Oculus Quest

Started by Qube, May 05, 2019, 23:39:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Quote from: therevills on May 21, 2019, 23:46:57
@Qube - have you got your Quest yet?
I do, I do, it arrived today \o/ - Didn't get to try it out for hours afterwards but it's really great. I went a bit nuts on grabbing a few games : Superhot, Drop Dead, Vader Immortal, Robo Recall, Sports Scramble, Creed and Racket Fury. I'm sure I'll "accidentally" buy some more tomorrow ;D

Superhot is really cool + dodging bullets and grabbing a pistol in mid air to shoot the enemies is really good fun. I think I'm going to get loads of enjoyment out of this game.

Also dived into playing Creed. Having a full on Rocky Bill Conti title tune got me buzzing and I got very active in game :P I began with just basic half arsed punches but ended up in a full on boxing stance, full on concentration and upper cuts to knock you to the moon :)) - Very nicely done game which I'm looking forward to playing the full career mode ( once my aching muscles have healed ).

I am very surprised with the Quest. It's has a great quality build and it's amazing what a standalone headset can output ( the visual quality is really great ). Hats off to Oculus and all the developers for delivering a day one experience with loads of content to play.

I love my Go but the 6DOF of the Quest + superb controllers is a whole new level and most of all no beefy PC, wires or eternal sensors required. Looking forward to playing the games in full rather than a quick play test.

Overall, very impressed considering the headset isn't super expensive. Highly recommend :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Qube enters..the Matrix  ;)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 22, 2019, 23:19:18
Qube enters..the Matrix  ;)
More like Qube pulls muscles he didn't even know he had - still suffering today after last night mad boxing session :P

Had a play on Robo Recall this afternoon. I think I'm going to really enjoy this one ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: Qube on May 22, 2019, 05:48:39
Overall, very impressed considering the headset isn't super expensive. Highly recommend :)

You're meant to say its crap and don't waste your money!!!  :P

How much space are you going thru on your 64GB? Also what are the cost of the games?

Qube

QuoteYou're meant to say its crap and don't waste your money!!!  :P
Sorry, it's crap and really bad quality :P but get one, it's awesome ;D

QuoteHow much space are you going thru on your 64GB? Also what are the cost of the games?
The games tend to range from a few hundred GB's MB's to around 2GB+ for the bigger titles. With all the games I've installed so far + a couple of free ones I've 36GB free and started off with 46GB free so I'm happy with the 64GB version.

The cost of the games also varies from free to £22.99. Some of the titles I bought were £10.99, £18.99 and £22.99. I think one was £14.99 too. More expensive than the Oculus Go of course but still cheaper than the £50+ console games.

Until the next time.

therevills

Thanks Qube, I'll be picking it up sooner or later :)

Also check out RiftCat, they have released an early version to stream SteamVR to the Quest!

https://support.riftcat.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005631080?mobile_site=true

Qube

QuoteThanks Qube, I'll be picking it up sooner or later :)
You defintely should, it's a great device and with the games I've played so far it well exceeded my expectations. Just shows you what can be done when you optimise for set hardware. Also the units build quality is top notch with really great visuals and great controllers which I've had zero tracking issues with so far. Overall it's amazing what they've done for a £399 device. Full 6DOF VR, integrated CPU / GPU, 2 OLED panels, 2 controllers, room scale realtime tracking, no external PC or lighthouse boxes required. Amazing when you think about it.

QuoteAlso check out RiftCat, they have released an early version to stream SteamVR to the Quest!
I have VRidge already as I used in on my Oculus Go. Over the weekend I'll give Start Trek Bridge Crew a go on the Quest. From what I've read so far and even at this early stage VRidge works really great with SteamVR games.

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Damn, just when I thought I'd all the tech I'd ever need, decent VR arrives with a great review and reasonable price tag  :o ;D ;D
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

Finished Vader Immortal : Episode I - Really good fun but a little short at around 40 minutes in total for the episode 1 story. Flew by as I was enjoying it so it seemed quicker.

