August 25, 2019, 12:24:51 AM

Author Topic: [ GLBASIC ] Galaxix - Source code  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Qube

• Administrator
[ GLBASIC ] Galaxix - Source code
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »
Way back in 2011 I wrote a game with GLBasic called Galaxix. It was always a dream of mine to write something in the vein of Elite. It was only ever released on the iPad.

It took me a year to learn GLBasic and code this and I'll happily say I loved every minute. It took me a week to write the main theme tune as it was all new tools to learn and use.

Since Apple have moved over to 64bit only apps and the hassle it would cause to update this way old game, I've decided to release it for free ( open source if you like ). It's not been available for sale for quite a while so I think it's safe to say it's had it's day.

I notice in the latest GLBasic version that the particle effects are screwed up because of alpha issues. This was not the case in the version I originally used to write this in.

It works on Windows with the cursor keys / A, Z & Space for fire + mouse.

At the very least you can see my wacky brute force global variable approach from 6 years ago. I think I'm still a old school grunt when it comes to coding games.

Little clip of in game action :

Download link : http://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/Galaxix.zip
Until the next time...

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
Re: Galaxix - Source code
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Wow Cube, I just had a look at your YT videos about Galaxix. GREAT JOB! Did you do all the art yourself?

Offline Rooster

• I don't know what this does...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
I like how the way the player ship moves feels right. :)

Offline Steve Elliott

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
Very nice  :)

How did you produce the female voice?
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspbian Buster, pi4 4Gb RAM,1.5Ghz

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
Did you do all the art yourself?
I did everything apart from the background image at space stations where you buy and sell goods.

It was my first attempt at a 3D game and as it had to work on an iPad 1 then textures are low.

How did you produce the female voice?
A Mac app called "Speak it! Text to Speech". The samples were then pit through another app to add reverb.
Until the next time...