Released a trial version of my project into the Wild.....

Started by 3DzForMe, May 07, 2019, 09:12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

on itch.io  ;D

https://gpsrunningdude.itch.io/gpsfunrunner/devlog/80016/gpsfunrunner-3d-trial-available page

Its a Garmin training device file comparator that allows comparison of two .tcx files.

Only works with Garmin product exported data (.tcx files) for now.... Considering allowing import of other formats in time....

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

You did not ask for design-oriented help but I try to give you some ideas - personal opinion based of course:

Add some drop shadows to the "spikes/bars". There seems to be no light, so just fake them: create a little image texture containing a circle (or quad) which fades out into full transparency (so kind of a gradient). You even might create it in a painting tool: draw your shape (or selection), add a drop shadow with no offset. Save this image and place this file below each bar (for bigger bars, bigger image scales). Orientation is the normal of the bars.
Keep the shadows "subtle" as in "crowded areas" (many bars) you will else recognize overlapping.

Your whole statistics text area on the right looks like ... a prototype. Give it some proper layout and structure. Do not use header images with colored text and white backgrounds. Also align texts properly. Do not use "spaces" to align your text - caption and value of your entries are separate "drawcommands". Align the captions below each other - and align values below each other.
Also play with colors a bit (eg tint captions a slight bit to separate values and captions visually).
Also your text looks a bit ... non-smooth. If you are not able to have anti-aliased ttf fonts, then render your fonts as bitmap fonts - use this then.
For now it looks like debug info or prototype text.

I am pretty sure that some love to the presentation will lead to more interest/attraction. And it is not hard to do that - 1 or 2 evenings and you should have a way better presented little tool.

Also spend some time to check how easy it would be to import GPX and other tracking formats - with Garmin being less and less used your potential audience is also shrinking.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

QuoteI am pretty sure that some love to the presentation will lead to more interest/attraction. And it is not hard to do that - 1 or 2 evenings and you should have a way better presented little tool.

Also spend some time to check how easy it would be to import GPX and other tracking formats - with Garmin being less and less used your potential audience is also shrinking.

Derron, thanks for the ffedback - really appreciated ;)

3DzForMe

@Derron:

QuoteI am pretty sure that some love to the presentation will lead to more interest/attraction. And it is not hard to do that - 1 or 2 evenings and you should have a way better presented little tool.

All this good advice has not yet been actioned upon - I'm sorry to say. Instead of addressing the points you raised - I've bought AGK studio with a view to creating a 'better' height profile of the training ride.

TBH, I've a job remembering how I done stuff - more focus, less provarication required me thinks ;)

Hmmm. Off out for a run with the dog.