and stuff back in those days. Even as a bulletin board operator in the mid 90's my system had a backdoor for close friends who could pick up pirate stuff. That was then, however, and this is now. I look at things a bit differently these days but one thing I'm never going to do is slam down on someone who does still use pirated software because I'm not a saint.

Nowadays I just take pride in actually paying to unlock software I actually use - especially if it's what I consider an acceptable price. Sure, I'll use a demo version for a long time if it costs too much but eventually a discount will become appealing and I'll take the plunge. I even have some products that I pay a yearly subscription for and updates are included in that - Snagit being a prime example. When you have an application that you pay a few quid for that's by a lone developer you often find that they really appreciate your support - even if it's just a few quid - and can't thank you enough. I've always liked that aspect of software purchases right back to the shareware days back in my youth.

With Windows, I do have a licensed copy that I use with Parallels when I have to because some stuff I just can't use on the Mac. And I'm just going to have to completely agree with the original poster in stating that it is a fucking pile of bloated piece of malware attracting shite. I hate shit that forces endless adverts on you and hugs resources to the extent that using the machine is almost unusable - usually at key times. And the software updating is a bloody joke. MicroShite might think that people are pleased that they're constantly updating the product but what we're actually thinking is why didn't you get it right in the first place?

If I never had to use it again I could quite happily live with that but we're forced to endure because it's an industry standard. Probably why they get away with it :-(

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/