why upgrade to windows 10?

Started by markcwm, May 13, 2019, 02:46:08

Previous topic - Next topic

markcwm

The thing that stands out in this video is the spyware they installed (Telemetry). Well I like Windows but this is too much hassle, maybe I should just wait for a less bloated future Windows?

Sorry, I felt like venting a bit before I get a new windows (currently on win7).

So what tweaks did you make to win10? Did anybody find win8.1 better?

Should you use Windows 7 in 2019?

Steve Elliott

It's in all American Operating Systems I'm sure.  The FBI won't let Apple get away with it either, because the idea is it combats terrorism (in the national interest).

That video also mentioned some plus points for Windows 10, like much better security and enabling the latest AAA games to run.

As for the in-built advertising tiles, those can be disabled.  One of the first things I did.

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

I think for spying a huge round of applause needs to go to Facebook. They've made millions of people freely add every aspect of their lives and then sold the data to "selected 3rd parties". Luckily I don't have a life and subsequently don't use Facebook :P

At one time you'd have a diary and write things in it and go mad if anyone else read it. These days you post even more thoughts and info on Facebook and get mad if others don't read it. Genius, pure genius!

Apple for example record every website I visit. I know this because my browsing history on my phone is the exact same as my iMac and the only way to do that is to upload the info to Apples servers and then download onto my iPhone.

It's just safe to assume that everything you do online is recorded and processed in one manner or the other. I think Windows will end up being totally free but Ad based and all this Windows 10 telemetry stuff is just the pre-test.

I'm waiting for the next big story about how VPN software also sends your data to xyz.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Yep, you simply cannot escape the fact that we are all consumers that are to be sold by Facebook, Microsoft, Apple or Amazon (and other companies).  You're being very naive if you think you can use a computer linked online and not be subject to this behavior.

Just chill, or not go near a computer.  I quite like computers and the internet, so I'm quite willing to play the game.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

markcwm

Well I don't mind so much if I know what the purpose is, but your OS spying on you is kind of unsettling. I wonder if Linux has to do this as well now.

Yes, I know you can tweak win10 but I've never enjoyed configuring windows so it puts me off. I've decided to go with win 8.1 and see how it goes, should be less hassle.

Facebook doesn't share your private details with 3rd parties as far as I know. They put up a disclaimer about it a few years ago. I think it works well as a viral news feed. I try not to write anything though as text can be so easily misinterpreted. These days it's mostly a hang out for the older generation, young uns are on instagram and twitter, etc.

Qube

QuoteFacebook doesn't share your private details with 3rd parties as far as I know.
Facebook have been caught out big time recently. They push this squeaky clean "We are here for you" image but they are far from it. Here's just one example of their data sharing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46618582
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

dawlane

Quote from: markcwm on May 14, 2019, 03:09:49
Well I don't mind so much if I know what the purpose is, but your OS spying on you is kind of unsettling. I wonder if Linux has to do this as well now.
I would say that depends on the distribution and what third-party applications that have been installed.

In general, a Linux distribution usually collects information on the hardware, the package installed and crash reports. And you can disable tracking in numerous ways.

The biggest offenders for tracking are the third-party applications, such as Google Chrome.

TomToad

------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Naughty Alien

...what i do is, use of 2 PC's..one is attached to internet with fake credentials, and another one i use for work is offline and not connected to internet at all..

plenatus

And the second one have win10?  What about updates? I know without internet you donĀ“t need so many updates.
I use my laptop for daily things and my pc for developing.But both are on internet

MikeHart

Running Win10 Pro now for a year. And I must admit, it feels great. Performance is great, it is easy to use. I my book the best windows so far.
Same at Work where we switch about 300 PCs to Win10.

plenatus

Agreed, except that i handle some changes after a fresh install.
No online search via cortana or bing in the taskbar/start.And some performance things.(and i hate the tiles)
But i like win 10 really much.

Steve Elliott

Bing and Cortana are optional, I have no desire to use either, as are the Apple equivalents.  I don't use them either.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

plenatus

Its not optional.For some things you need a registry entry.
something like this
There is not button to deactivate the automatic bing search
But i have for such things a registryhack.reg file ;)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
"AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
"BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000
"CortanaConsent"=dword:00000000

Steve Elliott

I'm constantly surprised that computer people use default settings.  You don't need to use Bing, you can use Chrome.  You don't need to have adverts, you can turn them off, quite easily.  My Windows, Mac and Linux systems work very similar (I have my favourite apps on the task bar at the bottom of the screen).  Very uncluttered and efficient, any software I don't need gets uninstalled - make the OS work the way you want!
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb