Learning Python

Started by Pfaber11, April 30, 2019, 14:13:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

As I posted elsewhere on this forum I have taken it on myself to try and learn Python . Well I'm 2 days in and am struggling a bit . wish they had some decent documentation like AGK2 . What I need is a list of all the key words and commands with examples of how to use them . I'm only on my second day and was hoping to at least by able to open a graphics window or any window for that matter . I'll post back here when I make some progress. installed another module for it  called pygame . It's a module for game programming  that's 3 I've got so far . If anybody has any advice on where to start it'd be most welcome . I've read a few tutorials and am watching videos on you tube.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Derron

Python itself does not have that many "commands" you have to learn.

If you use libraries/modules then of course you need to learn their commands - and it depends on the module on how well they are documented.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Regarding pygame.... it took me not even a minute to google for it, find its website. Top menu.. getting started. And there tutorials.

MikeHart

Btw. google for w3schools and python. The damn internet is full of tutorials.

Pfaber11

yes just gotta get used to the coding style . found some good stuff about pygame to get me started . This oop stuff is taking some getting used to. I will not give up . what I could really do with is some printed out example code to get the ball rolling.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Pfaber11

Thanks MikeHart just downloaded the 4 python books in the bundle paid a dollar. not bad considering The AGK tutorials are 20 to 30 quid each. so far my python setup has only cost me a dollar. not bad really in fact it's awesome. gonna get some serious reading in today. the way I see it is if I don't get on with it by the 10th June I'll be downloading AGK studio so got over a month to try and get to grips with it. When I started with AGK2 it took a few months to find my feet so I'm going to be patient. Thanks and thumbs up on the books.

Rick Nasher

Perhaps this helps too:

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/codeclub

Then just follow the 3 python links and more if you have a Pi.

And as Mike suggested:
https://www.w3schools.com/python/default.asp

They are usually pretty good at showing all that's possible.

For keywords etc: https://www.w3schools.com/python/python_reference.asp

Pfaber11

Don't have a pie but the link to the school seems pretty good. thanks.

Krischan

Thanks for the books hint - I've just bought it too. I've never coded anything in Python until last week - I had to rewrite a Python script and so I got into it. It's a nice language but I've only scratched the surface yet.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Pfaber11

Hey that's cool i've got a few lines down so far but that's about it . Installed pygame so will be taking a look at that soon .
I'm coming from AGK2 what is your main language before python ? I think it's gonna take months before I get  to grips with it but what the hell I've got the time  at the moment . I almost stopped after a few days but have got back on the wagon . The hardest thing is getting those first few lines down to start the ball rolling . Which I have now. We're off.

Pfaber11

well I've been playing with python most of the evening and now know how to open a window using pygame. I am progressing slowly . trying to find a command the equivalent of sleep in AGK but am finding it hard at the moment . The documentation is very slow to use but I am getting there in small steps . according to what I have read using panda 3d is as fast as c++ . we'll see I suppose . sticking to pygame for now . Don't want to try and run before I can walk . Gonna try and write a simple ish game and see what I come up with . probably gonna take me a couple of months but should learn a bit from it . That's what I did with AGK and seems to be the way to do it . A way anyway. Bonjour

Pfaber11

Well my task today will be to put some graphics on the screen , and maybe get them moving . onwards and upwards . I'll let you know how I get on once I've done it (if).

Pfaber11

well I'm getting there got graphics working . Bought myself a notebook and a few pens and am making notes . Feeling much more confident I can do this now , The pieces of the puzzle are coming together and faster than I thought . The 16 months I spent learning AGK2 are really helping me now . I think I'm gonna like python after all. using pygame  at the moment but I think It only does 2d but also got panda3d for the 3d stuff but I'll concentrate on what I'm doing now to get me going then in a few weeks I should be ready to move onto the 3d side of it . I think I've put in about a week so far and am happy with my progress . So far I've spent 1 dollar on some e books and a quid on a notebook and some pens . would I recommend  python to anybody else  the truth is I don't know but I will in a couple of months . I'm hoping that the games I produce will be as good as the ones I've made with AGK2 and from the demo I've seen of panda3d I believe this is attainable. Have a nice evening I'm gonna take a quick look around on here then off to read a book on yes you guessed it python.

Pfaber11

By the way guys thanks for all the links you guys have posted . This is the first time I've tried anything different to basic and I think it's sinking in now . Did have a problem converting my .py files to exe files . It does it then at the end says I don't have permissions at the end . Anybody know how I can resolve this . they run fine as .py files.