It's an interactive story with you playing a character and you move, climb, interact with controls and use a lightsaber. Really good fun and professionally produced. Looking forward to episode 2 & 3.

VR Star Wars with Darth Vadar and lightsabers, what's not to like? ;D

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: Qube on May 28, 2019, 00:47:23
VR Star Wars with Darth Vadar and lightsabers, what's not to like? ;D

I've read lots of people like spending time in the lightsabre dojo.

Qube

Quote from: therevills on May 28, 2019, 01:09:15
I've read lots of people like spending time in the lightsabre dojo.
Yeah I've seen that too :) not tried it yet though but it looks fun.

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Looks like pretty good fun experience.

The company I used to work for also did tech support for Oculus (not my department), so I tried it once when they had a test setup on display for everyone to try, you know the rollercoaster experience thing.

I then tried Google VR on my Samsung Galaxy phone, which I found awesome and will never ever understand why phone makers don't create a universally compatible  VR controller set/config, using the many on board camera's newer phones have nowadays.

I think it could potentially render Oculus and the likes out of the market and for little or no money you'd have awesome VR gaming with a console you already have: your phone. My current and already 3 years old, S7 does 2560x1440, which isn't too bad for VR.

Qube

QuoteI then tried Google VR on my Samsung Galaxy phone, which I found awesome and will never ever understand why phone makers don't create a universally compatible  VR controller set/config, using the many on board camera's newer phones have nowadays.
The only mobile maker interested in VR is Samsung which did a couple of Samsung Gear VR headsets + controller. This is pretty much the same as the Oculus Go although the Oculus Go is visually better than the Gear VR headsets. Apple concentrated on Augmented Reality and seem to pretend VR doesn't exist.

QuoteI think it could potentially render Oculus and the likes out of the market and for little or no money you'd have awesome VR gaming with a console you already have: your phone. My current and already 3 years old, S7 does 2560x1440, which isn't too bad for VR.
Samsung did the Gear VR headset and controller for Samsung phones and it became pretty popular. Of course the Oculus Go came out which costs a fraction of a decent Samsung phone + Headset + Controller and it was also compatible with Gear VR games, had better visuals and didn't need a mobile phone.

The Oculus Quest is a big leap up from the Oculus Go and is still cheaper than a decent Samsung phone capable of VR and it has full 6 DOF, much better visuals and still doesn't require a phone ( except for the initial setup ).

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

QuoteThe Oculus Quest is a big leap up from the Oculus Go and is still cheaper than a decent Samsung phone capable of VR and it has full 6 DOF, much better visuals and still doesn't require a phone ( except for the initial setup ).

True, but we all still will need to buy a phone anyway, so why two separate devices if you can do with one universal super device?

I miss the time where smartphone makers where more innovative combining new and more features in every new release of their phones.
Instead seems they're taking away nice features such as swappable batteries, heaset-jacks, IR and FM radio.
On the other hand they're adding payment capabilities, bitcoin wallets, etc.

Still I think the future will bring 1 single universal device that incorporates more and more, like bodyscanners, blood/dna testers, holo-displays and stuff. Call it a "Tricorder" if you like.  ;D

BTW: I can do pretty decent 3d gaming on my phone with a snap on USB controller and stream to my large screen tv.
Appears Samsung was the only Android manufacturer that saw it had great potential.

They (android phone makers) should have agreed upon a common standard.
(Which reminds me of the MSX attempt of homecomputers to create a compatible platform while keeping their own brand/identity which horribly failed. Guess the industry remembers that debacle and will never try again. Lol )

Qube

QuoteTrue, but we all still will need to buy a phone anyway, so why two separate devices if you can do with one universal super device?
A cheap £20 Android phone would do the trick, assuming you don't own a mobile. I do think it's odd why they don't do it all in headset but I assume it makes the whole setup "easier" or just that Facebook want to link your headset to your phone, I dunno.

QuoteStill I think the future will bring 1 single universal device that incorporates more and more, like bodyscanners, blood/dna testers, holo-displays and stuff. Call it a "Tricorder" if you like.  ;D
Lol, yup, one company producing one comms device.

Until the next time.