August 25, 2019, 09:19:19 AM

Author Topic: One week at itch.io  (Read 619 times)

Offline Derron

One week at itch.io
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:25:01 PM »
Ok, so one week ago I created an entry for Genus Prime at itch.io. I also created a "release thread there".
While every download might lead to a moment of enjoyment for some person in the world I think the download count is pretty... disencouraging.

How are your experiences? Projects with more "dev log"-activity get more downloads? Projects with other "gfx" get more, or is it the genre? Or are my numbers already "good" for a website having a high number of submissions each day?

For now I must admit that it is not satisfying to put energy into a "game profile" there - creating banner/cover/... takes some time (not much but it takes a bit) with a so low download count.
Only benefit was, that google ranks itch.io way higher than syntaxbomb - so googling for "Genus Prime" now also contains my game on "page 1".

bye
Ron

Offline grindalf

Re: One week at itch.io
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
well you already have more downloads than the only game I put on itch. I think its just so over saturated with games that they disappear to quickly

Offline LineOf7s

• LineOf7s Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
It's about exposure, first and foremost.  And as feedback, you just created a thread to a captive audience of interested parties and you didn't provide a link to your game (or to your release thread which perhaps has a link in it).  I absolutely would have clicked on such a link, but heading off to Google or itch.io to search for it is another kettle of fish altogether.

Offline therevills

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »
Totally agree, it is about exposure. So you have an itch page, cool  8), its a nice place to put your projects... but you need to let the world know about it!

Offline Derron

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:35:19 AM »
I posted the url on the Genus Prime thread here. This thread now is not about promoting my entry..its about discussing if it is worth to put my stuff to itch.io.

There was a time at my website (gamezworld.de) at which I uploaded game reviews and the first day alone let to some hundred downloads of each game.
My assumption is market saturation (free paid games on stream, humble bundles...). And the provision of so many new games each day ..leads to skipped audience awareness.

To get featured you need to have luck (right moment, suiting media to catch awareness of the itch.io team...).

I did by intention only place it there for now (in addition to here) to see what influence/effect this page has.

Next try will be indiedb (brought some DL in the past ...for TVTower.
TVTower had the luck to get reviewed my some bigger German portals (computer bild, chip, netzwelt,...) ...and even if it is a German game..with a (previously big) German fanbase of the game we tribute to.... the downloads provided by these portals are having a low share to the total downloads.
Most downloads are coming from the website itself (people looking for the game on google...or maybe searching for remakes/clones of Mad TV... And word of mouth of course).
When a lets player tried our game (and none of the biggest lets players!) this lead to alone 1000 downloads.

Indiedb lead to... about as much downloads (internationally this time..) as the smaller "netzwelt" page. And yes, Releases got start page announcements on indiedb.

Regardless of download counts... The sole awareness provided by the portals allowed to get an wikipedia entry for the game (German only...and I am not allowed to write an English variant ;-)). Helps to raise google ranking even more.

Bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
what other places were you using as download hubs - you mentioned indiedb? I've only used Itch.io

How come you can't write an english version of the wikipedia?

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
You are lucky that your german entry was not removed. Usually Wikipedia is pretty strick regarding selfpromotion. Not allowed. Or writing anything about yourself. Not allowed.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
I put Envahi onto a list of game remakes on wikipedia a couple of weeks after I finished it but later found it had been removed due to self publicising my own work. You might find this happens later on if a moderator goes sniffing around.

Offline Xerra

• Retro Evolved
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
As for Itch you're not really discovering something that's not already noticeable. Unless you make people aware of your game then you only find that a few people actually will see it unless they're specifically looking for the game because the site has a huge amount of content. Even using hash tags, filling all the image and banner slots, doing dev posts and all the other facilities it offers will only get you a small amount of notice. Basically, I'm using it to host the game and, if I had a game worth really pushing or trying to sell, then I would be trying to hype the game anywhere and everywhere else I could. I would want the game to be viewed (and downloaded/purchased) from the Itch site though just because of the analytics facility. You can see where the people who have viewed the game have come from which I think is great and very useful.

I've attached a similar screenshot of Damnation Alley's analytics thus far so you can see that most people are probably in the same boat. The only reason my downloads will be higher is because people downloaded my game from Itch for the voting where you posted yours after us guys would have already had it.

Offline Derron

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
what other places were you using as download hubs - you mentioned indiedb? I've only used Itch.io

How come you can't write an english version of the wikipedia?

For now I only posted about the game here in the forums (these rcforum-dudes recognized it too) and on itch.io (after competition/voting ended). Even on my websites I did not loose a word about it (yet).

Regarding English version:

You are lucky that your german entry was not removed. Usually Wikipedia is pretty strick regarding selfpromotion. Not allowed. Or writing anything about yourself. Not allowed.

It wasn't written by me. And as you said it is not allowed for one to write an article for their project. As there were no volunteers/fans/... to write the English version you now know why it doesn't exist yet.
As written above I had the benefit for TVTower of being rather "popular" after the years. It's linked in the Mad TV-article, it's linked from various web portals, I gave small interviews (if you speak German - feel free to listen to the 1hr or so podcast at https://insertmoin.de/im1591-le-brunch-entwicklerinterview-tv-tower-tv-gigant/ - think at least some of you guys here - eg. Mike - are Germans so might uhm "enjoy" my Saxonian dialect :p).

BTW I think it is also listed in some of these Open Source game lists. But TVTower has also the benefit of having some "fans" already. Means there are people who actively inform platforms about new updates. Some platforms actively monitor our changes and update once the writer of the article recognizes an update (maybe "friends of the game" too).

@ Xerra
Thanks for the shot.
Interesting how much "impressions" differ ... yours 111, mine already >3,000.

bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
ok, here are the VivaMortis itch.io results  :o

I should add that I did NO publicity for this. VivaMortis was picked up by facebook - I'm not on facebook - go figure? It was also shown being played on a couple of Spanish language youetubes!

The key things that got itch.io was the ZX Spectrum interest - this seemed to really push people.

It is also the biggest download of anything ever I've got on Itch.io. I do have a following for the graphics tools which ticks over at about 3-5 downloads each day!

One things I notice on mine and on the above itch.io results is the general curve is about the same - initial hit with longer tail, then going to very few. so it seems the first impression is the best one to make.

Offline Derron

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 12:19:57 PM »
Thanks Adam ... your screen shows only last 30 days ... so maybe you could go "further back in time" to really show the peak start ?

bye
Ron

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
no problem. here it is from the day updated 27th March:

Offline Pfaber11

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
Yeah I publish on Itch.io and have to say overall it's been pretty disappointing . The first few days is pretty ok but after that my stuff just gets buried under a sea of free games . I think 800 downloads is awesome though . I average 1 download to every 3 views which is ok in my book . I think 6 downloads is the best I've managed in a day. Recently created a website for my stuff with links pointing to my games on Itch.io. Seems to of helped out a bit . Happy coding .

Offline Pfaber11

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
A quick lesson in how to put a screen shot onto syntax bomb please . Can't get it to post for some reason and you guys seem to be doing it ok . spill the beans please .