Easiest programming languages and game engines

Started by Pfaber11, May 04, 2019, 09:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Hi . Was just thinking what is the easiest system to learn . For me it's AGK2 . I guess it depends what software you're creating too. So far all my efforts have been small games although I don't see why AGK2 can't be used for other things too. I'm currently trying to learn python which seems harder but that might just be because I'm unfamiliar with it . I do remember when I first tried AGK2 and felt like a fish out of water. Glad those days are gone . According to steam I've now put in just over 400 hours into AGK2 and I'm feeling comfortable with it . Been using it 16 months now so averaging about an hour a day plus whatever I spend on doing my graphics . Not long really . Anyway which would you say is the easiest to learn. 
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

TomToad

------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Pfaber11

you know I just went and took a look at scratch . My 11 year old son would probably enjoy it. He likes going on ROBLOX and making games on there . In the not so distant future I'm hoping he'll get into AGK2 or AGK studio. still a bit young for it right now. Had a look at AGK studio and am I correct in thinking the graphics editor is for 2D and not 3D? Most of what I've done recently has been 3D . I guess the studio version would be nice just to get my paws on the vulken engine . 20% increase in efficiency would be most welcome . Mind you I suppose it would be  easier to buy a faster computer.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

MikeHart

Hehe. Funny that everybody is so hooked on the 20% framerate increase. And will be dissapointed when it isn't that case.

Steve Elliott

Hehe. Funny that everybody is so hooked on the 20% framerate increase. And will be dissapointed when it isn't that case.

But isn't AGK Studio 20% slower than AGK Classic?  So the same speed then.  Hehe  ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: MikeHart on May 04, 2019, 13:26:07
Up to 30% graphical increase, can't wait \o/ - Do the inbuilt 3D commands have the feature set to actually get those gains?. I doubt with it's basic 3D features we'll see more than a 5% increase in reality and that will probably only be in scenes with a lot of textures, lighting and shadows.

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 04, 2019, 14:01:33
But isn't AGK Studio 20% slower than AGK Classic?  So the same speed then.  Hehe  ;D
lol, actually AGK classic has slower frame rate ( with vSync off ) than earlier versions. For example AGK 2018-07-12 is faster than the latest version of AGK classic :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Maybe they have implemented some kind of slowdown in classic to make the studio version magically be faster then.
They want to release it next month and so far no sign of it. Will it make it into the initial release? Grab your soda and some popcorn and enjoy the outcome.

Qube

Quote from: MikeHart on May 04, 2019, 16:07:53
Maybe they have implemented some kind of slowdown in classic to make the studio version magically be faster then.
That was my theory ;D

Quote from: MikeHart on May 04, 2019, 16:07:53
They want to release it next month and so far no sign of it. Will it make it into the initial release? Grab your soda and some popcorn and enjoy the outcome.
The latest version is Alpha 080 and that still has no sign of the Vulkan engine. Perhaps the next version will have something in for people to use. The main focus at the moment appears to be the IDE and scene editor. Not quite sure why the scene editor is priority as it should be 1) fix existing bugs, 2) decent IDE, 3) vulkan engine - I guess it's so their shiny new product has "something" new rather than just a new IDE.

It's a funny situation with AGK / AGK Studio at the moment as I've reported bugs on AGK Classic and get ignored because Studio is the primary focus. So I report the bug which is also present in Studio to be told "This not a studio issue but an AGK core issue".
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Quote from: Qube on May 04, 2019, 16:26:53
It's a funny situation with AGK / AGK Studio at the moment as I've reported bugs on AGK Classic and get ignored because Studio is the primary focus. So I report the bug which is also present in Studio to be told "This not a studio issue but an AGK core issue".
Didn't they say that no one should be worried, and that they will fix issues with classic? I had my doubts, but I guess it happens faster than I thought. Don't get me wrong, when there will be a major discount on steam, I might get Studiot. But only if it still supports Tier2 coding, so I can interface CX with it.
Right now I have no interest in Studio. But who the hell thought about coding the IDE in AGK is a great idea. No Unicode support, it will slowdown running apps, etc etc. With bigger code files, that is a disaster to be waiting.
They should have used a decent framework like QT and recoded the IDE in that instead.

