Learning Python

Started by Pfaber11, April 30, 2019, 14:13:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

Well I've been at this 3 weeks or so now and am going to try a simple game . Hopefully when complete it'll be good enough to put on my website . We'll see I suppose . Just gotta come up with the right idea I suppose .  Was on my phone last night and typed  python into the play store . It came up with loads of stuff books and all sorts . Phone IDE s too . Downloaded about ten books so far and I feel I should take the time to read then . There's also a ton of stuff on you tube and I've watched a few videos on there . Also enrolled in a udemy coarse for free . Hopefully in twelve months I'll be answering questions on here instead of asking them . Have a nice day.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

Picked up another free pdf book today called Python Pocket Reference 5th Edition. Definitely worth having . I've just discovered that windows ten will read your pdf files to you . It's not perfect but is pretty good and I read along with it . Watched a few videos on you tube for beginners and now going to move onto the intermediate  ones . I had a go at Java last year for a couple of weeks and got nowhere with it Python is a lot easier than that in my opinion. According to what I have read Python is a procedural language as well as an oop  language  so I guess it can be used either way . Bonjour
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

I was reading somewhere that C++ is around 400 times faster than Python and have also read that Panda3d is nearly as fast as C++ . I've  done an example program of panda3d and it does look pretty impressive . Was a bit put off by all this talk of nodes but have found out it's just another name for objects . Still practising with pygame and to be honest it is a bit slow for my liking . Tried all the ways I can think of to smooth out the graphics and speed things up but I now Know panda3d does 2d stuff as well as 3d so I might just head off in that direction .   

Pfaber11

Just completed a very small coarse on Udemy for free . Learnt a couple of things with it  Got the certificate . Although I watched all of it and paid attention I could of slept through it and still got the certificate . But what would of been the point of that. Thinking of doing another one this afternoon. I think using video tutorials seems to be a good way to learn . Have a nice day.

Pfaber11

Decided to try pypy3.6 again . I've got it installed ok as when  I click on pypy3.exe it takes me into the shell . However when I try to use it with wing personal7 which is the python IDE I use it just doesn't seem to work . I've taken a screen shot which I'll place here and maybe somebody can tell me where I'm going wrong . If not I'll try another IDE and see if that helps . Here's the screen shot.

Pfaber11

Well I got pypy3.6 v.7.1.1 up and running on pycharm community addition along with pyglet . Can't get pygame running as of yet but hoping pyglet will be ok for now. Still got python 3.7.3 installed and running in the wing personal 7 IDE. Anyway if anybody wants to try this pypy out and want's any tips just ask away.   It's still python but on steroids running at 5 or 7 times as fast. Can't wait to get into both of these and do some comparisons. Good evening.

Pfaber11

Had some problems using pyglet  in that the program kept getting stuck anyway decided for now just to use standard python with pygame and ratcave . Apparently ratcave can expand pygame for 3d graphics . Found some documentation on it and will try it out shortly . All going well with python although I should imagine I'm  just scratching the surface . Now I'm getting used to the syntax and the style of it I'm finding it ok . At first I couldn't get ratcave to install and what cured it was installing ms c++ build tools . Works fine now . It's just over a gig to download but did the trick. Feels good to be using pygame again after trying out pyglet and really not liking it . Anyway that's it from me . Happy coding .

Pfaber11

Well guys after learning python for a couple of months I have decided it's not the language for me . Much prefer AGK classic for a few reasons . If I would of wanted to do the same stuff as I'm used to doing I would of had to learn Panda 3d  as well as python and I don't think I want to spend the next year learning it especially when I can do some cool stuff in AGK classic. So that's it I'm back to AGK classic which I know and love .  By the way was on steam earlier and for the next couple of days you can pick up AGK classic for £16.50 on steam. It's a bargain in my opinion. Bonjour.
Just thought I would add to this and that is Python and pygame are not a patch on AGK . Just my opinion. AGK is a lot smoother too.  8) 8)
Just to add I did enjoy python and it is very flexible with all the modules  just not my cup of tea.

Pfaber11

This is to be my last post in this thread . I went from blitz3D to AGK2 to Python back to AGK2 and now on to Pure Basic . All in a two year period .I hope this is gonna be it for at least a year but who knows . Going from Python back to AGK2 was great
and I felt at home with it . Why am I changing  to Pure Basic after 21 months basically I want to produce machine code exe's instead of byte code . I know it's not that much faster but it is faster and speed is everything to me when it comes to programming . I also like the syntax. But if I find PB is not for me which I very much doubt then I will be going back to AGK classic. Bonjour

RemiD

I want to produce machine code exe's instead of byte code . I know it's not that much faster but it is faster and speed is everything to me when it comes to programming
seeing the complexity of your games, maybe consider that what you really need is to learn to optimize your procedures (don't check all entities each loop), your systems (don't update what does not need to be updated), your rendering (don't render what is not visible or has not changed)...

Pfaber11

yes you are right how did you know I check all entities per cycle . but yes only check what needs to be checked . My coding is improving and I'm getting smarter with my code . Enjoy your evening .

KonohaHokage

Try this python tutorial too for learning it from the best and to have a better edge over it.

p.s. admin don't delete this. lol!

thanks in advance
konoha hokage

Aurel [banned]

I must react on this...

Who ,or in which interest is to push Python everywhere ?
Most of us know that python is not good doe many things because is toooo slow...
And also is so limited because depend on 3th party libs...
so why all this propeganda ....data sciance ....machine learning(what ever that junk mean).
(Y)

Scaremonger

Python is mostly an interpreted language so yes; its slower than anything compiled, but it can be very powerful and elegant. I started using it simply to serve a basic webpage that I could use to test another application. I did that in 5 lines of code and I still use it occasionally. Try building the same in Blitzmax and I'd be there all day!

Part of the reason it's become so popular is that the syntax can be simple for people who are not professional programmers. Having a library that can do Statistical Analysis or Neural Networks etc. means users can concentrate on the data instead of the code. I have turned to it to analyse data myself and it's often a lot easier to write in Python than in BlitzMax or other high level languages.

I am primarily a hobby programmer, but have produced commercial and private code for clients over the years. I have used a lot of programming languages since I started in 1981 and include amongst them Assembler and Scripting languages. I have written Demos, Prototypes, Web apps, Desktop apps, Libraries, Firmware, Microcode and Printer drivers and each one has different requirements.

I wouldn't write a GUI app in Assembler or firmware in Python, but I would look at the requirements of the software and select the best languages to write it and test it. Python is one of those tools I would consider and it I think it should have it's place in everyone's toolkit.

Si...

Aurel [banned]

First i don't use BlitzMax
ouh ..just in 5 lines of code were behind this five lines hangin C or C++ or whatever else in some sort of
library , i am sure that python is not that powerfull that can build web site in 5 lines using core interpreter.
But i really dont like all that glorifiaction of python over  anything else >:(

QuotePython is one of those tools I would consider and it I think it should have it's place in everyone's toolkit.

I have it on my computer just for testing programs from github, performance of GUI apps are very poor and sor some
others too, then there is no real good connection between winapi and pyInterpreter..etc..etc
(Y)