my time / energy spent making video games : rather useless, but sometimes useful

Started by RemiD, May 05, 2019, 09:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

Hi, :)

Well, as you may know, i have spent a lot (too much) time / energy learning all the concepts and skills / tools to make video games (programming, drawing, modeling, rigging, skinning, animation, uvmaping, texturing, making sounds, using fonts, rendering 2D / 3D, loading/saving datas etc...) during the past (almost) 10years (!!!). And the return was really not worth it imo... unless you consider it as a hobby for the winter, but there are also others things to do...

But anyway, all that was not a waste of time / energy, since these days i use some of my programming knowledge to code for arduino, or to make usefull things in the real world.
For example, recently i have used Blitz3d to draw labels with text() and line(), also to automatically resize photos (for emails), also to debug an electric signal with colors (to identify patterns), also to replace some values in the properties of an electric signal, also to ouptut arduino lines of code using values that i had. So some of this knowledge / skills are sometimes useful in the real world, good, i appreciate it.

Anyway, that was a little rant. Good luck in your endeavors...

blinkok

I occupy a position in the business side of programming and the general option of game programmers in that arena is; "If they can program games, they can program anything"

RemiD

i will continue to (try to) make games in the winter months anyway, i am not really interested in snow / frost activities outdoor. ;D

GaborD

You have a point there, small indie games are risky business in the last years.

You could try to use your acquired game making skills for project work in the PR / promo area.
Would mostly be somewhat unchallenging stuff, but the skillset is a good match (often the projects are actually simple games or game-ish animated stuff) and it can pay really well.
Hope you find a good use for your skills!

Coder Apprentice

Time spent on problem solving is never wasted and creating games is a complex task.

Pfaber11

Hey Remid I'm the one you gave a dollar to on Itch.io site over a year ago.  I'm still going . not sold any since . Made a few more since then and got a web site and my stuff is way better than even I would of expected. Not perfect though .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

MrmediamanX

making game's tend's to keep the old grey matter active, in some case's I use game's as a form of interactive PSA.
I even come up with new techniques to this day .... very handy.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Steve Elliott

making game's tend's to keep the old grey matter active

I totally agree.  Solving logic problems, but also exercising your artistic side too is very beneficial for the mind as a whole I feel.  Plus when you complete a game you have a challenge to battle your on-screen foes that you have created, and a sense of achievement on completion of the project.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb