Something Tasty...

Started by iWasAdam, May 10, 2019, 06:46:44

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

yep - it's something that has been bothering me too. Lets just say that It's now in my view and I'm looking closely at the code...

ok, here's the first go with the jaggies:

and now the modified version with temporal blur applied (plus the post so it is using the same sort of setting as the first one):

It's not perfect, but I think it looks a whole lot better now :)
Plus it has a sort of occlusion effect that adds some very subtle shadows where objects meet - You can't quite see it here, but it is present

Derron

Think what you mean is "contact shadows".

Bye
Ron

iWasAdam

possibly - it becomes difficult to find the correct terms when you are making it up as you go along... :)

latest pic:

This is much more interesting as the cube is white and the base is grey.
But wait - that's not a white box? Yep - it's taking the base environment colors from the supplied background and using them with the lighting to give a variant of global illumination. When you spin the cube around, the lighting does change on the surfaces - this is the first step in activating the pbr :)

There's (almost) a photographic thing going on - completely unintentional...

iWasAdam

That was a nice trip...

iWasAdam

And something went wrong with the metal parameter... Guess who's keeping it in :)

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on July 06, 2019, 15:29:56
And something went wrong with the metal parameter... Guess who's keeping it in :)
Yeah, something went wrong there but in a very cool way. I'd definitely keep that error as an alternate feature ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

Thanks Qube - definitely being kept in :)

OK and now for the great reveal...  :o

This is the full Editor now with loading and saving. There is a single bitmap (the same one being used throughout this thread which is 256x256 pixels) and just a single material - the pbr is per material, and there can be many if wanted/needed.

The actual end result is made from 6 separate meshes:
- the angled back piece with the light vertical
- the brown upright buttress
- the green crate
- 2 red railings
- the floor
these are all combined into a single mesh preserving all settings/color/material allocation, etc. and the result being shown with post effects and shadows in OpenGL

This ends the proof of concept, base code and developments  ;D

And here's the full editor with the software render window being used and the same file reloaded:

It shows the new PBR tab, the single bitmap plus the sorting errors the software renderer suffers from

Derron

SHAME ON YOU !!!11eleven!
No real railings but faked ones -> billboards.

This is no 50s SciFi-Flick, this is gonna be the next xCom meets Trading Game meeting Faster Than Light!

Hope you now start coding on your planet game again. 'Nough of excoursion into "building my own 3d toolset) :-)

bye
Ron

Xerra

Yep, time to get back to the original game you were doing, Adam. Progress was looking great on that until you, erm, branched out :)
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

Branched out!  ;D
I wanted to create the entire universe... and the ships and the interiors...  :))

single loaded object instanced 6 times, no post, no pbr. Very little cpu hit, static 60fps!!!! YAY!!!!!

with post on and default settings:

fullscreen 1920x1200 static 60fps - looks lush!

Hmmm. maybe extend the center part, put generator/engine/tanks in the middle...?

Qube

Looking great, nice work indeed :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

minor adjustments being made. added ability to set color per model when drawn:

plus lots of minor things being tidied up and editor improvements. Also sorta looking into how best to deal with collisions and entity movement with a map - interesting stuff...

iWasAdam

playing around. thought I'd go for a dirty tiled subway look:

iWasAdam

Here's a 123 showing how a model is constructed and looks in wire, flat shade, etc with the final opengl

peteswansen

you must be a board wargamer as well as smart programmer!!