Something Tasty...

Started by iWasAdam, May 10, 2019, 06:46:44

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Yep noted about the pixel differences - it's because of the scaling of the controls - they will shrink/grow to fit and minor errors appear.

This is the window at is smallest allowed resolution - you can see how things get crushed together:

The left grid and triangle thing are shader tests and not bitmaps!  :o

the bottom two rows are:
animation frame and help

Derron

Regarding "Shrink" and "grow":
Add an "abbreviatedText" field to each button. If the normal text does not fit anymore into the button _and_ there is a "abbreviatedText" set, then use this instead. If this is not the case, fall back to ellipsis (the ... character).
Also do never go below a minimum "content padding" value - so the button label must always end 1 pixel before the border. Else it will look "cut".
Use the "padding definition" to include the extra stuff like a button icon (or the button-color-rectangle-thing).

Use a clipping rectangle ("Viewport") for your shader test - to avoid things being rendered somewhere where you do not want it to do (above "Create / Edit").

@ scaling issues
The problem is a 1px grid spacing. If you here and there double it to 2px then this is (as said) double the original width. So with a bigger intial spacing the visual "discrepance" is less visible.
You could even use smaller rectangles at all (and draw "magnified version" on hover centered on top).

@ splitter bar of the 4-views-part
Is it intentional that the vertical one crosses the horizontal one with borders (instead of "no border" for the center).

so much for now :-)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Got the lighting sorted and added a 3d base grid :)
plus all the color modifiers are now correct and functioning: (this shows vertex desaturate)

and just playing around with the color tools:

Derron

I have a special favor for gray-red gradients. yummy yet-to-forge iron in a toon world.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

hehehe - good to know :)

latest news is basic texture mapping added:

It's certainly not perfect - but at this stage it's good enough. next step will be to translate this into a fontmap and use coordinates for the texture.

There is a definite aim to my madness and it's one step closer now :)

ooh, and the same using vertex colors:

Derron

Somehow it looks "bend". Just follow thst white stripe...and it does look rotated a bit when the "top right" triangle begins... As if both tris are not planar to each other.

Bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep - it's to do with affine texture mapping. extremely difficult to correct with software render without a lot of math. At some stage the rendering will be pushed over to the gpu and texture warping will be removed automatically

iWasAdam

TaDa!  8)

Got the texture system operational - yep it's a bit unlike anything else out there - no unwrapping, no multitextures etc. just a spritefont.

To texture its a simple 2 part process:
- select the faces you want
- pick the bit of the font you want and press 'apply' - the current view is the one based for the application.

Here's the 3d view being used:

the first image is the actual view the texture was applied, the second showing the object from a slightly different view showing the texture from a different view

iWasAdam

Finished texture tab:

I've taken the color page, split it and added it to the texture page so it can be used there as well - this is in line with the way Rameses 1 did things

And here is a quick demo using 3 flat planes with different parts mapped and colored:

You could look at it another way:
different layers to a button - background - icon layer and foreground. all sandwiched together to create a 2d button in a 3d world.

Or possibly viewing separate game layers in 3d so you can see what is obscuring what, etc

or maybe separate parts of an animated character, that is created from an atlas font with the body parts?

iWasAdam

working on the create panel now:

UI and logic sorted - just need to do the code itself now

to be honest - the UI is very responsive and feels much nicer to use than the original Rameses one. I've also activated clipping in tthe views so no more lines and bits covering the other windows.

There are instant icons at the top and the two sections to create objects and grids - these will show the created object in the current view - hence having a cancel and create button :)

iWasAdam

ok, let's get into some modelling and coloring.

base objects are now present: cube, pyramid, etc. plus user controlled grid objects (up to 32x32).

Here is a simple 4x4 grid, with some triangle quads flipped, some vertex raised and lowered and some triangles extruded. All have then been colored either vertex or face
You get the top view so you can see the underlying grid and the 3d version. It's a sort of extreme example, but shows what can be done very quickly.

Rick Nasher

@Qube
QuoteHave you tried Cheetah3D - It's lightweight, fast work flow and has some nifty tools for modelling.

Darn, have to get myself a Mac now?  ;)
(I hate Blender too)

iWasAdam

Cheetah 3d does look a nice tool :)

Not much to say or show today. Working on the edit tab:

current available tools are:
- flip inside quad triangle orientation
- flip normals
- logically create a filled polygon given selected vertexes
- the same as above but with a center vertex

Finished the edit text control and begun to work on the object list with icons, etc :)

All in all it is coming along very well. simplifying some of the original concepts and really making everything work very fast and fluid.
I'm liking the overall look as well :)

iWasAdam

just something really quick and dirty (about a minute)   :o

Steve Elliott

I like the graphics style there, I wonder why that was produced.   ;)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb