One week at itch.io

Started by Derron, May 01, 2019, 22:25:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Attach the image to your post
Or
Upload to an image hoster and use the {img}url{/img} bbcode.

Bye
Ron

Pfaber11

Oh right I'll try it out wanted to share my experience itch.io.Thanks
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

There you go only small for some reason . At least I've got it sorted . thanks . As you can see not many downloads but there you go . I think if I could manage 800 downloads it would be amazing guess I've got to up my game . Just started a new project which should be ready by the end of the month or sooner . Will be another product on my site when it's finished . was planning to try and do a remake of Elite which was my favorite game on my BBC micro 35 years ago . where  does the time go . It's going to be a major project for me , an epic space adventure . I'll finish what I'm working on now and make a start on it . Should be ready in time for Christmas . Just hope my programming can do it justice .

iWasAdam

Don't be put off - be inspired.
Everything you do is one small step to make things better. Just think of it as learning something new. You might not get it today, but tomorrow...

Also, learn from things that didn't work. You might make something that you think is brilliant but is not well liked (for whatever unknown reason). Don't despair - you learnt from the journey. and in time you will possibly learn why it was not liked (or not).

I've got projects with 2 downloads.. and I thought they were brilliant!

Don't be afraid to ask something either. There are no wrong questions :)

Pfaber11

Yes I appreciate what you're saying . It's a little frustrating when you can't give your games away though let alone sell them. Would love to know what the ratio is for paid for games and free games on itch.io  . Was thinking of making some discs of my games and selling the whole collection on ebay for a couple of quid including postage and packing . Would make a quid off each sale . When I get a few more games together I might try this . Not much to lose can get the disks from the pound shop an envelope and a stamp and I'm in business. It's a plan .

blinkok

An interesting experiment might be to put the programming aside for a bit and concentrate on the marketing. Just to see if that can make a difference. Hit up a few gamer boards, that kind of thing

iWasAdam

Yep. if number are your thing then marketing is something to go for. But... you need something to market to begin with.

Personally I don't use social media (faceb.. tw..., disc..., etc), but they are great for getting your 'product' out and getting people to talk about it. I had Facebook pick up VivaMortis on the day it was released - don't know who, how, or why. but there was a lot of traffic from there!

It also helps to have something that can easily be shown and classified. Retro and ZX Spectrum are excellent examples as there is a lot of love around both these. Rogue-like is another, but again people can be very dismissive of what 'they' consider NOT to be a rogue-like.

Lastly. You are 'selling' a product, so it must behave like a product. Have a good title, a look that catches the eye, something that draws people in - and then give it something extra.. polish, that bit of bling that makes people go oooh... ahhh... nice!

I had one person live-stream VivaMortis. The look when the sound was changed to beeps was excellent. something that wasn't expected - even though they used the sampled sound when played. Also the look when they repeatedly fell down a hole. A look of 'I know it was my fault, but I HATE YOU'. make something easy then twist it a bit to punish - but not too hard. Give people a task and a reward for doing something right.

We all get frustrated and disheartened when we have something that just isn't liked (although I think secretly we already know it not brilliant). Sometimes that's the way it is - not your fault, just circumstances.

I think the best advice I can give is to Listen. If anyone says anything, good or bad. Look at what and why they are saying it. it's not a personal attack. maybe they just don't think the way you think, or dont have a middle mouse button or don't like the color blue or whatever. but there may be something in what they are saying that can guide you to a better product, or better graphics, or better colors, or font use. :)

iWasAdam

oh, and one more thing:
Spend time to really learn you chosen language/environment. If you like the language but hate the ide, then use one that works (for you). the same for the language. if you can't get to grips with Unity, but lurve AGK, then really get to know AGK.
Can't do graphics? then just use characters and squares - you'll be surprised how not having graphics will focus your attention on gameplay, etc

Derron

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 05, 2019, 11:41:51
Can't do graphics? then just use characters and squares - you'll be surprised how not having graphics will focus your attention on gameplay, etc

Make the "cannot do" to your "gameplay".
Cannot draw? Make "Square Dance" literal and create a game about dancing / rhythm-moving squares

Cannot create music? Create an adventure about a deaf person - or a game in which a big "whatever boom" made a noise instantly deafening all people - sounds do no longer play an important rule

Cannot write texts? Arcade games, logic games ... they do not need a story so much.

Cannot create games? Go away :-)

PS: we derail my thread... hehe

bye
Ron