Qube

QuoteDidn't they say that no one should be worried, and that they will fix issues with classic?
They have said that but this issue has been present for almost a year and is just ignored. I mentioned this AGAIN in the Studio forum and was told to try with "FPS Run" which made no difference and then got subsequently ignored.

For example, here is a FPS reading in my AGK based GUI with vSync off :

In AGK Classic version 2018-07-12 it runs at 586 FPS.

But in AGK Classic 2019-02-18 and the latest AGK Studio the frame rate drops by 140+ FPS :o

But it's not important as the new whizzy bang bang Vulkan engine will magically bring it back to the same speed as AGK version 2018-07-12 and we'll all go "Hurrah! well done TGC on the 25% speed increase :))

QuoteRight now I have no interest in Studio. But who the hell thought about coding the IDE in AGK is a great idea. No Unicode support, it will slowdown running apps, etc etc. With bigger code files, that is a disaster to be waiting. They should have used a decent framework like QT and recoded the IDE in that instead.
I think the reason is because they wanted the scene editor built into the IDE + all the media previews via the IDE. I have my worries too about stability of having an IDE written in a game engine but time will tell. If it's rock solid then OK but I suspect these "random" app quits are going to be a bane for Studio users. I don't use Studio yet ( early purchase for the cheap price ) and won't move over to it until it's released properly and actually has something in it to benefit me, like the reduced speed returning. I'm not interested in the scene editor but I assume as it's a priority that many others are?

Until the next time.

Pfaber11

Yes I'm not bothered about the scene editor either don't do much 2D these days and I don't think the editor works with 3D . I will wait until the dust settles and they have a sale then get AGK studio if the reports are good . If not I'll stick with AGK classic .
I asked my son about scratch and he's been using it for over a year . Says it's great . I watched a video on you tube last night and to be honest I prefer classic . Studio just looks too busy. I suppose once you've been using a couple of days it's ok . It would of suited me if they would of done a vulken upgrade for classic . Will it be ready for the tenth of June as stated will be another thing . The most I will pay for it is 40 quid or so so will be watching it on steam and waiting for it to go on sale . Anyway happy coding . And which is the easiest game engine to learn besides scratch. What do you guys use ? Hmm

MikeHart

@Pfaber1: There is no easiest or most difficult engine/language for me. They all share things and some have their own features. After 37 yrs of coding, I can savely say that all these different languages/engines are just tools. I use the one that fits a job the best.
For a new tool, I recomment... dig through its docs, try the examples, change them. Take small task and try to build a solution for these yourself, and then go bigger.

@Qube: I just read that a user Zigi requested its own forum for AGKs. Man, they don't learn from other communities. With BRL we went throught at least 3 new forums/places and always were the communities divided at least in half.

TGC now has the DB forums, AKG classic, AGK Studio, Github for issues, Discord as the new place to talk. Madness. And now users want their own place for AGKs. Seriously, I don't give their community a year before it is a ghost town.

plenatus

Qube

QuoteAnd which is the easiest game engine to learn besides scratch. What do you guys use ? Hmm
There is no "easiest" one. What I find easy, others may not. Most game creation engines are easy to get into but the hard part is creating a full complete game and not just a concept / tech demo. If you really want to hear an answer then AGK is the easiest one as it's based on BASIC, has descriptive keywords, no OOP to get lost in and no fancy language features.. Done ;D

Quote from: MikeHart on May 04, 2019, 21:00:41
@Qube: I just read that a user Zigi requested its own forum for AGKs. Man, they don't learn from other communities. With BRL we went throught at least 3 new forums/places and always were the communities divided at least in half.
Just saw that and posted about it. Lol, looks like we posted at the same time.

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Quote from: Qube on May 04, 2019, 21:20:58
Just saw that and posted about it. Lol, looks like we posted at the same time.
Yes, but mine has a different tone  ;D